Subject: [Shop-talk] Plastic epoxy/solvent weld

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]> boundary="Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3"
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2025 10:52:04 -0400

--Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

My granddaughter asked me to fix her favorite hair clip and I=E2=80=99d =
like to keep my reputation as Grandpa Fixit intact.  The part that came =
off will be under stress when the clip is used.  The plastic didn=E2=80=99=
t break; the larger, decorative part of the clip came loose from the =
spring clip.  It looks to me like it was originally solvent welded, not =
glued. =20

--Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=IMG_8004.jpeg
	name="IMG_8004.jpeg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=IMG_8005.jpeg
	name="IMG_8005.jpeg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

I have never had tremendous luck gluing plastic but never tried solvent =
welding. Does anyone here have a recommendations for either a strong =
enough plastic glue or a readily available solvent that I could use to =
bond the two pieces and keep my reputation intact?

Thanks,

PaG, aka Jim=

--Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--Apple-Mail=_09BE836D-2E54-483F-9E88-FF355D4D57B3--