Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] grind glass

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2025 17:20:40 +0000

--===============8877133258132256216==
 boundary="--_NmP-f62520c8d2662dbf-Part_1"

----_NmP-f62520c8d2662dbf-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

John - You can try on a scrap if you have a piece. Any grinding stone =
should work.  Go slow and don't use much pressure.  I had a large piece cut=
 for a light table at a glass shop and they smoothed the edge with a belt =
sander with a narrow belt (approx 1/2").  Have the glass on a soft surface =
to help absorb vibrations.  Of course, wear eye protection.

You could also look for a stained glass shop in your area.  They will have =
a special glass grinder, kind of like a router table and will leave a very =
nice edge.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: john niolon <[email-masked]>
Sent: Jun 9, 2025 9:37 AM
To: shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] grind glass

I'm refurbing an old gas pump and had the windows cut at Lowes for the =
computer.  They have a rubber molding that goes around them
and resembles a windshield molding and has to be roped into the door.  The =
molding doesn't conform to the sharp 90 degree turns so I=20
need to grind down the corners into curves...
=20
I'm not a glass man but google tells me you can do this with a Dremel tool.=
   Any glass experts out there ??  This is 1/8 regular window glass=20
=20
I'd appreciate any advice on procedure and type of bit to use... Educate =
me
=20
john
=20

----_NmP-f62520c8d2662dbf-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12p=
t"><p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">John - You can try on a=
 scrap if you have a piece. Any grinding stone should work.&nbsp; Go slow =
and don't use much pressure.&nbsp; I had a large piece cut for a light =
table at a glass shop and they smoothed the edge with a belt sander with a =
narrow belt (approx 1/2").&nbsp; Have the glass on a soft surface to help =
absorb vibrations.&nbsp; Of course, wear eye protection.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">You could also look for a =
stained glass shop in your area.&nbsp; They will have a special glass =
grinder, kind of like a router table and will leave a very nice edge.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Brian</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
</div>
<div class=3D"elnk-inline-message-container" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid #aaa; box-sizing: border-box; padding: 10px 0 10px 15px; margin: =
0;">
<p>-----Original Message-----<br>From: john niolon &lt;jniolon@att.=
net&gt;<br>Sent: Jun 9, 2025 9:37 AM<br>To: shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox.=
team.net&gt;<br>Subject: [Shop-talk] grind glass</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Segoe UI;">I'm refurbing an old gas pump =
and had the windows cut at Lowes for the computer.&nbsp; They have a rubber=
 molding that goes around them</span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Segoe UI;">and resembles a windshield =
molding and has to be roped into the door.&nbsp; The molding doesn't =
conform to the sharp 90 degree turns so I </span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Segoe UI;">need to grind down the corners =
into curves...</span></div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Segoe UI;">I'm not a glass man but google =
tells me you can do this with a Dremel tool.&nbsp;&nbsp; Any glass experts =
out there ??&nbsp; This is 1/8 regular window glass </span></div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Segoe UI;">I'd appreciate any advice on =
procedure and type of bit to use... Educate me</span></div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Segoe UI;">john</span></div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>

<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.=
0;">&nbsp;</p>
----_NmP-f62520c8d2662dbf-Part_1--

--===============8877133258132256216==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8877133258132256216==--