Subject: [Spits] Windshield installation tips?

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:32:18 -0400

Hello,

I am ready to re-install the windshield in my freshly-repainted Spit, with
a new rubber gasket (the more expensive version from TRF).
Does anyone have any tips?  I am particularly wondering if I ought to use
some sort of sealant during installation, or instead
apply it afterwards.

Thanks,

Doug
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Nick Moseley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:19:12 -0700

Doug, I'm no expert but will speak from the experience of having
successfully installed one windshield.
IMO, you should not need to use additional sealant.
If you are installing the chrome (or plastic) trim strips, I understand you
are far better to install them before installing the windshield.
I used the "rope trick" to pull the edge of the seal/gasket into the cabin.
One thing I would do differently is to feed the rope such that the join is
at the top, rather than the bottom of the windshield, as the last 4 inches
of seal was not pulled in by the rope, and it would have been easier to
access the gasket had it been at the top of the windshield.
Good luck, your Spit looks fantastic!

Nick Moseley

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature
database 7643 (20121030) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.com

[email-masked]