Subject: [Spits] Koni Shock Dilema

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:03:53 -0500 by=xsmtp10.mail2web.com ident= envfrom=[email-masked] intl=1 id=1Tvdsh-0005JL-89 auth= msa=0 ] by=xsmtp10.mail2web.com ident= envfrom=[email-masked] intl=1 id=1Tvdsh-0005JL-89 auth= msa=0 ]

I was making a CV_Joint conversion on my GT6+ rear ended Spitfire, to
replace the TR6 axle setup I have in there now, when I noticed that the
rear shocks are different. (funny that I never noticed before...)
These have been on the car for probably 25 years or more, and I was
painting them to spruce them up a bit, but I digress.
What I noticed was that the upper welded cover on the drivers side was
shorter (you can see about an inch of shaft when fully extended).
The other side when fully extended has no visible shaft at all I.E. the
cover completely covers the lower tube (which seems better in that nothing
could fly up and damage the shaft or seals).
They are both Konis, and the travel fully extended is the same (haven't
checked the fully compressed condition).
They were purchased new as a set, front and rear,(from one of the big three)

Any ideas...I don't think that the one one the drivers side could be a
spitfire, since I believe that the travel is not the same and I would think
that they would be shorter but I don't have anything to check it with -
fully extended they measure 13 and 13/16ths
the lower tube is 7 inches on all the shocks, the upper tube on the long
one is around 5 inches while the tube on the "short "one is 4 inches

Both of the ones on my 70 GT6+ are like the long one...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web.com  Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft.
Exchange - http://link.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:32:05 -0500

Just wondering:  What are the relative merits of the CV joint vs. rotoflex
vs. TR6 rear suspensions?
Is your setup on an original Spitfire chassis, or does the car have a GT6
chassis?

Thanks,
Doug

[email-masked]