Subject: [Shop-talk] Manual transmission issue???

From: Moose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2025 08:37:38 -0400 05/25/2025 08:37:42 AM, Serialize complete at 05/25/2025 08:37:42 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============0840654284500092121==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 00455E5D85258C95_=

Braintrust,

I don't mess with transmissions at all, so I'm in the dark here. Hopefully 
someone has the answer and it's an easy fix.

The issue,   2017 Jeep Patriot with a 5 speed manual transmission makes a 
'whirring' sound when driving in 3rd gear or higher.

Started about a year ago, when car was picked up from a franchise mechanic 
shop.  (owner of car is a single woman without much money.) 

When she called them back they where like, "Well, we would have to charge 
you to look at it."  So since she already suspected they caused the 
issues, she didn't want to give them more money.

She brought it to another shop and they said, "You need a new 
transmission."  That will more than likely exceed the valve of the Jeep. 
So they just did a fluid change, and that was it.  Note, in their carfax 
report, they listed that they "installed a new transmission" in addition 
to the fluid change, so I don't trust them either.

It's a manual 5 speed.  I checked the fluid level and it is exactly where 
it should be.  So I did a road test.

Here is the crazy part.
There is NOTHING that I can feel that would indicate any transmission 
problems.  No slipping, no chucking, it shifts smooth and pulls strong. No 
vibrations.  The only thing is that noise, and that ONLY happens when you 
give it throttle.

So if you are going down the street at 50, and take your foot off the gas 
pedal, noise goes away. If you just give it a little gas, noise returns.

If you have it in neutral coasting, no noise.  If you are engine braking, 
no noise. The noise is ONLY if you have your foot on the gas in the 
slightest.

Note, there is also no noticeable noise in 1st or 2nd gear.

I am thinking that the original shop did something to the car to make it 
start this noise, knowing she would take it back there to get it fixed and 
that it's a simple fix.

I would love to be able to fix this as it is a hard working girl that 
doesn't have much money and really takes care of her car.  She is also a 
good friend of my fiancee, so it would be bonus points for me. 8>)

Thanks and I hope everyone takes a moment to think about all the Soldier's 
that gave their lives to protect our freedoms, (no matter what country you 
are from.)

Have a great weekend!

Moose
--=_alternative 00455E5D85258C95_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Braintrust,</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I don't mess with transmissions at all,
so I'm in the dark here. &nbsp;Hopefully someone has the answer and it's
an easy fix.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The issue, &nbsp; 2017 Jeep Patriot
with a 5 speed manual transmission makes a 'whirring' sound when driving
in 3rd gear or higher.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Started about a year ago, when car was
picked up from a franchise mechanic shop. &nbsp;(owner of car is a single
woman without much money.) </font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">When she called them back they where
like, &quot;Well, we would have to charge you to look at it.&quot; &nbsp;So
since she already suspected they caused the issues, she didn't want to
give them more money.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">She brought it to another shop and they
said, &quot;You need a new transmission.&quot; &nbsp;That will more than
likely exceed the valve of the Jeep. So they just did a fluid change, and
that was it. &nbsp;Note, in their carfax report, they listed that they
&quot;installed a new transmission&quot; in addition to the fluid change,
so I don't trust them either.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">It's a manual 5 speed. &nbsp;I checked
the fluid level and it is exactly where it should be. &nbsp;So I did a
road test.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Here is the crazy part.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">There is NOTHING that I can feel that
would indicate any transmission problems. &nbsp;No slipping, no chucking,
it shifts smooth and pulls strong. &nbsp;No vibrations. &nbsp;The only
thing is that noise, and that ONLY happens when you give it throttle.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">So if you are going down the street
at 50, and take your foot off the gas pedal, noise goes away. If you just
give it a little gas, noise returns.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">If you have it in neutral coasting,
no noise. &nbsp;If you are engine braking, no noise. The noise is ONLY
if you have your foot on the gas in the slightest.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Note, there is also no noticeable noise
in 1st or 2nd gear.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I am thinking that the original shop
did something to the car to make it start this noise, knowing she would
take it back there to get it fixed and that it's a simple fix.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I would love to be able to fix this
as it is a hard working girl that doesn't have much money and really takes
care of her car. &nbsp;She is also a good friend of my fiancee, so it would
be bonus points for me. 8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks and I hope everyone takes a moment
to think about all the Soldier's that gave their lives to protect our freedoms,
(no matter what country you are from.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Have a great weekend!</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
--=_alternative 00455E5D85258C95_=--

--===============0840654284500092121==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============0840654284500092121==--