Subject: [Spits] Incandescent to LED Conversion

From: "Daniel Parrott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:01:28 -0400

I'm looking to perform an conversion from incandescent to led lamps for my
instrument and dash of my Spit-Six Project car.  I researched the Triumph
archives and found a reference to http://www.ledtronics.com/.

Which exactly are the bulb numbers for the screw based bulb (.36" dia. base,
.44" bulb dia. & .93" length) marked as 12V 2.2 watts.

Same for a bayonet-based blub (.36" dia. base, .44" bulb dia. & .93"
length), also 12V and 2.2 watts

Same for a bayonet-based blub (.27" dia. base, .257" bulb dia. & .77"
length), also 12V and 2.2 watts

Which LED's would be the best replacement?  Any help would be appreciated.

Dan Parrott

Savannah, Georgia

1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ", AKA "Rat"

1973/1978 Spit Six "Joseph"

1957 Chevy Belair "Mayflower"
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:25:48 -0500

Hi Dan,

Here are links to LEDs I used in my Spitfire and my wife's TR250. They 
make the gauges very visible at night.

There are a few things I discovered though.
One problem is that they have so little resistance that the dash light 
rheostat doesn't do anything to the brightness of the LEDs. Hasn't 
really bothered me.

Two you have to be careful putting them in as the light part is not 
tightly fixed to the base.  I twisted one of them apart screwing it in.

Three they are a little long to fit inside the domed light filter in the 
gauges.  Some of those domes were already split open, so I just removed 
them.  I did not use the LEDs for any of the indicator lights (brights, 
oil, ammeter, turn signals,etc).

Here is a link to the dash lights I put in my wife's TR 250.  They are
screw base, which is what I suspect you want.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/e10-1-2w-6500k-70-lumen-5-smd-led-car-white-light-bulbs-pair-dc-12v-51359 

Here is a link to bayonet based like Spitfire's use.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ba9s-1-2w-70-lumen-6500k-5-smd-led-car-white-light-bulbs-pair-dc-12v-51198 

They also have the ones that look kind of like fuses that some of the
Triumphs use as trunk lights.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/36mm-0-3w-6-led-6500k-27-lumen-white-light-bulb-for-car-dc-12v-51170 

I tried these: 
http://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-base-t10-concave-led-light.aspx, but 
they didn't make the gauges any brighter.

Roger Elliott
80 Spitfire

On 04/18/2013 02:01 PM, Daniel Parrott wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]

[email-masked]