Subject: [Spits] Front Bumper

From: "David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 22:24:45 -0700

I've been lurking on the list for a really long time but I now have a great
72 Mark IV that I just acquired so I expect I might be a bit more active
now.  I chose to get one that I could drive and not just another fixer
project.  This one was lovingly restored by someone else and I got it in
really great condition.  I think it's the first Spit I've ever seen with NO
rust.

The problem I'm experiencing that I could use your help with is the front
bumper.  I think when it was reassembled they put the front bumper on wrong.
Maybe it's even the wrong  bumper, did they change between the Mark IV and
1500?  I only have the one Spit so I don't have another one to compare it
to.  There is a large gap in the front between the center front of the
bonnet and the bumper just above where the license plate goes.  It is MUCH
wider than it should be and get narrower as it works around to just in front
of the tire.  The gap between the front valance (passenger side) and the
front wheel well of the bonnet is super tight (touching) when the bonnet is
closed.  The driver side has a more normal gap in the same place.

I don't see any way to adjust the bumper higher in the front.  It seems like
if it were raised in the front center that the trailing end of the bumper
just in front of the tire would lower like a teeter totter.

I tried to take some pics to show better what I'm talking about.  See link
below
https://picasaweb.google.com/112760723054893641051/72Spitfire

It seems like something was simply assembled incorrectly after it was
rebuilt.  I believe the car was fully disassembled during the restoration.
It really is a beautiful job but the bumper just looks wrong.  I could
probably figure this out if I could just look at another Spit and compare.
Anyone near Shelton Washington with a square tail that wants to meet up and
compare?

Maybe someone can look at the pics and give me an idea of what went wrong.

David Gates
'72 Spitfire w/1500 engine and OD
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]

---

From: "Mack, Michael (Rochester)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:53:03 +0000

David,

It might be multiple mis-alignment issues adding up to that gap in the front.
I think they used the same bumpers from 1971-78.
I'd start by removing the front bumper.  Then lay it upside down on a flat
surface.  Is it flat to the floor all along the bumpers top surface?  If not,
there's your issue, a bent bumper.  Or, maybe your Bonnet nose isn't right.
There should be some room in the bolts to lower the front end of the bonnet

Mike Mack
79 Spitfire w/OD, Euro HS4 SUs, roller rockers, 4-2-1 exhaust, Double hoop
rollbar
70 GT6
73 Stag
80 TR8

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spits] Front Bumper

David Gates

[email-masked]
Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:32:30 -0400

The car may have been hit once upon a time.  The entire package of bumpers,
front cross-member, and valences might be twisted
downwards.

Just last week I took apart the front endof my car in preparation for a
paint job.  Speaking from experience, you may be surprised at what you
find...

BTW, where can  I get one of those nice front license plate surrounds that
fits up against the bumper.?  For the entire 20+ years I have owned
my car, the front bumper has been held on by a pair of hardware-store angle
brackets.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

[email-masked]

---

From: "David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 07:46:38 -0700

Thanks everyone.  Good insights.

I'll remove the bumper and check for straightness.  Visually (still on the
car) it looks good.  But I'll check it off the car too.

My concern about trying to lower the bonnet in the front is that it is
already touching the front valance on the passenger side.  That valance
doesn't seem to have much/any adjustment in it.  Perhaps I'll remove the
valance, lower the bonnet in the front and then see what it will take to get
the valance back on and line up.  I can always create some custom brackets
to get the valance to go back on right, but doing that would seem to
indicate I'm compensating for a misalignment or unobvious accident damage
somewhere else.

As for frame damage, that was actually my first thought but I dismissed it
after looking closely at it.  I couldn't see any obvious signs of bending or
distortion.  Does anyone have any measurements as reference that might tell
me if the frame is out of whack.  I suspect the problems are a result of a
complete disassembly and then not being correctly reassembled rather than
accident damage, but who knows.

Doug - This Spit came with the license plate frame, so I'm not sure where to
get one.  Although, I did have a previous Spit with one just like it so they
may be available somewhere. . .  Actually, I just checked ebay, but it's
kinda spendy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spitfire-license-plate-holder-601100201-/31022423888
1

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug Braun
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:33 AM
To: Mack, Michael (Rochester); Spitfire Group
Subject: Re: [Spits] Front Bumper

The car may have been hit once upon a time.  The entire package of bumpers,
front cross-member, and valences might be twisted downwards.

