Subject: [Spridgets] Plates, Tags, Registrations, and Titles

From: David Doiron via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 23:10:07 -0700 (MST)

Dear Daniel, 
Depends on the state. 

All states have plates. They used to be dated for a single year and 
had to be replaced annually. Occasionally the plate design would change 
as well. 

Then they started making undated plates. Law enforcement would know if 
the plate was current by: a sticker on the plate (some states) or a 
sticker on the windscreen (called "Tags" and primarily used in the 
Eastern states, not used in the Western states) (the term "Tags" is 
sometimes used by Easterners to refer to plates. 
Not done in the West)

Title is a paper that indicates car ownership. Some states do not use 
titles once a car reaches a certain age. I know Indiana as one case.

You did not mention Registration, but all states require some form. 
It can be for just one or for multiple years. It is primarily a tax. 
States used to require that the registration be visible to law 
enforcement looking in the drivers window. Common methods were little 
plastic cases that were strapped to the steering column or to the 
sunscreen. 
The collapse of civilization ended that practice. Crooks would get the 
address off the registration then go burglarize your home...
The simple tax disc is a much more elegant system.

Safety and/or smog inspections are another whole different can of worms.
Amicalement,
W David & Diane Doiron
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Weslake1330 via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:11:15 +0100

--===============7024367196164595776==

--00000000000084db4305cb586aab

Hi David, - First reply was yours - thanks - I'll read the rest in a
minute.  Perhaps you've not been over here since they abandoned having to
display a tax disc on your car - dumb idea or what!  Also, at least pre 73
is MOT (UK inspection equivalent exempt) - go figure.

Regards

Daniel

On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 07:10, David Doiron via Spridgets <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

--00000000000084db4305cb586aab
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi David, - First reply was yours - thanks - I&#39;ll read=
 the rest in a minute.=C2=A0 Perhaps you&#39;ve not been over here since th=
ey abandoned having to display a tax disc on your car - dumb idea or what!=
=C2=A0 Also, at least pre 73 is MOT (UK inspection equivalent exempt) - go =
figure.<div><br></div><div>Regards</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>=
Daniel</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"=
gmail_attr">On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 07:10, David Doiron via Spridgets &lt;<a=
 href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0=
px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dear Dani=
el, <br>
Depends on the state. <br>
<br>
All states have plates. They used to be dated for a single year and <br>
had to be replaced annually. Occasionally the plate design would change <br=
as well. <br>
<br>
Then they started making undated plates. Law enforcement would know if <br>
the plate was current by: a sticker on the plate (some states) or a <br>
sticker on the windscreen (called &quot;Tags&quot; and primarily used in th=
e <br>
Eastern states, not used in the Western states) (the term &quot;Tags&quot; =
is <br>
sometimes used by Easterners to refer to plates. <br>
Not done in the West)<br>
<br>
Title is a paper that indicates car ownership. Some states do not use <br>
titles once a car reaches a certain age. I know Indiana as one case.<br>
<br>
You did not mention Registration, but all states require some form. <br>
It can be for just one or for multiple years. It is primarily a tax. <br>
States used to require that the registration be visible to law <br>
enforcement looking in the drivers window. Common methods were little <br>
plastic cases that were strapped to the steering column or to the <br>
sunscreen. <br>
The collapse of civilization ended that practice. Crooks would get the <br>
address off the registration then go burglarize your home...<br>
The simple tax disc is a much more elegant system.<br>
<br>
Safety and/or smog inspections are another whole different can of worms.<br=
Amicalement,<br>
W David &amp; Diane Doiron<br>
------------------------<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">spridgets@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
ets/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000084db4305cb586aab--

--===============7024367196164595776==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============7024367196164595776==--