Subject: [Shop-talk] Where to buy sash locks?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2026 08:58:08 -0500

I need to replace all the worn out sash locks on my double hung windows. The only place I've found that stocks any is Home Depot and Ace, but the reviews for both say the rivet breaks before the windows are tight enough to stop drafts. Do you have a favorite online place/manufacturer for hardware like this, that's good quality? Google nets me 1,000 hits of qualitysashlocks.com etc...

thanks,
jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2026 09:23:48 -0500

--===============9077078836221320240==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_FD0E7D8A-BB83-42BC-AC23-025B21C12EF1"

--Apple-Mail=_FD0E7D8A-BB83-42BC-AC23-025B21C12EF1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

> On Feb 27, 2026, at 8:58 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> I need to replace all the worn out sash locks on my double hung =
windows. The only place I've found that stocks any is Home Depot and =
Ace, but the reviews for both say the rivet breaks before the windows =
are tight enough to stop drafts. Do you have a favorite online =
place/manufacturer for hardware like this, that's good quality? Google =
nets me 1,000 hits of qualitysashlocks.com etc...

More info since there are several types:

It is a =E2=80=9CFitch Sash Lock=E2=80=9D design which appeared in 1896 =
in the US. - a single action-cam meeting-rail sash fastener. It was =
originally marketed by W. & E. T. Fitch Company, of New Haven, =
Connecticut, and was designed by an employee of the firm - George M. =
Hubbard of New Haven,Connecticut. The ease of manufacture and the =
simplicity of operation lead to copies with slight variations by almost =
every hardware manufacturer in the US and Canada from c. 1901-1940. The =
design was also nicknamed "crescent." For attribution, note that the =
variations included flat front designs, and elongated top receivers with =
notched tabs. Below are examples from North American manufacturer's =
catalogs by year.

 =
<https://preview.redd.it/original-hardware-v0-1u8fjxfrydve1.png?width=3D28=
44&format=3Dpng&auto=3Dwebp&s=3D21f4b9c890dcc56a4588ae99625b787e14113302>=

--Apple-Mail=_FD0E7D8A-BB83-42BC-AC23-025B21C12EF1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: =
after-white-space;"><br><div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Feb =
27, 2026, at 8:58 AM, Jim Franklin &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><div>I need to =
replace all the worn out sash locks on my double hung windows. The only =
place I've found that stocks any is Home Depot and Ace, but the reviews =
for both say the rivet breaks before the windows are tight enough to =
stop drafts. Do you have a favorite online place/manufacturer for =
hardware like this, that's good quality? Google nets me 1,000 hits of =
qualitysashlocks.com =
etc...<br></div></div></blockquote></div><br><div>More info since there =
are several types:</div><div><br></div><div><div class=3D"md =
text-14-scalable rounded-2 pb-2xs overflow-hidden" =
id=3D"t1_mnklod1-comment-rtjson-content" slot=3D"comment"><div =
id=3D"t1_mnklod1-post-rtjson-content" class=3D"py-0 xs:mx-xs mx-2xs =
max-w-full scalable-text [--emote-size:20px]" dir=3D"auto"><p>It is =
a&nbsp;<strong>=E2=80=9CFitch Sash Lock=E2=80=9D</strong>&nbsp;design =
which appeared in 1896 in the US. - a single action-cam meeting-rail =
sash fastener. It was originally marketed by W. &amp; E. T. Fitch =
Company, of New Haven, Connecticut, and was designed by an employee of =
the firm - George M. Hubbard of New Haven,Connecticut. The ease of =
manufacture and the simplicity of operation lead to copies with slight =
variations by almost every hardware manufacturer in the US and Canada =
from c. 1901-1940. The design was also nicknamed "crescent." For =
attribution, note that the variations included flat front designs, and =
elongated top receivers with notched tabs. Below are examples from North =
American manufacturer's catalogs by year.</p><figure =
class=3D"rte-media"><a =
href=3D"https://preview.redd.it/original-hardware-v0-1u8fjxfrydve1.png?wid=
th=3D2844&amp;format=3Dpng&amp;auto=3Dwebp&amp;s=3D21f4b9c890dcc56a4588ae9=
9625b787e14113302" rel=3D"noopener noreferrer ugc" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"w-fit"><img =
src=3D"https://preview.redd.it/original-hardware-v0-1u8fjxfrydve1.png?widt=
h=3D2844&amp;format=3Dpng&amp;auto=3Dwebp&amp;s=3D21f4b9c890dcc56a4588ae99=
625b787e14113302" alt=3D"Comment Image" class=3D"mb-0 max-w-[240px] =
min-w-[20px] rounded-1 non-lightboxed-content" width=3D"240" =
height=3D"auto" =
srcset=3D"https://preview.redd.it/original-hardware-v0-1u8fjxfrydve1.png?w=
idth=3D320&amp;crop=3Dsmart&amp;auto=3Dwebp&amp;s=3Dc20dcaa115f2287f0e3a4f=
e45580980d913cf5a9 1x, =
https://preview.redd.it/original-hardware-v0-1u8fjxfrydve1.png?width=3D640=
&amp;crop=3Dsmart&amp;auto=3Dwebp&amp;s=3D96b5cdb27beb076e70084220ec5941f8=
42cfb357 2x" sizes=3D"(min-width: 1415px) 750px, (min-width: 768px) =
50vw, 100vw" loading=3D"lazy" style=3D"object-fit: cover; aspect-ratio: =
240 / 179.746835;"></a></figure></div></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_FD0E7D8A-BB83-42BC-AC23-025B21C12EF1--

--===============9077078836221320240==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9077078836221320240==--

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2026 15:03:40 +0000

I recommend checking with a local window manufacture or installer.  They are on the hook for callbacks, so I would expect they use a quality product.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Sent: Feb 27, 2026 6:00 AM
To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Where to buy sash locks?

thanks,
jim

[email-masked]
Archive:  http://autox.team.net/archive (http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk)

[email-masked]