Subject: [Spits] Electronic ignition

From: Doug Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 20:05:17 -0400

Spitted ones,
I am finally ready to bite the bullet and replace the points with electronic ignition. Any recommendations? I've looked at the Pertronix, are there any others? I want to keep the existing distributor as I like the mechanical tach.
Thanks,

Doug
[email-masked]
Sent from my mobile phone
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 08:21:24 -0400

A previous owner installed a Crane Cams XR700 unit on our GT6 MK 3. It has
worked perfectly over the years. It does have a separate control box that is
mounted on the cowl. If you use a Pertronix, make sure to feed it with a
full 12 volts and not through the ballast resistor/wire. The lower voltage
will kill the unit.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: Spitfires [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug
Mitchell
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:05 PM
To: Spitfires
Subject: [Spits] Electronic ignition

Spitted ones,
I am finally ready to bite the bullet and replace the points with electronic
ignition. Any recommendations? I've looked at the Pertronix, are there any
others? I want to keep the existing distributor as I like the mechanical
tach.
Thanks,

Doug
[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:12:27 -0400

Last week, I inquired about which electronic ignition to use. I purchased a Pertronix, and started to install it yesterday. This is on a 73, US spec 1500. Can someone please tell me the physical location of the ballast resistor?

Thanks,
Doug
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Gingerich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:36:28 -0500

On a 73 I believe it is a wire in the wiring harness.  There is no separate
resistor.  My 74 is that way as well.  When I did  my Pertronix I just ran
the 2 wires to the 2 terminals on the coil.  It's been running fine for
about 12 years.

BillG #133

-----Original Message-----
From: Spitfires [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug
Mitchell
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:12 AM
To: Spitfires
Subject: Re: [Spits] Electronic Ignition

Last week, I inquired about which electronic ignition to use. I purchased a
Pertronix, and started to install it yesterday. This is on a 73, US spec
1500. Can someone please tell me the physical location of the ballast
resistor?

Thanks,
Doug
[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:21:21 -0400

Thanks to all rhat replied. I took Bill's suggestion and connected it to the second terminal on the coil, and, after resetting the timing, it fired right up and is running great. It turns out that had I had the time to play with the timing yesterday it would have been fine.

Once again, thanks for everyones help.

Doug
[email-masked]

-------- Original message --------
From: Bill Gingerich <[email-masked]> 
Date: 09/19/2014  12:36 PM  (GMT-05:00) 
To: 'Doug Mitchell' <[email-masked]>,[email-masked] 
Subject: RE: [Spits] Electronic Ignition 
 
On a 73 I believe it is a wire in the wiring harness.B  There is no separate
resistor.B  My 74 is that way as well.B  When I didB  my Pertronix I just ran
the 2 wires to the 2 terminals on the coil.B  It's been running fine for
about 12 years.

BillG #133

-----Original Message-----

Thanks,
Doug
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Greg Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:32:51 -0400

I may be incorrectly reading what you are saying, but Petronix specifies a 12
volt source for the red wire -if you hook it up to the + terminal of a 6 volt
coil (e.g. one with a ballast resistor), the Pertronix unit will workbut the
general experience is that it will have a shortened life (Petronix isn't
saying for sure about this, but they do insist on a 12 volt coil which implies
that they agree).
You can probably use any source that provides 12 volts crank and run OR bypass
the ballast resistor(running a non-ballasted wire next to it is sufficient
without disconnecting the ballast wire sincethe current will take the easier
path) and change your 6 volt coil to a 12 volt.
Good luck!
Greg Rowe1979 Spitfire
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:21:21 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Thanks to all rhat replied. I took Bill's suggestion and connected it to the
second terminal on the coil, and, after resetting the timing, it fired right
up and is running great. It turns out that had I had the time to play with the
timing yesterday it would have been fine.

[email-masked]