Subject: [Shop-talk] Determine NEMA outlet type if it’s plugged in?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2025 09:32:16 -0400

I’m dealing with a bunch of Schroedinger’s outlets here. All the outlets are in use so I can’t unplug them to look at the NEMA marking, but I need to replace the devices plugged in, which can be ordered with various plug types. Is there a way to tell from the outside what type I have? It’s round, which narrows it down to a few…

Thanks,
Jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2025 19:31:47 +0000

--===============5160559378323092731==
 boundary="--_NmP-99b5f5846b1b20ee-Part_1"

----_NmP-99b5f5846b1b20ee-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Can't speak to the plugs, but recommend periodic testing of UPS if the =
situation permits.  I've had them either fail or indicate all is good, but =
on the slightest power dip, turn off.  For home and smaller office UPS, I =
power off the load and plug the UPS into a switched power strip then plug =
in an electric heater with fan at about 1000W.  I then flip off the power =
and make sure the UPS goes a few minutes.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Apr 9, 2025 12:09 PM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Determine NEMA outlet type if it&rsquo;s plugged =
in?

Yes, twist lock. The devices in question are UPSs, and are 2880va, 120v =
units. And it may be confirmation bias, but 2880va/120v =3D 24a, which is =
80% of 30a, the standard derating. So I'm inclined to believe they are =
L5-30, especially since one unused one in the rail of 10 outlets is (local =
guy was able to unplug an unused unit). Does that make sense or am I =
thinking wishfully here (I have an order ready to go for mew ones with =
L5-30 plugs, just waitng for the outlet specs).
jim
On 2025-04-09 16:15, DAVID MASSEY wrote:
Are these the TwistLock variety?  If so many of them look very similar but =
have subtle differences making them incompatible with other styles.  This =
is to make a 120V/20 amp different from a 220V20 amp so as to avoid the =
possibility of plugging a 120V device into a 220V circuit.  Or a 120V 30A =
device into a 20A circuit.
=20
You might be able to determine what styles you need from the nameplate =
ratings on the powered device.  In other words is it a 120V or a 220V =
device?  Of course if it dual voltage device it may be ambiguous.
=20
Dave=20

=20

=20
=20

On Wednesday, April 9, 2025 at 10:03:22 AM CDT, Jim Franklin =
<[email-masked]> wrote:

=20
=20
I'm dealing with a bunch of Schroedinger's outlets here. All the outlets =
are in use so I can't unplug them to look at the NEMA marking, but I need =
to replace the devices plugged in, which can be ordered with various plug =
types. Is there a way to tell from the outside what type I have? It's round=
, which narrows it down to a few...
=20
Thanks,
Jim
_______________________________________________
=20
[email-masked] (mailto:[email-masked])
Archive:  http://autox.team.net/archive (http://www.team.=
net/pipermail/shop-talk)
=20
[email-masked]
=20

----_NmP-99b5f5846b1b20ee-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12p=
t"><p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Can't speak to the =
plugs, but recommend periodic testing of UPS if the situation permits.=
&nbsp; I've had them either fail or indicate all is good, but on the =
slightest power dip, turn off.&nbsp; For home and smaller office UPS, I =
power off the load and plug the UPS into a switched power strip then plug =
in an electric heater with fan at about 1000W.&nbsp; I then flip off the =
power and make sure the UPS goes a few minutes.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Brian</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
</div>
<div class=3D"elnk-inline-message-container" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid #aaa; box-sizing: border-box; padding: 10px 0 10px 15px; margin: =
0;">
<p>-----Original Message-----<br>From: &lt;jamesf@groupwbench.=
org&gt;<br>Sent: Apr 9, 2025 12:09 PM<br>To: &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Determine NEMA outlet type if =
it=E2=80=99s plugged in?</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p id=3D"reply-intro">Yes, twist lock. The devices in question are UPSs, =
and are 2880va, 120v units. And it may be confirmation bias, but =
2880va/120v =3D 24a, which is 80% of 30a, the standard derating. So I'm =
inclined to believe they are L5-30, especially since one unused one in the =
rail of 10 outlets is (local guy was able to unplug an unused unit). Does =
that make sense or am I thinking wishfully here (I have an order ready to =
go for mew ones with L5-30 plugs, just waitng for the outlet specs).</p>
<p>jim</p>
<p>On 2025-04-09 16:15, DAVID MASSEY wrote:</p>
<blockquote style=3D"padding: 0 0.4em; border-left: #1010ff 2px solid; =
margin: 0;">
<div id=3D"replybody1">
<div>
<div class=3D"v1ydp88081861yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-family: Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">
<div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Are these the TwistLock variety?&nbsp; If so many of them =
look very similar but have subtle differences making them incompatible with=
 other styles.&nbsp; This is to make a 120V/20 amp different from a 220V20 =
amp so as to avoid the possibility of plugging a 120V device into a 220V =
circuit.&nbsp; Or a 120V 30A device into a 20A circuit.</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">You might be able to determine what styles you need from =
the nameplate ratings on the powered device.&nbsp; In other words is it a =
120V or a 220V device?&nbsp; Of course if it dual voltage device it may be =
ambiguous.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"v1ydp88081861signature">
<div style=3D"color: black; font-style: normal; font-size-adjust: none; =
font-weight: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12pt; line-height: =
normal; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div style=3D"color: black; font-style: normal; font-size-adjust: none; =
font-weight: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12pt; line-height: =
normal; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div><span style=3D"font-size: large;">Dave <br></span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-size: 10.0pt; font-family: sans-serif; color: =
black;">&nbsp;</span></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div id=3D"v1ydpb4963a08yahoo_quoted_4683615947" class=3D"v1ydpb4963a08yaho=
o_quoted">
<div class=3D"v1ydpb4963a08yahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-family: Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">
<div style=3D"font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; =
font-size: 13px; color: #26282a;">
<div class=3D"v1ydpb4963a08quoted-text-header">On Wednesday, April 9, 2025 =
at 10:03:22 AM CDT, Jim Franklin &lt;[email-masked]&gt; =
wrote:</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"v1ydpb4963a08inline_reply_quote_container" =
style=3D"font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; =
font-size: 13px; color: #26282a; border-left: 1px solid #ccc; padding-left:=
 8px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 8px;">
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">I'm dealing with a bunch of Schroedinger's outlets here. =
All the outlets are in use so I can't unplug them to look at the NEMA =
marking, but I need to replace the devices plugged in, which can be ordered=
 with various plug types. Is there a way to tell from the outside what type=
 I have? It's round, which narrows it down to a few...</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks,</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Jim</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">_______________________________________________</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr"><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a></div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.=
html</a></div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.96</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.=
net/pipermail/shop-talk" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener =
noreferrer">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener =
noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/archive</a></div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noopener noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk=
/[email-masked]</a></div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
</div>

<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.=
0;">&nbsp;</p>
----_NmP-99b5f5846b1b20ee-Part_1--

--===============5160559378323092731==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5160559378323092731==--