Subject: Re: [Spits] Rear spring

From: "Clark W. Nicholls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 22:00:24 -0400

Take it off and put it next to a new one...

No, seriously, my Spitfire was a bit low in the back for many years. I
replaced the rear spring back around 1978 after the top leaf snapped. About
5 years ago I removed the diff and spring to replace the diff, it was
clicking inside on curves and turns. At the time I noticed that the rub
buttons towards the end of each leaf were worn away and the leaves were
rubbing and wearing into each other. I dug out another spring from my
collection and the height when set up on the garage floor was over an inch
different. I installed the collection spring, which still had the whatever
they are called buttons in place and the car is taller and quieter.

The clicking in the diff was worn cup washer bearings under the drive spider
gears, btw. Never heard of this. Learn something new... I installed a spare
diff and all is well. The whine I've had since 1976 is now gone too!

I probably should have renewed the buttons of the spring I installed, but at
this point in my life what is there will last "forever".

I think the famous Spitfire Sag on the driver side is due to wear of the
buttons on the driver side more than the passenger. IMHO

Clark
Clark W. Nicholls
1974 Spitfire (FM14571U) 
www.botchagaloop.net for old racing photos
"Reality, it's not what you think."
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive