Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Let's run right out a get a Porsche

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2026 14:40:50 -0500 01/20/2026 02:40:52 PM, Serialize complete at 01/20/2026 02:40:52 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5616454945427444416==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--=_alternative 006C1BB085258D85_=

NO worries, the car will break WAY before you have time to get the air 
cleaner dirty!

Seriously, I don't know why these 'premium' brands hate there mechanics so 
much.

My buddy is a Land Rover guy and has two of them.  They have been on my 
lift more than any other car I know.  Each time, for crazy problems that 
take forever to diagnose (WITH LR specific computers).  He spends 
thousands in parts that aren't the problem (but the computer say it is.) 
Getting to the parts are insanely complex, often requiring special tools 
and parts that are 'consumable' so they can't be reinstalled.

I'm an American truck guy, and I don't think I'm ever buying a vehicle 
newer than 2015.  8>0

Moose

From:   John T Blair <[email-masked]>
To: 
Date:   01/20/2026 14:26
Subject:        Let's run right out a get a Porsche

Check out changing the air filter on a Porche

https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964

Really makes you want one, right?

JohnT,

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
     75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    http://autox.team.net/morgan/

Bricklin:     http://www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

>From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
     e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
     In God We Trust
     Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for 
                  oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction 

--=_alternative 006C1BB085258D85_=

<span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">NO worries, the car
will break WAY before you have time to get the air cleaner dirty!</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Seriously, I don't
know why these 'premium' brands hate there mechanics so much.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">My buddy is a
Land Rover guy and has two of them. &nbsp;They have been on my lift more
than any other car I know. &nbsp;Each time, for crazy problems that take
forever to diagnose (WITH LR specific computers). &nbsp;He spends thousands
in parts that aren't the problem (but the computer say it is.) &nbsp;Getting
to the parts are insanely complex, often requiring special tools and parts
that are 'consumable' so they can't be reinstalled.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I'm an American
truck guy, and I don't think I'm ever buying a vehicle newer than 2015.
&nbsp;8&gt;0</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Moose</span>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">From:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">John
T Blair &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">To:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Date:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">01/20/2026
14:26</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Subject:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">Let's
run right out a get a Porsche</span>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">Check out changing
the air filter on a Porche</span>
<br>
<br><a href=https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964 target=_blank><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue;font-family:Arial"><u>https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964</u></span></a>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">Really makes you want
one, right?</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">JohnT,</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">John T. Blair &nbsp;WA4OHZ
&nbsp; &nbsp; email: &nbsp;[email-masked]</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">Va. Beach, Va &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Phone: &nbsp;(757)
495-8229<br>
<br>
48 TR1800 &nbsp; &nbsp;48 #4 Midget &nbsp; &nbsp;65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
(B1106)<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887) &nbsp; &nbsp;77 Spitfire &nbsp;
&nbsp;71 Saab Sonett III<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; 65 Rambler Classic<br>
<br>
Morgan: &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><a href=http://autox.team.net/morgan/ target=_blank><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue;font-family:Arial"><u>http://autox.team.net/morgan/<br>
</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial"><br>
Bricklin: &nbsp; &nbsp; </span><a href=http://www.bricklin.org/ target=_blank><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue;font-family:Arial"><u>http://www.bricklin.org<br>
</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial"><br>
If you can read this &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - Thank
a teacher!<br>
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!<br>
<br>
>From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many, one.&quot;<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; In God We Trust<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; Liberty - the &nbsp;power &nbsp;of &nbsp;choosing, &nbsp;thinking,
&nbsp;and &nbsp;acting &nbsp;for &nbsp;<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;oneself;
freedom &nbsp;from &nbsp;control &nbsp;or &nbsp;restriction &nbsp;<br>
<br>
</span>
<br>
<br>
<br>

--=_alternative 006C1BB085258D85_=--

--===============5616454945427444416==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============5616454945427444416==--

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.yahoo
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2026 15:19:44 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7576038647475534059==
 boundary="------------Ez1TCCy2OKeT7u5UaZ3Yie6u"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------Ez1TCCy2OKeT7u5UaZ3Yie6u
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I have a 1997 Porsche Boxster that was inexpensive to buy. It recently 
developed a leak in the coolant recovery tank, leaking into the rear 
trunk. The Porsche branded part goes for $358. There are five (5) hoses 
running to it that disappear into the engine compartment. The hose 
clamps are barely accessible. The tank cannot be removed unless and 
until the hoses are disconnected on the engine side of the firewall. 
Porsche allows 4 hours for the repair.

Setting your model-year limit at 2015 probably won't help much.

On 1/20/2026 2:40 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Seriously, I don't know why these 'premium' brands hate there 
> mechanics so much.
>
> My buddy is a Land Rover guy and has two of them.  They have been on 
> my lift more than any other car I know.  Each time, for crazy problems 
> that take forever to diagnose (WITH LR specific computers).  He spends 
> thousands in parts that aren't the problem (but the computer say it 
> is.)  Getting to the parts are insanely complex, often requiring 
> special tools and parts that are 'consumable' so they can't be 
> reinstalled.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> _https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964_ 
> <https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964>
>
> Morgan: _http://autox.team.net/morgan/
> _ <http://autox.team.net/morgan/>
> Bricklin: _http://www.bricklin.org
> _ <http://www.bricklin.org/>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------Ez1TCCy2OKeT7u5UaZ3Yie6u
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    I have a 1997 Porsche Boxster that was inexpensive to buy. It
    recently developed a leak in the coolant recovery tank, leaking into
    the rear trunk. The Porsche branded part goes for $358. There are
    five (5) hoses running to it that disappear into the engine
    compartment. The hose clamps are barely accessible. The tank cannot
    be removed unless and until the hoses are disconnected on the engine
    side of the firewall. Porsche allows 4 hours for the repair.<br>
    <br>
    Setting your model-year limit at 2015 probably won't help much.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature"><br>
      <br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/20/2026 2:40 PM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">NO worries,
        the car
        will break WAY before you have time to get the air cleaner
        dirty!</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Seriously, I
        don't
        know why these 'premium' brands hate there mechanics so much.</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">My buddy is a
        Land Rover guy and has two of them.  They have been on my lift
        more
        than any other car I know.  Each time, for crazy problems that
        take
        forever to diagnose (WITH LR specific computers).  He spends
        thousands
        in parts that aren't the problem (but the computer say it is.)
         Getting
        to the parts are insanely complex, often requiring special tools
        and parts
        that are 'consumable' so they can't be reinstalled.</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I'm an
        American
        truck guy, and I don't think I'm ever buying a vehicle newer
        than 2015.
         8&gt;0</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Moose</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">From:
               </span><span
        style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">John
        T Blair <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a></span>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">To:
               </span>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Date:
               </span><span
        style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">01/20/2026
        14:26</span>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Subject:
               </span><span
        style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">Let's
        run right out a get a Porsche</span>
      <br>
      <hr noshade="noshade">
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">Check out changing
        the air filter on a Porche</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <a href="https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964"
        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"><span
          style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue;font-family:Arial"><u>https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964</u></span></a>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">Really makes you
        want
        one, right?</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">JohnT,</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">John T. Blair
         WA4OHZ
            email:  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial">Va. Beach, Va  
                       Phone:  (757)
        495-8229<br>
        <br>
        48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
        (B1106)<br>
            75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire  
         71 Saab Sonett III<br>
                           
          65 Rambler Classic<br>
        <br>
        Morgan:    </span><a href="http://autox.team.net/morgan/"
        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"><span
          style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue;font-family:Arial"><u>http://autox.team.net/morgan/<br>
          </u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial"><br>
        Bricklin:     </span><a href="http://www.bricklin.org/"
        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"><span
          style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue;font-family:Arial"><u>http://www.bricklin.org<br>
          </u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt;font-family:Arial"><br>
        If you can read this             - Thank
        a teacher!<br>
        If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!<br>
        <br>
        From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:<br>
            e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."<br>
            In God We Trust<br>
            Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,
         and  acting  for  <br>
                         oneself;
        freedom  from  control  or  restriction  <br>
        <br>
      </span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------Ez1TCCy2OKeT7u5UaZ3Yie6u--

--===============7576038647475534059==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7576038647475534059==--

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2026 16:14:31 -0600

On Tue, Jan 20, 2026 at 2:59 PM Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I have a 1997 Porsche Boxster that was inexpensive to buy. It recently developed a leak in the coolant recovery tank, leaking into the rear trunk. The Porsche branded part goes for $358. There are five (5) hoses running to it that disappear into the engine compartment. The hose clamps are barely accessible. The tank cannot be removed unless and until the hoses are disconnected on the engine side of the firewall. Porsche allows 4 hours for the repair.
>

Limiting it to 2015 avoids some of the current stupidity with
excessively complicated computer controlled everything, with software
written by idiots who don't test anything.  I recently drove a couple
of volvo suvs, which were loaners for my wife's car, which was in the
shop becasue the software sucks.  Both of the loaners had turn signal
clicking that didn't work properly.  Of course, in the old days, the
turn signals were flashed by a mechanical flasher, but now, the body
computer does it, and tells the speakers to play click sounds.  The
click sounds were not at all in sync with the blinking light, and
would sometimes not click for a flash, or click three times for one.
If I'd been test driving one of them, I'd have not gotten out of the
lot.  If you can't make something obvious and easy to test work right,
I doubt you're getting the hard stuff right.  (and given my wife's car
has been to the dealer five times in a year for software problems,
including the week she bought it, I rather suspect they haven't.)

> NO worries, the car will break WAY before you have time to get the air cleaner dirty!
>
> Seriously, I don't know why these 'premium' brands hate there mechanics so much.
>
> My buddy is a Land Rover guy and has two of them.  They have been on my lift more than any other car I know.  Each time, for crazy problems that take forever to diagnose (WITH LR specific computers).  He spends thousands in parts that aren't the problem (but the computer say it is.)  Getting to the parts are insanely complex, often requiring special tools and parts that are 'consumable' so they can't be reinstalled.
>
> I'm an American truck guy, and I don't think I'm ever buying a vehicle newer than 2015.  8>0
>
> Moose
>
>
>
> ________________________________
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.yahoo
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2026 19:28:12 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0153139366017333125==
 boundary="------------C81nr78yOxcMSjiVRiZ9Ly5c"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------C81nr78yOxcMSjiVRiZ9Ly5c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Some approach technology better than others. We have a '24 Mazda 3 
(because it's one of the few new cars that has a manual transmission) 
and it has not succumbed to the touch screen nonsense. There are 
switches and buttons to control most everything, although I'm sure they 
connect only to that big computer. It does have a touch screen for the 
navigation system (which you can also speak to) and audio systems, but 
remarkably, the touch function won't work if the car is in motion; you 
have to use a knob and pushbuttons on the console.

The car is still subservient to the computer, though.

On 1/20/2026 5:14 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2026 at 2:59 PM Jim Juhas<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 1/20/2026 2:40 PM,[email-masked] wrote:
>>
>> From:        John T Blair<[email-masked]>
>> To:
>> Date:        01/20/2026 14:26
>> John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:[email-masked]
>> Morgan:http://autox.team.net/morgan/
>>
>> Bricklin:http://www.bricklin.org
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>>
>

--------------C81nr78yOxcMSjiVRiZ9Ly5c
 boundary="------------4hPV0DIb2xkYhT8Z8Fih8pCi"

--------------4hPV0DIb2xkYhT8Z8Fih8pCi
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Some approach technology better than others. We have a '24 Mazda 3
    (because it's one of the few new cars that has a manual
    transmission) and it has not succumbed to the touch screen nonsense.
    There are switches and buttons to control most everything, although
    I'm sure they connect only to that big computer. It does have a
    touch screen for the navigation system (which you can also speak to)
    and audio systems, but remarkably, the touch function won't work if
    the car is in motion; you have to use a knob and pushbuttons on the
    console.<br>
    <br>
    The car is still subservient to the computer, though.
    <div class="moz-signature"><br>
      <img src="cid:[email-masked]" border="0"></div>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/20/2026 5:14 PM, David Scheidt
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CA+k5supmgovQvVaSFZVZnVUWf_GjO4V48+i5Z4R=[email-masked]">
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">On Tue, Jan 20, 2026 at 2:59 PM Jim Juhas <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> wrote:
</pre>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">
I have a 1997 Porsche Boxster that was inexpensive to buy. It recently developed a leak in the coolant recovery tank, leaking into the rear trunk. The Porsche branded part goes for $358. There are five (5) hoses running to it that disappear into the engine compartment. The hose clamps are barely accessible. The tank cannot be removed unless and until the hoses are disconnected on the engine side of the firewall. Porsche allows 4 hours for the repair.

      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">

</pre>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">

On 1/20/2026 2:40 PM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:

I'm an American truck guy, and I don't think I'm ever buying a vehicle newer than 2015.  8&gt;0

Moose

From:        John T Blair <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a>
To:
Date:        01/20/2026 14:26
Subject:        Let's run right out a get a Porsche
________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964">https://x.com/auto_moto_pl/status/2013329634234945964</a>

JohnT,

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

Morgan:    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/morgan/">http://autox.team.net/morgan/</a>

Bricklin:     <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.bricklin.org">http://www.bricklin.org</a>

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>
--------------4hPV0DIb2xkYhT8Z8Fih8pCi
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="MGA_311_LRP_2.JPG"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------4hPV0DIb2xkYhT8Z8Fih8pCi--

--------------C81nr78yOxcMSjiVRiZ9Ly5c--

--===============0153139366017333125==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0153139366017333125==--

---

From: Mark Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2026 23:10:37 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------QS0EE1E5oy2wm9LUkLJzuANl
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

> I'm an American truck guy, and I don't think I'm ever buying a vehicle 
anage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

I recently bought a 2010 Jaguar XK.  Fun to drive, lovely car.  But 
there is way to much computer stuff in it for my tastes.  I still don't 
know if it has an actual dipstick, you check the oil through the dash 
display.  It is one car I will probably almost always take to the dealer 
for everything, it is not DIY friendly.  But it is the fastest vehicle I 
have ever owned!

mjb.

--------------QS0EE1E5oy2wm9LUkLJzuANl
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="20260106_143445.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------QS0EE1E5oy2wm9LUkLJzuANl
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--------------QS0EE1E5oy2wm9LUkLJzuANl--

---

From: Douglas Shook <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2026 05:05:18 -0800

--===============2096829452073476772==

--000000000000189ce70648e59436

--000000000000189ce70648e59435
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I think Moose's 2015 "cut-off date" for purchasing a vehicle is sound.

Remember when exhaust systems on new cars would rust out in three years (in
Northern climates), starters and alternators would need to be replaced by
50K miles, water pumps, hoses and radiators would be fortunate to last 70K
miles, brakes would need to be relined every 20K miles, etc.? Spark plugs,
wires, caps, rotors, etc, were regular maintenance items? When cars would
be high performance if they had over 250HP, and average gas mileage was in
the teens?

I love the old cars, do not take me wrong, I have five of them, but for all
practical purposes the newer cars are so much more reliable, powerful and
fuel efficient there really is no comparison for most drivers.

These new cars can go 100K miles without much of anything done to them,
maybe a sensor here or there.

The one major disadvantage exception is for those of us who want to work on
our own cars. I think the 2000 to about 2015 as Moose said is somewhat of a
sweet spot in that you get 90% of the performance, efficiency, reliability
improvements without all of the complexities of the last decade of
technological "improvements" that make the cars almost unserviceable at
home.

I have never leased a car before, but I almost think that now it may make
sense to do so if you want to drive a new car. Buying a new car and keeping
it for ten or 15 years does not sound like a good option anymore. I just
cannot imagine what one of the new cars will be like to own once all of the
electronics start to age and fail, or what equipment one would need to try
to even diagnose the faults, let alone get to the defective part if it
still is even available.

This may be less of a problem for states that do not have smog checks, but
for California, cars 1975 and older do not require smog checks, but 1976
and newer need biennial smog checks and all of the systems must be
functioning correctly.

Because of the smog checks, I will only own pre-1976 cars or cars newer
than 1990 as the smog equipment and systems on the 1976-1990 cars are so
horrible to try to maintain, all of the vacuum lines, EGR systems, etc, the
parts are not readily available, etc. Newer engine designs and fuel
injection helped immensely to simplify the emissions equipment.

Attaching a photo of two of the old cars that I still can maintain. ;-)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2026 at 10:16=E2=80=AFPM Mark Bradakis <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000189ce70648e59435
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">I t=
hink Moose&#39;s 2015 &quot;cut-off date&quot; for purchasing a vehicle is =
sound.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></di=
v><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Remember when exha=
ust systems on new cars would rust out in three years (in Northern climates=
), starters and alternators would need to be replaced by 50K miles, water p=
umps, hoses and radiators would be fortunate to last 70K miles, brakes woul=
d need to be relined every 20K miles, etc.? Spark plugs, wires, caps, rotor=
s, etc, were regular maintenance=C2=A0items? When cars would be high perfor=
mance if they had over 250HP, and average gas mileage was in the teens?</di=
v><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">I love the old cars, do not =
take me wrong, I have five of them, but for all practical=C2=A0purposes the=
 newer cars are so much more reliable, powerful and fuel efficient there re=
ally is no comparison for most drivers.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-size:small">These new cars can go 100K miles without much of anything do=
ne to them, maybe a sensor here or there.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-size:small">The one major disadvantage exception is for those of us wh=
o want to work on our own cars. I think the 2000 to about 2015 as Moose sai=
d is somewhat of a sweet spot in that you get 90% of the performance, effic=
iency, reliability improvements without all of the complexities of the last=
 decade of technological &quot;improvements&quot; that make the cars almost=
 unserviceable=C2=A0at home.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=
=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-s=
ize:small">I have never leased a car before, but I almost think that now it=
 may make sense to do so if you want to drive a new car. Buying a new car a=
nd keeping it for ten or 15 years does not sound like a good option anymore=
. I just cannot imagine what one of the new cars will be like to own once a=
ll of the electronics start to age and fail, or what equipment one would ne=
ed to try to even diagnose the faults, let alone get to the defective part =
if it still is even available.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ont-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:s=
mall">This may be less of a problem for states that do not have smog checks=
, but for California, cars 1975 and older do not require smog checks, but 1=
976 and newer need biennial smog checks and all of the systems must be func=
tioning correctly.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:sma=
ll"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Becaus=
e of the smog checks, I will only own pre-1976 cars or cars newer than 1990=
 as the smog equipment and systems on the 1976-1990 cars are so horrible to=
 try to maintain, all of the vacuum lines, EGR systems, etc, the parts are =
not readily=C2=A0available, etc. Newer engine designs and fuel injection he=
lped immensely to simplify the emissions equipment.</div><div class=3D"gmai=
l_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"font-size:small">Attaching a photo of two of the old cars that I =
still can maintain. ;-)=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-size:small"><img src=3D"cid:ii_mko19em00" alt=3D"PXL_20251220_234227522.=
jpg" width=3D"563" height=3D"424"><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_q=
uote gmail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, J=
an 20, 2026 at 10:16=E2=80=AFPM Mark Bradakis &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mark@br=
adakis.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(20=
4,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On 1/20/26 12:40 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:eric@me=
gageek.com" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br>
<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I&#39;m an American truck guy, and I don&#39;t think I&#39;m ever buyi=
ng a vehicle <br>
&gt; newer than 2015. =C2=A08&gt;0<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Moose<br>
anage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mark@brad=
akis.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailma=
n/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
&gt; <br>
<br>
I recently bought a 2010 Jaguar XK.=C2=A0 Fun to drive, lovely car.=C2=A0 B=
ut <br>
there is way to much computer stuff in it for my tastes.=C2=A0 I still don&=
#39;t <br>
know if it has an actual dipstick, you check the oil through the dash <br>
display.=C2=A0 It is one car I will probably almost always take to the deal=
er <br>
for everything, it is not DIY friendly.=C2=A0 But it is the fastest vehicle=
 I <br>
have ever owned!<br>
<br>
mjb.<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000189ce70648e59435--

--000000000000189ce70648e59436
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="PXL_20251220_234227522.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <ii_mko19em00>

--000000000000189ce70648e59436--

--===============2096829452073476772==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2096829452073476772==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2026 09:00:17 -0500

How do you like the 3? I am car shopping after my boat (CX-5) was totalled. I had a CX-30 turbo as a loner a few years back and loved it, but test drove a '22 yesterday and it was not as I remembered. The Golf GTI I really want is super rare and I can't afford to wait. The normal 3 has way too many blind spots for me, but I might give in if the NA manual is fun enough. In Europe they get the manual with the turbo in the CX-30. All my dream cars (and bikes) live over there :-(

the other jim

> On Jan 20, 2026, at 7:28 PM, Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Some approach technology better than others. We have a '24 Mazda 3 (because it's one of the few new cars that has a manual transmission) and it has not succumbed to the touch screen nonsense. There are switches and buttons to control most everything, although I'm sure they connect only to that big computer. It does have a touch screen for the navigation system (which you can also speak to) and audio systems, but remarkably, the touch function won't work if the car is in motion; you have to use a knob and pushbuttons on the console.
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2026 09:06:44 -0500

--===============1333948474180599026==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_A2FA6B64-4100-4F11-B24F-66A0CD298E11"

--Apple-Mail=_A2FA6B64-4100-4F11-B24F-66A0CD298E11
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

> On Jan 21, 2026, at 8:05 AM, Douglas Shook <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Remember when exhaust systems on new cars would rust out in three =
years (in Northern climates), starters and alternators would need to be =
replaced by 50K miles, water pumps, hoses and radiators would be =
fortunate to last 70K miles, brakes would need to be relined every 20K =
miles, etc.? Spark plugs, wires, caps, rotors, etc, were regular =
maintenance items? When cars would be high performance if they had over =
250HP, and average gas mileage was in the teens?

Agreed - my '04 WRX went almost 200k with needing only one easy to reach =
sensor.=20

>=20
> I have never leased a car before, but I almost think that now it may =
make sense to do so if you want to drive a new car. Buying a new car and =
keeping it for ten or 15 years does not sound like a good option =
anymore. I just cannot imagine what one of the new cars will be like to =
own once all of the electronics start to age and fail, or what equipment =
one would need to try to even diagnose the faults, let alone get to the =
defective part if it still is even available.

I'm looking at CX-30s, and they had a head cracking issue around 2020. =
The fix was to replace the engine, since getting to the head was a =
multi-day job even for the dealer. I hadn't considered leasing but as I =
near retirement it seems like a more and more viable option. Everything =
else is going subscription model, why not cars?

> Attaching a photo of two of the old cars that I still can maintain. =
;-)=20

I wish you hadn't done that :-)   I bought a house with no garage with =
the intention of building one but I live in MA and this year it decided =
to finally have a real winter. The ground froze a week after I closed =
and there's no sign of a thaw.=20

jim

--Apple-Mail=_A2FA6B64-4100-4F11-B24F-66A0CD298E11
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: =
after-white-space;"><br><div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Jan =
21, 2026, at 8:05 AM, Douglas Shook &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta =
charset=3D"UTF-8"><div dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size: =
small;">I think Moose's 2015 "cut-off date" for purchasing a vehicle is =
sound.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size: =
small;"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size: =
small;">Remember when exhaust systems on new cars would rust out in =
three years (in Northern climates), starters and alternators would need =
to be replaced by 50K miles, water pumps, hoses and radiators would be =
fortunate to last 70K miles, brakes would need to be relined every 20K =
miles, etc.? Spark plugs, wires, caps, rotors, etc, were regular =
maintenance&nbsp;items? When cars would be high performance if they had =
over 250HP, and average gas mileage was in the =
teens?</div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div>Agreed - my '04 WRX =
went almost 200k with needing only one easy to reach =
sensor.&nbsp;</div><div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div><div =
dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size: =
small;"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size: =
small;">I have never leased a car before, but I almost think that now it =
may make sense to do so if you want to drive a new car. Buying a new car =
and keeping it for ten or 15 years does not sound like a good option =
anymore. I just cannot imagine what one of the new cars will be like to =
own once all of the electronics start to age and fail, or what equipment =
one would need to try to even diagnose the faults, let alone get to the =
defective part if it still is even =
available.</div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div>I'm looking at =
CX-30s, and they had a head cracking issue around 2020. The fix was to =
replace the engine, since getting to the head was a multi-day job even =
for the dealer. I hadn't considered leasing but as I near retirement it =
seems like a more and more viable option. Everything else is going =
subscription model, why not cars?</div><div><br><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div><div dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size: =
small;">Attaching a photo of two of the old cars that I still can =
maintain. ;-)&nbsp;</div></div></div></blockquote><br></div><div>I wish =
you hadn't done that :-) &nbsp; I bought a house with no garage with the =
intention of building one but I live in MA and this year it decided to =
finally have a real winter. The ground froze a week after I closed and =
there's no sign of a =
thaw.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>jim</div><br></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_A2FA6B64-4100-4F11-B24F-66A0CD298E11--

--===============1333948474180599026==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1333948474180599026==--

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.yahoo
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2026 17:36:58 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7997701419994608401==
 boundary="------------LKQylc4PnvqpvDbScPb7riPG"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------LKQylc4PnvqpvDbScPb7riPG
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

We are very pleased with the new Mazda 3. The downside is that the 
manual transmission only comes with the premium trim version of the car 
in its 5-door iteration. The body style is okay because my wife prefers 
that anyway. In another oddity, there are limited color choices, but 
again, we got a combination we like, a black car with red leather interior.

