Subject: [Shop-talk] ZTR zt-3100 trans question

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]> /8N7xFAMyVrxG7C8HKFbvoYlsKsv5Q6ys2hlg+wvZSjz9M/DeLIvFQ9RCtlUDSyInG++3n5NMh6 UySuswNwNBcvK7H0iaTLUaCjS8Mnxh+DbRm/FUWow427Pn6rqB1uqHsJ6GGpZ9gAPtkaYR1K2v8 qLieCQY/io+X7VE6hnjo68+NdjaN9jmRTZ1PEpoQQEPq2/dw9duAfpEYIUFF6s4mK3RYQPECZou BKVBz79Vd2kyNx3//J2iPyEElDUNE64kXOwU/W0o3K4/sHRMu98nFeJjl13tY2L6cWUJE7Zqw= engine=ICAP:2.0.293,Aquarius:18.0.1117,Hydra:6.1.9,FMLib:17.12.80.40 definitions=2025-09-04_08,2025-09-04_01,2025-03-28_01 bulkscore=0 adultscore=0 mlxlogscore=841 suspectscore=0 phishscore=0 mlxscore=0 clxscore=1015 spamscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=ml
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2025 18:08:11 -0500

I have a 10 year old 60" Ariens mower that has a problem that I'd like 
some input on. This mower has about 1600 hours on it, has always had 
timely service & everything has been working fine up until last week. It 
seems that a couple of the mounting bolts on one trans sheared, allowing 
that trans to slip out of place. I replaced all the bolts, both sides. 
As I was putting the wheels back on, noticed that there was quite a bit 
of slop in the axle, allowing the wheels to move in & out about 2mm 
each. Checking with shops & the manual showed that there shouldn't be 
any play. I'm thinking about going into the trans to see what I can find 
but I've never been into one of these. Has anyone gone in?

The trans is a zt-3100. In looking on line, there aren't a lot of parts 
for this trans, mainly seals & bearings. Replacement transmissions are 
listed for about $1200 each, while high, is within range. I drove it 
after replacing the bolts & doing a fluid change & it worked for the 
most part, only running slightly slower on the side that had the sheared 
bolts.

I'm thinking that I could run it as it is until winter when I can tear 
it down and if I can't repair them, replace both transmissions. I've 
always been of the opinion that if something is broken it's not a 
problem to see if I can fix it, I can't break it any more!

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Pat

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive