Subject: Re: [Spits] Rear Suspension

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 00:43:43 +0200

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:15:56 +0200

Trying this again - looks like a blank message was received by the list...
Joe
B 
Jim -
Sounds like the bushing is worn out. Pretty typical on this age of Spit. You
can replace all the suspension bushings with urethane types for not a lot of
money. It can make some cars drive like they are brand new.
B 
Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a "nut splitter". The pimple
faced kid behind the desk will look at you like you have antennas growing out
of your head, but a good store will have one in stock. Should do the trick for
you. It loops over the nut and then a sharp wedge is tightened against the nut
to split it. Sometimes you have to split them twice (on opposite sides, natch)
to get the nut to fall off.
B 
If this link doesn't work - search for "nut splitter" on amazon.com.
B 
http://www.amazon.com/Steelgrip-2265015-Nut-Splitter-Piece/dp/B003MQIVZA/ref=
sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435012642&sr=8-2&keywords=nut+splitter
B 
Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
[email-masked]
B 

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:43:39 -0400
From: "Jim Cullen" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Spits] Rear Suspension Question

Happy Fatherbo?=s Day to all the Dadbo?=s out there...

Given that it is Fatherbo?=s day I thought it was finally time to diagnose
and
hopefully fix a tapping/rattling/metalic sound that seemed to be coming from
the passenger rear wheel area. Now I am half way through it I am at a bit of
a
crossroads and thought before I plow ahead it might make sense to get some
informed advice beyond my own limited experience (which is limited to trial
and error as things have failed over the last 20 years).

First the history - The sound started last year and Jade (74 Spitfire) has
been in the garage on the DL since. I have learned over the years of owning
this car the hard way to not ignore these types of sounds from the rear end
(5-6 years ago the right rear axle sheared off mid flight leaving me with
three wheels instead of the required 4, but that is another story). Anyhow, I
had an inkling the offending noise might be coming from the rear leaf spring
(as I noted it seems to be a tapping type sound). So, I got the read end
jacked up and the rear leaf spring seems ok, except there seemed to be a bit
of an extra gap/space where the rear leaf spring connects to the vertical
link. I decided to try and tighten up the nyloc nut and bolt that attaches
the
vertical link to the leaf spring.... after 3-4 minutes I realized I am not
making any headway in tightening it despite using a 5/8 spanner @ one end and
a 11/16 ratchet on the other. I then decided to remove the nut and bolt with
the aim of replacing the bolt/nyloc nut. Unfortunately after another 2-3
minutes I realize that despite the nut seeming to turn I am not making any
progress. After some deductive reasoning I am thinking that the nyloc nut is
stripped on the bolt. Now to R and R I am thinking that I will need to cut
out
the bolt/nut.

Questions:

1) What is the easiest way to cut out this bolt/nut bo?= i) using a hacksaw
and
cutting between the link and the end of the leaf spring? ii) use a dremel to
cut off the bolt/nut @ the nut end?
2) If this bolt/nut is not snug, is there a reasonable chance that this (and
the corresponding gap/looseness) was the source of the
tapping/rattling/metalic sound from the rear end?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

------------------------------
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]