Subject: [Shop-talk] FYI: it's still possible to buy good tools at a good price

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2025 15:18:51 -0500

I needed a new torque wrench but had trouble finding one with the specs 
I wanted. I don't ever need to reach 250 ft-lbs, I'd like to measure 
down to 10 or 20 ft-lbs, and I didn't want a no-name brand. I wanted 
1/2" drive. I guess that the electronic ones are nice to have, but 
they're twice the price as the "click" ones. I had trouble meeting these 
criteria.

Then I found the place to get original Craftsman tools that may have 
been cleared out of stores that closed. Yep, sears.com. I found exactly 
what I wanted: Crafsman 1/2" drive, 10 to 150 ft-lbs click wrench. 
Original price: $139.99. Currently available at $54.99. I jumped on it.

I feared that this might be a Chinese fake one or worse, but the return 
policy was solid. It arrived in a few days - and DAYUM, this is just 
what I wanted. Clearly original Craftsman quality, comes in the 
old-school case like a lot of the Sears tools did. It still had the 
security tag on it (i.e. this was originally in a store somewhere and 
they didn't want it to get stolen). I was reinstalling my TR6 front 
suspension with all new bushings etc. so plenty of chances to test it 
out, and it works beautifully (and feels great in my hands).

There are plenty of other tool options there; if you're looking for a 
good tool I recommend it. The one I bought is still showing 
availability, plenty of others available too (at highly discounted 
prices):
   
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-2-8221-dr-10-150-ft-lb-torque-wrench-24t/p-A102532141
A lot of the tools I looked at were more than 50% discounted. The one I 
bought did NOT offer free shipping, but some of the pricier tools do.

As usual, YMMV.
  Lee
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive