Subject: Re: [Spits] Top Timing cover Screw

From: "Bill Gingerich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:31:59 -0600

I think I put a helicoil in the block on mine.
BillG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roger Elliott
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:18 PM
To: Spitfire list
Subject: [Spits] Top Timing cover Screw

Hi All,

I am putting my engine back together.  One of the screws at the top timing
cover, is held in by the the front engine plate being threaded.  
Right behind that screw is the mounting bracket for the alternator.

Well, the threads in the engine plate are to stripped to hold the screw, and
I can't put a nut on the backside of the plate as the bracket does not allow
room for one.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Did you find a solution?

I have thought about using JB Weld, but I am not sure it is the best
solution.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott
80 Spitfire
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:10:06 -0600

Hi All,

Several people have suggested Helicoils, which I mus confess I did not 
think of.

The engine front plate is only about .160 inches thick, whereas the 
helicoil is about .320 inches deep.

Would the depth difference cause a problem?

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

On 12/16/2012 03:31 PM, Bill Gingerich wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $11.47
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

[email-masked]

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 19:26:18 -0500

A link below will take you to the McMaster Carr catalog where they list
various thread inserts. Naturally, most of those repair methods involve
special tools for insertion.Not sure if there is enough room for these or
not. Sounds like a heli-coil is out of the question based on the plate
thickness. Is there room to use a jam nut (skinny nut) on the back of the
plate?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=kmgbbf 

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Roger Elliott
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:10 PM
To: 'Spitfire list'
Subject: Re: [Spits] Top Timing cover Screw

Hi All,

Several people have suggested Helicoils, which I mus confess I did not think
of.

The engine front plate is only about .160 inches thick, whereas the helicoil
is about .320 inches deep.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott

On 12/16/2012 03:31 PM, Bill Gingerich wrote:
> I am putting my engine back together.  One of the screws at the top 
> timing cover, is held in by the the front engine plate being threaded.
> Well, the threads in the engine plate are to stripped to hold the 
> screw, and I can't put a nut on the backside of the plate as the 
> bracket does not allow room for one.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Suggested annual donation  
> $11.47

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bill Gingerich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:29:06 -0600

Is there any room to tap a thread in the block behind the plate?  I just
don't remember.  Another idea is you could drill out the plate, and weld a
threaded insert into the larger hole.  Perhaps enlarge the hole in the
alternator bracket to fit around the insert.  That would give you a longer
thread for the bolt to go into.  Not sure how much torque a .160 long thread
would hold.

Thinking back, it was one of the other front plate holes that I helicoiled.
Maybe the sealing block?

BillG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alex&Janet Thomson
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:26 PM
To: 'Roger Elliott'; 'Spitfire list'
Subject: Re: [Spits] Top Timing cover Screw

Alex Thomson

[email-masked]