This is the fourth Mazda 3 we have had, the last one being a 2014 5-door 
that we retired after 100,000 miles. Same deal, had to be a premium trim 
level, with some features we wouldn't have picked if given a choice, but 
they are nice to have.

The car is responsive and enjoyable to drive. No turbo, and I see no 
need for it. The naturally aspirated car has a 13:1 compression ratio 
with effective valve timing adjustment, I think, what they call "Sky 
Active". The transmission is very smooth, gearing well spaced, and the 
suspension is firm but compliant. Mazda recently ended the independent 
rear suspension in favor of something called a torsion beam, but we 
don't notice any difference from the former model. This newest version 
has more sound proofing so it's quieter inside, so some of that visceral 
feel is diminished, but it's still nice. One small complaint is that the 
steering has less feedback than the 2014 did, but it's not significant.

We were able to shut off the worst of the nanny controls, like automatic 
braking and attempts to prevent you from changing lanes.

There are blind spots to be sure, but the radar warns you of cars in the 
space near the rear quarters of the car. The 2014 had that, too.

Jim

On 1/21/2026 9:00 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2026, at 7:28 PM, Jim Juhas<[email-masked]> wrote:
>>

--------------LKQylc4PnvqpvDbScPb7riPG
 boundary="------------K8Crz3H2I3BmEf8NeaJhHO0f"

--------------K8Crz3H2I3BmEf8NeaJhHO0f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <font size="2">We are very pleased with the new Mazda 3. The
      downside is that the manual transmission only comes with the
      premium trim version of the car in its 5-door iteration. The body
      style is okay because my wife prefers that anyway. In another
      oddity, there are limited color choices, but again, we got a
      combination we like, a black car with red leather interior. <br>
      <br>
      This is the fourth Mazda 3 we have had, the last one being a 2014
      5-door that we retired after 100,000 miles. Same deal, had to be a
      premium trim level, with some features we wouldn't have picked if
      given a choice, but they are nice to have. <br>
      <br>
      The car is responsive and enjoyable to drive. No turbo, and I see
      no need for it. The naturally aspirated car has a 13:1 compression
      ratio with effective valve timing adjustment, I think, what they
      call "Sky Active". The transmission is very smooth, gearing well
      spaced, and the suspension is firm but compliant. Mazda recently
      ended the independent rear suspension in favor of something called
      a torsion beam, but we don't notice any difference from the former
      model. This newest version has more sound proofing so it's quieter
      inside, so some of that visceral feel is diminished, but it's
      still nice. One small complaint is that the steering has less
      feedback than the 2014 did, but it's not significant. <br>
      <br>
      We were able to shut off the worst of the nanny controls, like
      automatic braking and attempts to prevent you from changing
      lanes. <br>
      <br>
      There are blind spots to be sure, but the radar warns you of cars
      in the space near the rear quarters of the car. The 2014 had that,
      too.<br>
      <br>
      Jim</font>
    <div class="moz-signature"><br>
      <img src="cid:[email-masked]" border="0"></div>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/21/2026 9:00 AM, Jim Franklin
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">How do you like the 3? I am car shopping after my boat (CX-5) was totalled. I had a CX-30 turbo as a loner a few years back and loved it, but test drove a '22 yesterday and it was not as I remembered. The Golf GTI I really want is super rare and I can't afford to wait. The normal 3 has way too many blind spots for me, but I might give in if the NA manual is fun enough. In Europe they get the manual with the turbo in the CX-30. All my dream cars (and bikes) live over there :-(

the other jim

</pre>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">On Jan 20, 2026, at 7:28 PM, Jim Juhas <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> wrote:

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>
--------------K8Crz3H2I3BmEf8NeaJhHO0f
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="MGA_311_LRP_2.JPG"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------K8Crz3H2I3BmEf8NeaJhHO0f--

--------------LKQylc4PnvqpvDbScPb7riPG--

--===============7997701419994608401==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7997701419994608401==--