Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Converting a bubble flare to a bleeder port?

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2024 12:41:42 -0400

Hi Jim.  I don't have a definitive answer, but since you haven't 
gotten any responses I'll take a shot.  Calipers and cylinders I have 
seen seem to have ports that are the same for the line and the 
bleeder.  Sometimes they are even shipped with the bleeder in the 
wrong  port.  I would think that a bleeder that is made to work with 
the European system would work on that splitter.  I would say, just 
try it and see.  If it seals and doesn't leak, great.  You can always 
go back to other less elegant options.  If nothing else, maybe my 
comments here will encourage someone more knowledgeable to respond.

-Steve T.

At 08:01 PM 6/3/2024, Jim Franklin wrote:
>I have a Moto Guzzi that had linked brakes, with the rear pedal 
>operating the rear caliper and one front caliper via a length of 
>tubing. I'm converting it to normal operation so I need to cap off 
>one of the ports on the splitter connected to the rear caliper. From 
>what I've read European braking systems use a bubble flare on their 
>tubing- a one time use flare that crushes to conform to a concave 
>bottomed hole.
>
>I figured I'd plug the unused hole with a bleeder so I can easily 
>remove any air that's in that half of the splitter, but I don't know 
>if a normal conical bleeder will seal against the bottom of the 
>splitter. Does anyone know? The other option is to just cap it off 
>with a bolt and crush washer but it's not as elegant.
>
>thanks,
>jim

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 16:31:27 -0400

Thanks Steve. It worked. I had to crank it down a little, more than a bleeder in a caliper, about the same as compressing a crush washer. 

jim

> On Jun 4, 2024, at 12:41 PM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Jim.  I don't have a definitive answer, but since you haven't gotten any responses I'll take a shot.  Calipers and cylinders I have seen seem to have ports that are the same for the line and the bleeder.  Sometimes they are even shipped with the bleeder in the wrong  port.  I would think that a bleeder that is made to work with the European system would work on that splitter.  I would say, just try it and see.  If it seals and doesn't leak, great.  You can always go back to other less elegant options.  If nothing else, maybe my comments here will encourage someone more knowledgeable to respond.
> 
> -Steve T.
> 
>> I have a Moto Guzzi that had linked brakes, with the rear pedal operating the rear caliper and one front caliper via a length of tubing. I'm converting it to normal operation so I need to cap off one of the ports on the splitter connected to the rear caliper. From what I've read European braking systems use a bubble flare on their tubing- a one time use flare that crushes to conform to a concave bottomed hole.
>> 
>> I figured I'd plug the unused hole with a bleeder so I can easily remove any air that's in that half of the splitter, but I don't know if a normal conical bleeder will seal against the bottom of the splitter. Does anyone know? The other option is to just cap it off with a bolt and crush washer but it's not as elegant.
>> 
>> thanks,
>> jim
> 
> 
> -- 

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 18:30:48 -0400

That's great Jim!  Thanks for letting us know.

-Steve T.

At 04:31 PM 6/11/2024, Jim Franklin wrote:
>Thanks Steve. It worked. I had to crank it down a little, more than 
>a bleeder in a caliper, about the same as compressing a crush washer.
>
>jim

[email-masked]