Subject: Re: [Spits] Pop Rivets

From: "Andrew S. Mace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

I think the only significant difference is that original rivets tended to be
steel, while those more commonly available from hardware stores tend to be
aluminum. At least that's what I remember, not having done this in quite some
time.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
To: Spitfire Group <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Oct 28, 2012 9:43 pm
Subject: [Spits] Pop Rivets

I need to re-install all those things that are pop-riveted in place, like
the top snaps and the trim
across the top of the windshield frame.  Is there a particular type of
pop-rivet I ought to use?
The parts vendors sell them, but I am wondering:  are they selling
authentic British pop-rivets,
or just the same generic ones I could get at Hope Depot?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:02:19 -0400

Unfortunately I had to drill out and destroy all of the ones on my car.  I
should have taken some close-up photos first...

I have some interesting rivets I bought once, at a hardware store
going-out-of-business sale.  The bottom end
is sealed, so there is no path for moisture to pass through the center
hole.  I might use those.

Doug

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Andrew S. Mace <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  I think the only significant difference is that original rivets tended
> to be steel, while those more commonly available from hardware stores
> tend to be aluminum. At least that's what I remember, not having done this
> in quite some time.
>
>  --Andy Mace

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:04:13 -0400

There are some very interesting pop rivets out there.  Home Depot sells
only the most mundane kind.
For example:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pop-rivets/=jxa85i

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: "Clark W. Nicholls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:14:43 -0400

I use the screw-on top contact of a spark plug to shim out the pin of the
pop rivet. It fits into the recess of the snap!

Clark
Clark W. Nicholls
1972 Stag (LE7931E) for sale, 1974 Spitfire (FM14571U) 
and 1 rusty GT6 needing new owner KC 5577 L
www.botchagaloop.net for old racing photos
"Reality, it's not what you think."

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 2:52 PM
To: Spitfire Group
Subject: Re: [Spits] Pop Rivets

Use stainless steel pop rivets. They are sold alongside the aluminum ones at
most stores. If the holes are questionable use the washers in the same
section
to back up the rivets. You just put in the rivet as usual. then reach around
to the other side to put on the washer before you set the rivet. To rivet
the
snaps you may have to have the nose of the rivet tool turned down to fit
inside the snap. Otherwise it wont be tight.

Tod Jones

Harrisonburg VA.

67 Spit-6

----- Original Message -----

From: "Doug Braun" <[email-masked]>
To: "Spitfire Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:43:10 PM
Subject: [Spits] Pop Rivets

I need to re-install all those things that are pop-riveted in place, like
the top snaps and the trim
across the top of the windshield frame. B Is there a particular type of
pop-rivet I ought to use?
The parts vendors sell them, but I am wondering: B are they selling
authentic British pop-rivets,
or just the same generic ones I could get at Hope Depot?

BTW, here's the car: B http://dougbraun.com/blog/sptifire/

Thanks again,

Doug

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:39:52 -0400

Brilliant!

Fortunately I have a pop rivet tool with a skinny snout.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:08:49 -0400

I realized I still had a couple of original pop rivets -- for the snaps on
the side trim panels behind the seats, that hold the bottom corners of the
top boot.
They are definitely aluminum.

Doug

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Bill Gingerich <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Don't use the steel ones if you're putting the plastic tonneau cover snaps
> on the body.  The snaps will split.  Been there.
>
> BillG

[email-masked]