Subject: [Spits] Been lurking too long, need sympathy

From: "Jim Muller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:47:57 -0400

Okay, I admit I've been lurking for a decade.  At least it seems that way.  My 
GT6 has been driven a bit but the Spitfire hasn't been registered for a few 
months and hasn't been inspected in two years.  And that brings me to why I'm 
wriiting now.

The poor Spitfire sat for so long the gas tank went dry.  O'h, I've fired it up 
oncte or twicte and even put a trickle charger on the battery occasionally.  
But now it refuses to start.  So I spent a few hours today, hours I rarely have 
available these days, taking the carburator (or carburettor or carburatter or 
however you wish it spelt) off the manifold, checking the fool pump, etc.  It 
fires with starting fluif but isn't getting any gasoline.  (And I've had a few 
beers now so forgive the typing please.)  I had poured a gallon or so of gas 
into the tank and verified that the fool pump is pushing it though.  The float 
bowl may be getting gas now, but maybe not,  It takes foreverrrrrr to get the 
carb off because of the inacccccessible nuts on those mounting nuts.  The only 
problem I can think of is that the float valve is stuck closed even though the 
floats and the shaft thingy it presses against seem okay.  I should have just 
pulled the valve out while I had the carb off.  Hindsight is a winderful thong.

I wonder how long it will be before I can find the time to try all this again.

A wayward member,
Jim

-- 
Jim Muller
[email-masked]
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 21:26:38 -0600

Yep, you may have to pull the inlet valves out and give them a good 
cleaning.

By the way, a couple weeks ago during Blue Grass Express [ krcl.org, 
Sundays 1 - 4 pm MDT ] they played a Southern Rail tune.

mjb.

[email-masked]