Subject: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener issue

From: Moose <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 16:17:14 -0400 05/28/2025 04:17:23 PM, Serialize complete at 05/28/2025 04:17:23 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============4291160772931941082==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 006F722785258C98_=

I have a 23 year old Raynor Powerhoist commercial unit. (it's for a 14' X 
14' door.)

Just out of nowhere, it started going up a foot and closing.  Over and 
over again. 
I have all the remotes, and nothing changed. 
I also disconnected the door and the unit still does this so it isn't a 
door/spring/resistance issue.
I live in the middle of nowhere, so there isn't any interference possible.
There are no unusable noises. Unit is working fine opening and closing 
even with the door connected. No other noise or issues. 
I haven't touched this unit, the door or the track in a long time. 

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Moose
--=_alternative 006F722785258C98_=

<font size=3>I have a 23 year old Raynor Powerhoist commercial unit. (it's
for a 14' X 14' door.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>Just out of nowhere, it started going up a foot and closing.
&nbsp;Over and over again. &nbsp;</font>
<br><font size=3>I have all the remotes, and nothing changed. &nbsp;</font>
<br><font size=3>I also disconnected the door and the unit still does this
so it isn't a door/spring/resistance issue.</font>
<br><font size=3>I live in the middle of nowhere, so there isn't any interference
possible.</font>
<br><font size=3>There are no unusable noises. Unit is working fine opening
and closing even with the door connected. No other noise or issues. </font>
<br><font size=3>I haven't touched this unit, the door or the track in
a long time. </font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>Anyone got any ideas?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>Thanks in advance</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>Moose</font>
--=_alternative 006F722785258C98_=--

--===============4291160772931941082==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============4291160772931941082==--

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.yahoo
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 16:46:12 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6474100328589973980==
 boundary="------------wETNLYDyIvAQr9LztPpJZ1aF"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------wETNLYDyIvAQr9LztPpJZ1aF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I had a similar thing happen with an 8 year-old Liftmaster unit that 
drives on the shaft that holds the torsion springs. Lots of safety 
features so I am not sure my experience is relevant, but there might be 
similarities.

It turns out that the Liftmaster has a device inside that senses that 
the cables are actually being driven. It's an electronic sensor that 
confirms the drive is driving. They call it a "Traveler." Same symptoms, 
but mine started out only going a few feet and reversing, and then it 
got worse and only moved an inch or so.

I called the manufacturer and the rep identified this module as the 
problem. They sent me a new one at no cost, with elaborate instructions 
on installation, even though the unit was 3 years out of warranty.

However, by the time it arrived, the opener seemed to heal itself after 
I went through their prescribed diagnosis procedure (involving counting 
the sequence of blinking LEDs) so I haven't had reason yet to install 
the new part.

The commonality in my situation and yours MIGHT be that there is a 
device that senses the movement of the door in some way. In my case it 
appears to be an electronic pickup that knows when a drive wheel is 
turning. Mine was obviously confused.

Jim

On 5/28/2025 4:17 PM, Moose wrote:
> I have a 23 year old Raynor Powerhoist commercial unit. (it's for a 
> 14' X 14' door.)
>
> I also disconnected the door and the unit still does this so it isn't 
> a door/spring/resistance issue.
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------wETNLYDyIvAQr9LztPpJZ1aF
 boundary="------------hJVGJIcGVcB2A0AC0qfLdhoD"

--------------hJVGJIcGVcB2A0AC0qfLdhoD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    I had a similar thing happen with an 8 year-old Liftmaster unit that
    drives on the shaft that holds the torsion springs. Lots of safety
    features so I am not sure my experience is relevant, but there might
    be similarities.<br>
    <br>
    It turns out that the Liftmaster has a device inside that senses
    that the cables are actually being driven. It's an electronic sensor
    that confirms the drive is driving. They call it a "Traveler." Same
    symptoms, but mine started out only going a few feet and reversing,
    and then it got worse and only moved an inch or so.<br>
    <br>
    I called the manufacturer and the rep identified this module as the
    problem. They sent me a new one at no cost, with elaborate
    instructions on installation, even though the unit was 3 years out
    of warranty. <br>
    <br>
    However, by the time it arrived, the opener seemed to heal itself
    after I went through their prescribed diagnosis procedure (involving
    counting the sequence of blinking LEDs) so I haven't had reason yet
    to install the new part.<br>
    <br>
    The commonality in my situation and yours MIGHT be that there is a
    device that senses the movement of the door in some way. In my case
    it appears to be an electronic pickup that knows when a drive wheel
    is turning. Mine was obviously confused.<br>
    <br>
    Jim<br>
    <div class="moz-signature"><br>
      <img src="cid:[email-masked]" border="0"></div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/28/2025 4:17 PM, Moose wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <font size="3">I have a 23 year old Raynor Powerhoist commercial
        unit. (it's
        for a 14' X 14' door.)</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="3">Just out of nowhere, it started going up a foot and
        closing.
         Over and over again.  </font>
      <br>
      <font size="3">I have all the remotes, and nothing changed.  </font>
      <br>
      <font size="3">I also disconnected the door and the unit still
        does this
        so it isn't a door/spring/resistance issue.</font>
      <br>
      <font size="3">I live in the middle of nowhere, so there isn't any
        interference
        possible.</font>
      <br>
      <font size="3">There are no unusable noises. Unit is working fine
        opening
        and closing even with the door connected. No other noise or
        issues. </font>
      <br>
      <font size="3">I haven't touched this unit, the door or the track
        in
        a long time. </font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="3">Anyone got any ideas?</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="3">Thanks in advance</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="3">Moose</font>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>
--------------hJVGJIcGVcB2A0AC0qfLdhoD
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="MGA_311_LRP_2.JPG"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------hJVGJIcGVcB2A0AC0qfLdhoD--

--------------wETNLYDyIvAQr9LztPpJZ1aF--

--===============6474100328589973980==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6474100328589973980==--