Subject: [Spits] removing oil pan

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:22:23 -0500

75 spitfire

put in a header and a weber

apparently the clearance between the engine and the frame, even with the
engine mounts loosened, was not quite enough.  required a little help.

not such a good idea; you can see on the header the oil, which of course makes
for extra fun while driving.  the leak clearly is right at the joint b
thatbs where the stain starts on the header.

I figure I need to remove the oil pan, possibly straighten it, and put in a
new gasket.

any big deal?  just drain the oil, unbolt the thing, and then the reverse?
torque in any particular order?  anyone know the spec?

just a little gun shy b when I was a teenager I attempted to remove the
oilpan on a slant 6 chrysler, and found that between the steering rack (I
think) and the frame, the oil pan would not come out.  I believe I had to
cancel a date that night because then I had no car.  or at least postpone it.
did not put me in her good stead.  she married someone else . . .
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 17:39:45 -0500

Hi Dave,

You can drop the oil pan without a lot of work.  You will have to make 
sure the crank throws are horizontal so the pan will clear the crank.

Torque is 16 to 18 lb ft.   I tighten them in about 3 steps and go back 
an forth across the oil pan so I'm not tightening one side at a time.  
Then I go around in a circle to double check the torque and to make sure 
I didn't skip one somehow.

Roger

[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Guinan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 03:52:27 -0400

I'm not sure what you are trying to say you did to "help" get some clearance. B However, lots of times, putting a Weber on reveals leaks that were not noticeable before. B When I put a DGV on my Spit, oil started spurting out the dip stick tube.I guess with the different fittings, the intake was not sucking out enough fumes from the crankcase and enough blowby was getting by the rings to pressurize the block. B This may be your problem too, and you may not have inadvertenly broken the seal between block and oil pan. B What Weber did you put on? B DGV or DCOE? B Both can result in the same leaks occuring.

Anyway, to answer your question... B  People have changed crank and rod bearings with the engine in the car, so "Yes" you can remove the oil pan. B You might have to turn the crankshaft a bit to let the pan wiggle out - depends on where the connecting rod throws are. B 1/4 to 1/2 a turn should be enough if the pan is hitting the crank when you try to remove the pan. B You may find it easier to lift the engine a bit to get the oil pan out. Once out, clean the surfaces, put on the new gasket with sealer on both sides (one side at a time of course...) and re-install. B I tend to always tighten bolts in a "star pattern". B One on the right front, then one on the left rear, then one on the left front, then one on the right rear and so on. B Slightly snug first, then a little tighter, then fully tight. B I could look up the spec, but loose is loose, tight is tight, and overtight breaks bolts. B As long as you don't just start on one bolt and go around the engine tightening them all the way, you are probably not going to have problems.

Then you can run it again and see if new leaks develop. B If not - problem solved! B If there are leaks, we can talk about ideas for eliminating crankcase pressures.

Joe Guinan (just back from the Kastner Cup at Road America in Wisconsin)
Fremont, NE
NASS Member #31
[email-masked]

> ----- Original Message -----

> Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:22:23 -0500
> From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Spits] removing oil pan
> Message-ID: <519AA3E11B08441E9C13ED4B37072293@Datsun>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> 75 spitfire
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Spitfires mailing list
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/spitfires
> 
> 
> End of Spitfires Digest, Vol 7, Issue 57
> ****************************************

[email-masked]

---

From: George Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:39:08 +0000 (UTC)

Isn't the sump capacity only 4 quarts?

Is your charcoal canister (if you have one) clogged?B  That could also cause
elevated pressure inside the block.

My thoughts for today....

v/r,

George P.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Spits] removing oil pan

well, I pulled the pan, cleaned it, painted it, put in a new gasket, and
reinstalled. B oil is indeed coming out the dip stick tube. B all that work
may have been for nought!

can I relieve that oil pressure somwhere/somehow?

I replaced the filter and added 5 qts of oil - was that too much?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Gingerich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:03:32 -0500

Mine takes about 4.5 qts with a Motorcraft FL1A filter.

BillG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of George Parker
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spits] removing oil pan

v/r,

George P.

[email-masked]