Subject: [Spits] Driveshaft removal question, and carb heatshield

From: "Kevin Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 17:42:19 -0400

Hello all,

I finally got around to ordering a new driveshaft for my Spitfire ('74ish
with O/D). I currently have the CV-joint type and that joint is about done.
I've owned the car for 19 years and only recently found out that thing is
supposed to have a boot on it and be filled with grease - uh, oops. Since it
has been about 15 years since I have had the driveshaft out of the car,
could someone remind me as to whether the bolts on the transmission end are
accessible from underneath the car? I am vaguely remembering that they are
not, which means some interior disassembly is required. Also, which  way
around is the new driveshaft supposed to go, or does it not matter? This is
assuming the flanges are the same on both ends, of course. 

I also finally ordered some new rear brake drums to replace the slightly
warped current ones, Freddie is going to be so smooooth this summer!
Debating removing the diff and having new oil seals put on while I am
unbolting things. The place marking is getting a bit past the acceptable
level. Sigh. 

Another small project is that I ordered one of the fancy stainless steel
carb heat shields from Moss Europe - I have dual SUs but have never had a
heat shield on the car. Does that go in front of or behind the spacers
between the carbs and the manifold? Should I use a bit of gasket maker
against the heat shield to prevent air leaks? 

After a couple summers of not much use, I am bound and determined to DRIVE
the little guy this summer. Odometer is at ~99300, I want to see all those
0's! I bought him in '96 with ~77K showing. Getting to be time for a
freshening up too. In the next couple years I think a paint job and another
interior rehab are due. Previous owner painted the car in his garage (and it
looks good, considering that) and I redid the interior 18 years ago. Both
are looking a little worn now, and the driver's seat frame is showing its
age with some "gangsta lean".

I don't know if I have ever shared a picture, but here is the little guy
with his BIG sister:

https://flic.kr/p/gK4igd

Thanks for the advice, and thanks to Mark for making this possible all these
years!

Kevin Rhodes

Westbrook, Maine (finally warm enough to get out in an LBC)

Freddie the Spitfire
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive