Subject: [Shop-talk] New engine for a Honda?

From: Moose <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2025 06:37:05 -0500 11/20/2025 06:37:07 AM, Serialize complete at 11/20/2025 06:37:07 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============3258995071280581751==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 003FD24285258D48_=

My SO has a daily driver of a  2000 Honda Accord EX with a 2.3L I4 F OHV 
engine.  She loves this car, and it's in REALLY great shape. She has had 
the car for a little over 3 years and she changes the oil every 3000 miles 
faithfully.   The only problem, about a month or so ago the SR5 and check 
engine light came on.  I got the codes and it was coming on the evap leak. 
 As I was looking for into it, it seemed to be a problem to diagnose (need 
smoke generator, computers to turn on an off relays) and my time has been 
split with lots of other projects.  So I made an appointment with my local 
trusted mechanic.  Note, recently we also got her another car, so she 
switches between them and this isn't a daily, but semi-daily driver.

Then 2 days ago, the oil light comes on.  She checks the oil, the stick is 
dry! She puts some oil in (it takes 3 qts to come up to full.) Then drives 
home.  I check it the next morning.  A qt low.  So we take it out for a 
short ride.  No blue smoke under load, no white smoke.  Very faint smell 
of burning oil.  No leaks anywhere.   I did an oil change in March, and 
she hasn't put 3000 miles on it yet. 

For a last hope, I check the intake hoping to find oil in it and maybe 
it's just an erg valve.  No oil. 8>( So, car is burning oil.  I do some 
research and find that some Hondas had issues with rings. 

OK, a ring job is more than likely more than the car is worth, but here is 
the rub.  The car is in great shape, and she LOVES the car.  So I'd be 
willing to put money into it, even if it was more than it was worth as she 
would want to keep this one for a long time. 

My questions are...

Is there anything else I can check?  (Note, I don't think I'll see a 
problem with compression testing as the oil can still 'seal up' the 
cylinders, right?) 
Could this be related to the codes? (I don't believe so, but I'm not that 
well versed on Hondas.)

Would a ring job be better than a re-manufactured engine?

Has anyone ever put a re-manufactured engine in a Honda?  I did one in my 
Jeep decades ago and it went well.

Thanks.

--=_alternative 003FD24285258D48_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">My SO has a daily driver of a &nbsp;2000
Honda Accord EX with a 2.3L I4 F OHV engine. &nbsp;She loves this car,
and it's in REALLY great shape. She has had the car for a little over 3
years and she changes the oil every 3000 miles faithfully. &nbsp; The only
problem, about a month or so ago the SR5 and check engine light came on.
&nbsp;I got the codes and it was coming on the evap leak. &nbsp;As I was
looking for into it, it seemed to be a problem to diagnose (need smoke
generator, computers to turn on an off relays) and my time has been split
with lots of other projects. &nbsp;So I made an appointment with my local
trusted mechanic. &nbsp;Note, recently we also got her another car, so
she switches between them and this isn't a daily, but semi-daily driver.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then 2 days ago, the oil light comes
on. &nbsp;She checks the oil, the stick is dry! She puts some oil in (it
takes 3 qts to come up to full.) Then drives home. &nbsp;I check it the
next morning. &nbsp;A qt low. &nbsp;So we take it out for a short ride.
&nbsp;No blue smoke under load, no white smoke. &nbsp;Very faint smell
of burning oil. &nbsp;No leaks anywhere. &nbsp; I did an oil change in
March, and she hasn't put 3000 miles on it yet. &nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">For a last hope, I check the intake
hoping to find oil in it and maybe it's just an erg valve. &nbsp;No oil.
8&gt;( So, car is burning oil. &nbsp;I do some research and find that some
Hondas had issues with rings. </font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">OK, a ring job is more than likely more
than the car is worth, but here is the rub. &nbsp;The car is in great shape,
and she LOVES the car. &nbsp;So I'd be willing to put money into it, even
if it was more than it was worth as she would want to keep this one for
a long time. </font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">My questions are...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Is there anything else I can check?
&nbsp;(Note, I don't think I'll see a problem with compression testing
as the oil can still 'seal up' the cylinders, right?) </font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Could this be related to the codes?
(I don't believe so, but I'm not that well versed on Hondas.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Would a ring job be better than a re-manufactured
engine?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Has anyone ever put a re-manufactured
engine in a Honda? &nbsp;I did one in my Jeep decades ago and it went well.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks.</font>
<br>
--=_alternative 003FD24285258D48_=--

--===============3258995071280581751==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3258995071280581751==--