Subject: [Shop-talk] Garage door openers -- diff question

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2025 23:11:13 +0000

--===============9185371790053350927==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_MN2PR14MB2862B747D55934AE19925796B4D5AMN2PR14MB2862namp_"

--_000_MN2PR14MB2862B747D55934AE19925796B4D5AMN2PR14MB2862namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Another from my somewhat random question file while I wind down recovery fr=
om back surgery.....

When we bought this 120+ year old house, the original garage had already be=
en replaced by an extra deep two car garage space. The car door is a segmen=
ted two car wide door that had a Wayne Dalton "i drive" opener. It died/fai=
led over 15 years ago when we did not have the money to replace it. (still =
not sure how we got a mortgage back then when neither of us were making goo=
d money)

Anyway, near as I could determine back then between the error code lights a=
nd their CS help, the main board got fried when the door froze to the slab.=
 Since the door requires basically no effort to open manually, I never both=
ered to replace the opener.

Forward all these years, I think it is time to replace the opener. Before I=
 do, here is my question finally:

How TF do I keep the door from freezing to the slab again? I think(?) I can=
 set it to not close all the way. BUT, with the way the weather is here and=
 the amount of freezing rain we get here as well as the temp ups and downs,=
 the "not all the way gap" would need to be too big and would allow wild li=
fe in.

Since the boss is the one who gets the indoor parking in the winter (I have=
 to store either the Datto or the old Jeep elsewhere), I don't want her to =
have to kick the door in the mornings after a storm.

Thoughts please and thanks for reading my verboseness!!

tim

--_000_MN2PR14MB2862B747D55934AE19925796B4D5AMN2PR14MB2862namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
Another from my somewhat random question file while I wind down recovery fr=
om back surgery.....</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
When we bought this 120+ year old house, the original garage had already be=
en replaced by an extra deep two car garage space. The car door is a segmen=
ted two car wide door that had a Wayne Dalton &quot;i drive&quot; opener. I=
t died/failed over 15 years ago when we did
 not have the money to replace it. (still not sure how we got a mortgage ba=
ck then when neither of us were making good money)</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
Anyway, near as I could determine back then between the error code lights a=
nd their CS help, the main board got fried when the door froze to the slab.=
 Since the door requires basically no effort to open manually, I never both=
ered to replace the opener.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
Forward all these years, I think it is time to replace the opener. Before I=
 do, here is my question finally:&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
How TF do I keep the door from freezing to the slab again? I think(?) I can=
 set it to not close all the way. BUT, with the way the weather is here and=
 the amount of freezing rain we get here as well as the temp ups and downs,=
 the &quot;not all the way gap&quot; would
 need to be too big and would allow wild life in.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
Since the boss is the one who gets the indoor parking in the winter (I have=
 to store either the Datto or the old Jeep elsewhere), I don't want her to =
have to kick the door in the mornings after a storm.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
Thoughts please and thanks for reading my verboseness!!</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
tim</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class=3D"elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_MN2PR14MB2862B747D55934AE19925796B4D5AMN2PR14MB2862namp_--

--===============9185371790053350927==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============9185371790053350927==--

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2025 01:34:03 GMT

One other possibility no one has mentioned is a max blaster water gun full of isopropyl alcohol, kept inside the home where it should be around 65-70 degrees.  Use the relatively warm alcohol to melt the ice...

But I like the heat tape better.. 

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Al Fuller <[email-masked]>
To: Brian and Wendy Warrick <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door openers -- diff question
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2025 10:37:31 -0800

There is a well developed discussion in the following link. One commercially available suggestion is similar to the heat tape suggested below.
Link: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/garage-door-freezes-to-floor.309691/

________________
Sent from my phone 
Best Regards,
Al Fuller
On Fri, Nov 21, 2025, 5:11 PM Brian and Wendy Warrick <[email-masked]> wrote:

Thinking totally outside the box, but how about a strip of low wattage heat trace cable attached to the concrete where the door contacts it. It could be plugged into a thermostat to come on below freezing or a timer to come on 1-2 hours before you leave for
 work and get home.
Maybe they make heat traced garage door seal?
BrianFrom: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Al Fuller <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2025 4:57 PM
To: Tim . <[email-masked]>; Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Garage door openers -- diff question 
Tim - Is there any way to keep the water off of the door? Gutters on the garage, perhaps?
 
===========================
Al Fuller
714.335.0248 Mobile

------ Original Message ------From "Tim ." <[email-masked]>To "Shop Talk" <[email-masked]>Date 11/21/2025 3:11:13 PMSubject [Shop-talk] Garage door openers -- diff question
Another from my somewhat random question file while I wind down recovery from back surgery.....
When we bought this 120+ year old house, the original garage had already been replaced by an extra deep two car garage space. The car door is a segmented two car wide door that had a Wayne Dalton "i drive" opener. It died/failed over 15 years ago when we did
 not have the money to replace it. (still not sure how we got a mortgage back then when neither of us were making good money)

Anyway, near as I could determine back then between the error code lights and their CS help, the main board got fried when the door froze to the slab. Since the door requires basically no effort to open manually, I never bothered to replace the opener. 
Forward all these years, I think it is time to replace the opener. Before I do, here is my question finally: 
How TF do I keep the door from freezing to the slab again? I think(?) I can set it to not close all the way. BUT, with the way the weather is here and the amount of freezing rain we get here as well as the temp ups and downs, the "not all the way gap" would
 need to be too big and would allow wild life in.  
Since the boss is the one who gets the indoor parking in the winter (I have to store either the Datto or the old Jeep elsewhere), I don&#39;t want her to have to kick the door in the mornings after a storm.
Thoughts please and thanks for reading my verboseness!!
tim

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]