Subject: [Spits] Lucas 1500 electronic distributor wiring

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 08:35:06 -0500

List,

Let me start by saying that I have NON STANDARD wiring in this car, a 1969
Spitfire, so standard color codes WILL NOT APPLY, it has a late model 1500
electronic ignition, that I believe has gone bad.  This unit is one of the
hall effect coil type Lucas type ignitions.  I have another unit, however
it is a Lucas light emitting optical type. I personally prefer this type,
however I need to confirm wiring on these units as they have different
color leads.  Both units have no connectors, only bullet type connections
(long story).  Anyway, the existing unit wiring has white/black, white/red,
and white/blue wires exiting the distributor.  I have these connected as
followsb&w/blk to negative of coil (wht/slate on the 76 wiring diagram).
W/red to drive resistor/+12v run (white on 76 diagram) and w/blue to drive
resistor (wht/blu on 76).  Ran fine for many years.  My dilemma is that the
colors out of the optical unit are different.  They exit the distributor as
red, blue, black.  Anybody have one of these units (normally they have a
Molex type connector on them) that can confirm wiring.  I would assume that
blue = wht/blu, red = w/red, and black = w/blk, but I would like to confirm
before connecting it up.
I can't seem to find anything about the different units, and very little
about the wiring (colors/connections) of these in particular---

I'm really tempted to just chuck it all an get one of those electronic
distributor on eBay for about $90 and be done with it!

Thanksb&

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web LIVE  Free email based on Microsoft. Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive