Subject: Re: [Spits] Spit clutch adjustment

From: "Clark W. Nicholls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:10:23 -0400

I suggest it may be the throw out bearing arm hinge pin fell out...

Clark
Clark W. Nicholls
1974 Spitfire (FM14571U) 
www.botchagaloop.net for old racing photos
"Reality, it's not what you think."

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of HANS DEFERRANTE
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spits] Spit clutch adjustment

The clutch on my 76 spit suddenly fails to disengage when hot. The  shop
manual  does not mention any adjustment procedure. Does that mean either air
in the hydraulics or worn clutch bearing?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:21:24 -0600

> I suggest it may be the throw out bearing arm hinge pin fell out...

Seems to me that would present a problem cold and hot, and the original 
poster described the problem as when hot.

When the pivot point on my GT6's clutch arm wore completely through, it 
didn't work _at all_. :)

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:30:37 -0400

If air has somehow gotten into the clutch hydraulic system, you can be sure
that fluid has gotten OUT.
Look for signs of leakage on the garage floor or where the clutch pedal
linkage is.

If there is not an obvious, messy leak, I bet it is a problem with the
linkage inside the bellhousing.

Doug

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Michael Porter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/spitfires/doug@**dougbraun.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]