BTW, where can  I get one of those nice front license plate surrounds that
fits up against the bumper.?  For the entire 20+ years I have owned my car,
the front bumper has been held on by a pair of hardware-store angle
brackets.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Mack, Michael (Rochester) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'd start by removing the front bumper.  Then lay it upside down on a 
> flat surface.  Is it flat to the floor all along the bumpers top 
> surface?  If not, there's your issue, a bent bumper.  Or, maybe your 
> Bonnet nose isn't right.
> 79 Spitfire w/OD, Euro HS4 SUs, roller rockers, 4-2-1 exhaust, Double 
> hoop rollbar
> 70 GT6
> 73 Stag
> 80 TR8

[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spitfires/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Berger Bob <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 22:23:41 -0500

The valances have a bracket that connects them to the frame with 4 bolts - 2
into the frame and 2 into the valance. Each of the bolt holes in the bracket
are slotted for lots of movement in every direction.

The corner of the valance closest to the wheel controls the location of the
ends of the bumper.

After you remove the bumper to check if it is flat but before you put it back
on is the time to adjust the valances.

1st step is to make sure you have good gaps between the hood and the body.
These get adjusted at the hood hinge bolts.

Next loosen all 4 of the bolts that hold the valance on - just loose enough
that you can move the valance but not floppy loose.

Then, with the hood closed, move the valances so that the seal along the top
is just touching the underside of the hood along the whole length. When happy
tighten the 4 bolts back up.

Reinstall the bumper.

I had to do this after poor assembly by a body shop.

Bob Berger
St. Louis
78 Spitfire owned since '90

[email-masked]

---

From: "David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 20:52:47 -0700

I've been messing around with this darn bumper/valance/bonnet alignment on
and off for about a week.  Everything was starting to line up better as I
messed around with it more.  However, the passenger side valance just
wouldn't adjust low enough to avoid contact with the bonnet.  Finally, I
realized the bracket (see pic in link below) attaching the valance to the
frame was upside down.  It has slots for adjustment.  One side of the
bracket has vertical slots the other side has horizontal slots.  The
horizontal slots were at the top making it impossible to lower the valance
to where it needed to be.  Once I flipped it over everything finally fell
into alignment.  By the way, the driver side bracket was correct, but I
didn't notice it until I realized the passenger side was wrong.  Thanks
everyone for the help and encouragement.  

https://picasaweb.google.com/112760723054893641051/72Spitfire#57477945439817
77938

David Gates
'72 Spitfire
Shelton, WA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Berger Bob
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:24 PM
To: Spitfire Group
Subject: Re: [Spits] Front Bumper

After you remove the bumper to check if it is flat but before you put it
back on is the time to adjust the valances.

Then, with the hood closed, move the valances so that the seal along the top
is just touching the underside of the hood along the whole length. When
happy tighten the 4 bolts back up.

Reinstall the bumper.

Bob Berger
St. Louis

On May 22, 2012, at 9:46 AM, "David" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> already touching the front valance on the passenger side.  That 
> valance doesn't seem to have much/any adjustment in it.  Perhaps I'll 
> remove the valance, lower the bonnet in the front and then see what it 
> will take to
get
> the valance back on and line up.  I can always create some custom 
> brackets to get the valance to go back on right, but doing that would 
> seem to indicate I'm compensating for a misalignment or unobvious 
> accident damage somewhere else.
>
> As for frame damage, that was actually my first thought but I 
> dismissed it after looking closely at it.  I couldn't see any obvious 
> signs of bending
or
> distortion.  Does anyone have any measurements as reference that might 
> tell me if the frame is out of whack.  I suspect the problems are a 
> result of a complete disassembly and then not being correctly 
> reassembled rather than accident damage, but who knows.
>
> Doug - This Spit came with the license plate frame, so I'm not sure 
> where
to
> get one.  Although, I did have a previous Spit with one just like it 
> so
they
> may be available somewhere. . .  Actually, I just checked ebay, but 
> it's kinda spendy.
>

[email-masked]

[email-masked]