Subject: [Spits] Rear End Noise.... dumb question

From: "Jim Cullen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 12:30:04 -0400

Hi listers.....

I wonder if I could get some insight/advice on a knocking noise that seems to
be coming from the RH side of my rear end. I notice it more @ once I get up to
about 50 km/hr, especially over bumps (to the point I thought it was the shock
absorber and replaced that to see if it disappears as it seemed to sound like
the shock absorber was bbottoming outbb unfortunately, no joy there),
and when making left turns. After doing some research (see link b
http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/archive/index.php/t-28039.html) I thought
it might be the uv joint for the RH driveshaft (note that these were replaced
relatively recently, but from reading the experiences of others the relative
bnewnessb of the driveshaft may not preclude the uv joints of the
driveshaft from being the culprit).

I have the car now jacked up and have done an inspection of the uv joints. I
donbt see any evidence of play in the uv joint and the circlips on the joint
appear tight. Is there a better way to diagnosis the uv joints a possible
issue? I thought I should check the propshaft uv joint too, but this seems
okay too.

Here is my dumb  question, with the car jacked up and in neutral when I hand
turn the prop shaft I note the LH side drive turns in unison with the
propshaft, but the RH side doesnbt (it lags or doesnbt turn). I know I
should know if this is an issue, but despite having this car for close to 20
years and doing most of the work on it myself (as well as being an eager, but
novice mechanic) I essentially know very little about the differential (other
than what I learned from the Haynes manual and from when I replaced the
driveshafts a year and a half ago). So, my dumb question is two part..... is
what I bdescribedb normal? if no.... could it be the source of my rear end
noise (differential needs to be replaced)? I hesitate to name the differential
as the culprit, because most of my research seems to suggest differentialbs
donbt knock like mine is (they bwhine), but given my novice intelligence
about differentialbs Ibm not really sure. Anyhow, I would appreciate some
insight

Thanks for the help,

Jim Cullen
1974 Spitfire
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive