Subject: Re: [Spits] Spit clutch adjustment

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 22:54:54 -0700

You night have worn thrust washers allowing the crank to float rather than
release the clutch.  Check the end float by pushing back on the crank pulley
nut and then measure how far it travels when the clutch is depressed.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of HANS DEFERRANTE
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spits] Spit clutch adjustment

The clutch on my 76 spit suddenly fails to disengage when hot. The  shop
manual  does not mention any adjustment procedure. Does that mean either air
in the hydraulics or worn clutch bearing?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:18:36 -0700

You shouldn't have to worry about keeping the clutch pedal pushed in.  By
pushing it all the way to the floor, the crankshaft will be pushed to its
maximum forward position. Releasing the pedal won't change that.  So you can
use that crank position as the starting point and measure how far back it
will go when you push on the crank pulley.  That will measure the end float.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: HANS DEFERRANTE [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 11:06 AM
To: Joe Curry; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spit clutch adjustment

Thanks Joe,
That makes a lot of sense. Problem is, how to keep the clutch disengaged
while checking the end float? Although slave and master cylinders look OK it
may still be a hydraulic problem. Does someone out there have some nifty
simple idea to keep the clutch disengaged, with the SC removed, while
checking end float?

Hans
61 TR3A
76 Spit

On Jul 27, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Joe Curry wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

[email-masked]

---

From: Hans <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:07:38 -0700

OK, I misunderstood when you said "measure how far it travels with clutch
depressed"
i measured the end float at the pulley to be about an eight of an inch! Wow,
it sounds like the thrust washer dropped out altogether as Donald Locker
suggested. It would explain the suddenness. It being hot was coincidental.
I guess there is no easier fix than an overhaul(?)Too bad, it is running
really well with good compression on all cylinders in spite of all the
caliifornia smog crap on it.
Thanks again,
Hans

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 29, 2013, at 11:18 AM, "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Spits] Spit clutch adjustmenteasrier
>
> Thanks Joe,
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Hans <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 18:38:06 -0700

That is great news, Roger. I just got a workshop manual to check that out. I
can see that is the way to go. I am still tempted to do a conversion to a
Toyota or Nissan drivetrain or whatever some one out there might recommend.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 29, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Roger Elliott <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If that is all that is wrong, you can drop the oil pan and the front main
bearing and put a new ones in.  They come in different thicknesses.  I think
SpitBits has the wides selection of thicknesses.  Goodparts also has a good
selection and his are hardened.
>
> Roger
>
>
> On 07/29/2013 06:07 PM, Hans wrote:

[email-masked]