Subject: Re: [Spits] Finally finished painting my Spit

From: "Quirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:49:40 -0600

Look'n real nice .... excellent project!!!!!

Larry Qu.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug Braun
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 8:50 PM
To: Spitfire Group
Subject: [Spits] Finally finished painting my Spit

After a year, I finally finished painting my Spitfire.  Silly me, I thought
it would take 3 months...
Here's the result:  http://dougbraun.com/blog/sptifire/

Doug
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Kevin Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:55:19 -0400

Looking good! Nearly a twin to Freddie! Same color, different wheels. 

PO painted Freddie himself, and it is still holding up well 18+ years later.
Though entropy is certainly taking its toll.

Kevin in Maine
Freddie the Spitfire

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug Braun
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:50 PM
To: Spitfire Group
Subject: [Spits] Finally finished painting my Spit

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:53:40 -0400

Some PO painted my car before I bought it circa 1990.  That paint job was a
quickie and looked marginal even back then.

Re-painting a card is hard to do well, but re-re-painting is even harder.
You have to get rid of all the second coat, and then you have to deal with
whatever motivated them to repaint it in the first place.  I ended up
replacing the rear lower valence panel (under the rear bumper).  Due to old
accident damage, this was a masterpiece of bondo.  Fortunately I did not
find any unexpected rust.

I removed the windshield, all the lights and trim, door handles, gas filler
neck, headlight buckets, etc.  That made for a lot of extra work, but the
result is much nicer.

Doug

[email-masked]