Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Roll crimping an instrument bezel by hand?

From: Moose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 07:19:47 -0400 08/10/2024 07:19:52 AM, Serialize complete at 08/10/2024 07:19:52 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============4719144952645420715==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 003E3D1E85258B75_=

Jim,

Doesn't seem like this would be to hard to fab something up to do this on 
a drill press.  The 'live center' would be the biggest challenge, but I 
can think of a bunch of ways to do it.

Don't forget, this is also an excuse to buy a REALLY helpful tool!  8>)

Moose

From:   Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
To:     Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Date:   08/09/2024 14:37
Subject:        [Shop-talk] Roll crimping an instrument bezel by hand?
Sent by:        "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>

I need to round over the bezel of a motorcycle speedometer after replacing 
the glass. I've seen it done by lathe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ugiz4xVrU

but my lathe buddy has been saying "this weekend" for over a month. I 
don't have anything bigger than a hand drill at the moment. The bezel 
sticks up about 2mm past the face it needs to crimp over, so not much to 
work with, and that's with one hand compressing the rubber seal. 

I tried rolling a big socket over it to simulate the avove motion but I 
couldn't get the metal to deform at all. I feel if I use more leverage 
like with a tablespoon I'll end up stretching the metal rather than 
shrinking it to its smaller circumference. 

I'm sitting on my hands but if we don't get to it this weekend I'm afraid 
I'll lose it and end up ruining it. Any ideas on how not to ruin it? :-)

thanks,
jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk 
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--=_alternative 003E3D1E85258B75_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Jim,</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Doesn't seem like this would be to hard
to fab something up to do this on a drill press. &nbsp;The 'live center'
would be the biggest challenge, but I can think of a bunch of ways to do
it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Don't forget, this is also an excuse
to buy a REALLY helpful tool! &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Jim Franklin &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Shop Talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">08/09/2024 14:37</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">[Shop-talk]
Roll crimping an instrument bezel by hand?</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Sent by: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;Shop-talk&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><font size=2>I need to round over the bezel of a motorcycle speedometer
after replacing the glass. I've seen it done by lathe:<br>
<br>
</font></tt><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ugiz4xVrU"><tt><font size=2>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ugiz4xVrU</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2><br>
<br>
but my lathe buddy has been saying &quot;this weekend&quot; for over a
month. I don't have anything bigger than a hand drill at the moment. The
bezel sticks up about 2mm past the face it needs to crimp over, so not
much to work with, and that's with one hand compressing the rubber seal.
<br>
<br>
I tried rolling a big socket over it to simulate the avove motion but I
couldn't get the metal to deform at all. I feel if I use more leverage
like with a tablespoon I'll end up stretching the metal rather than shrinking
it to its smaller circumference. <br>
<br>
I'm sitting on my hands but if we don't get to it this weekend I'm afraid
I'll lose it and end up ruining it. Any ideas on how not to ruin it? :-)<br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
Archive: </font></tt><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><tt><font size=2>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2>
</font></tt><a href=http://autox.team.net/archive><tt><font size=2>http://autox.team.net/archive</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2><br>
<br>
<br>
</font></tt>
<br>
--=_alternative 003E3D1E85258B75_=--

--===============4719144952645420715==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============4719144952645420715==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 07:38:48 -0400

--===============6160492037870820916==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_34987FD5-CE89-46E4-AA29-94CD03C1E6B0"

--Apple-Mail=_34987FD5-CE89-46E4-AA29-94CD03C1E6B0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

Hahaha, yea, the MINUTE the housing market loosens up and I can find a =
place with a decent shop opportunity that's also not 100 miles from an =
airport (work)...

I saw a video of roll crimping shotgun shells on a drill press but that =
uses a special crimping tool, and the tool rotates in the drill instead =
of the shell, whereas in my case I'm 99% sure I'll need the speedo to =
rotate while the crimper is fixed, especially with the cable housing and =
threaded mounting studs standing proud of the back of the gauge.=20

jim

> On Aug 10, 2024, at 7:19 AM, Moose <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Jim,=20
>=20
> Doesn't seem like this would be to hard to fab something up to do this =
on a drill press.  The 'live center' would be the biggest challenge, but =
I can think of a bunch of ways to do it.=20
>=20
> Don't forget, this is also an excuse to buy a REALLY helpful tool!  =
8>)=20
>=20
> Moose=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> From:        Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>=20
> To:        Shop Talk <[email-masked]>=20
> Date:        08/09/2024 14:37=20
> Subject:        [Shop-talk] Roll crimping an instrument bezel by hand?=20=

> Sent by:        "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I need to round over the bezel of a motorcycle speedometer after =
replacing the glass. I've seen it done by lathe:
>=20
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DG2ugiz4xVrU
>=20
> but my lathe buddy has been saying "this weekend" for over a month. I =
don't have anything bigger than a hand drill at the moment. The bezel =
sticks up about 2mm past the face it needs to crimp over, so not much to =
work with, and that's with one hand compressing the rubber seal.=20
>=20
> I tried rolling a big socket over it to simulate the avove motion but =
I couldn't get the metal to deform at all. I feel if I use more leverage =
like with a tablespoon I'll end up stretching the metal rather than =
shrinking it to its smaller circumference.=20
>=20
> I'm sitting on my hands but if we don't get to it this weekend I'm =
afraid I'll lose it and end up ruining it. Any ideas on how not to ruin =
it? :-)
>=20
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_34987FD5-CE89-46E4-AA29-94CD03C1E6B0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></head><body style="overflow-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Hahaha, yea, the MINUTE the housing market loosens up and I can find a place with a decent shop opportunity that's also not 100 miles from an airport (work)...<div><br></div><div>I saw a video of roll crimping shotgun shells on a drill press but that uses a special crimping tool, and the tool rotates in the drill instead of the shell, whereas in my case I'm 99% sure I'll need the speedo to rotate while the crimper is fixed, especially with the cable housing and threaded mounting studs standing proud of the back of the gauge.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>jim<br><div><br><blockquote type="cite"><div>On Aug 10, 2024, at 7:19 AM, Moose &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Jim,</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Doesn't seem like this would be to hard
to fab something up to do this on a drill press. &nbsp;The 'live center'
would be the biggest challenge, but I can think of a bunch of ways to do
it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Don't forget, this is also an excuse
to buy a REALLY helpful tool! &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size="1" color="#5f5f5f" face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size="1" face="sans-serif">Jim Franklin &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size="1" color="#5f5f5f" face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size="1" face="sans-serif">Shop Talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size="1" color="#5f5f5f" face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size="1" face="sans-serif">08/09/2024 14:37</font>
<br><font size="1" color="#5f5f5f" face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size="1" face="sans-serif">[Shop-talk]
Roll crimping an instrument bezel by hand?</font>
<br><font size="1" color="#5f5f5f" face="sans-serif">Sent by: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size="1" face="sans-serif">"Shop-talk"
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br>
<hr noshade="">
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><font size="2">I need to round over the bezel of a motorcycle speedometer
after replacing the glass. I've seen it done by lathe:<br>
<br>
</font></tt><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ugiz4xVrU"><tt><font size="2">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ugiz4xVrU</font></tt></a><tt><font size="2"><br>
<br>
but my lathe buddy has been saying "this weekend" for over a
month. I don't have anything bigger than a hand drill at the moment. The
bezel sticks up about 2mm past the face it needs to crimp over, so not
much to work with, and that's with one hand compressing the rubber seal.
<br>
<br>
I tried rolling a big socket over it to simulate the avove motion but I
couldn't get the metal to deform at all. I feel if I use more leverage
like with a tablespoon I'll end up stretching the metal rather than shrinking
it to its smaller circumference. <br>
<br>
I'm sitting on my hands but if we don't get to it this weekend I'm afraid
I'll lose it and end up ruining it. Any ideas on how not to ruin it? :-)<br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
Archive: </font></tt><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><tt><font size="2">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</font></tt></a><tt><font size="2">
</font></tt><a href="http://autox.team.net/archive"><tt><font size="2">http://autox.team.net/archive</font></tt></a><tt><font size="2"><br>
<br>
<br>
</font></tt>
<br></div></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail=_34987FD5-CE89-46E4-AA29-94CD03C1E6B0--

--===============6160492037870820916==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6160492037870820916==--