Subject: [Spits] Remove/replace Spitfire windshield (and paint question)

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 13:50:03 -0400

Hello,

I'm planning to repaint my car, and I want to remove and replace the
windshield, with a new gasket.
Does anybody have any tips on getting the windshield out without breaking
it, and without messing up the interior trim?

BTW, what sort of pain was originally used on these cars (in 1972, at
least)?  I need to figure out if there are any
potential compatibility issues with the acrylic urethane paint I plan to
use.

Thanks,
Doug

'72 Spit
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]

---

From: "Joe Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 12:34:42 -0700

The best way to accomplish what you are describing is to take a linoleum
knife and cut away the outside lip of the gasket.  That will allow you to
lift the glass out without any obstruction.  Your only problem might be if a
previous owner has put any sort of sealant on the gasket which will make the
glass stick to the remaining seal.  In that case, you will have to run some
sort of blede between the inner seal and glass to free the windshield.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug Braun
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:50 AM
To: Spitfire Group
Subject: [Spits] Remove/replace Spitfire windshield (and paint question)

Hello,

Thanks,
Doug

'72 Spit

[email-masked]
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Roger Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 19:48:41 -0500

Hi All,

I have an 80 Spitfire with the multi-function  turn signal, horn and 
bright/dim switch.

Has any one repaired the horn section on one?  when the end of the stalk 
is twisted in any way the horn honks.

That means almost any time I use the turn signals or the bright/dim, I 
also honk the horn.

I know new ones are available, but if I can fix it easily I would prefer 
to spend the money on other parts.

Thanks,

Roger Elliott
80 Spitfire

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:32:31 -0400

I did it this way, and it took about five minutes to get the windshield out
(after I got the stainless steel trim off).

Thanks,
Doug

[email-masked]