Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] flood light extension (Steven Trovato)

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 18:41:52 -0500

> On Jun 5, 2024, at 18:16, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>  Yes, but now I think the weight might add up to more than can reasonably be handled without adding some sort of additional support.

How far does it need to be?  Rigid conduit is pretty stiff, I’d think a foot or so would be okay. If it’s possible in your setup, that lamp holder can be mounted on a normal metal box. 

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 17:29:28 +0000

--===============9140099854977006717==
 boundary="--_NmP-04771372912e60cd-Part_1"

----_NmP-04771372912e60cd-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Steve - I just mention for safety/awareness.  I am not an electrician or =
building contractor.

You could probably get away with junctions in the pull box for small wires =
like the light in this case, but if there was ever a problem and an =
insurance inspector determined it was caused by a code violation, they =
could deny the claim.

A home inspector could also question it as part of a home inspection for =
the house buyer when you sell.  I had a buyer of my house in 2009 try and =
negotiate a better price for "code violations" their inspector found.  I =
forwarded them a response from the city building department with code =
references showing their inspector was in error and I was in compliance =
with code.  The sale happened, but it was hassle and a nervous buyer could =
use valid non-code compliance to walk away from a sale.

All my experience is in suburban CA, so it my be different in the nice =
places where others on the list live.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Sent: Jun 5, 2024 8:24 PM
To: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, =
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] flood light extension (Steven Trovato)

Brian, =20

This is just a light on my home/shop.  While I try to do things the right =
way, no one will be inspecting this.  Does code even apply to this?  This =
is essentially a light fixture, not part of structure wiring.  I have seen =
homemade light fixtures like creative artistic chandeliers.  I have also =
seen outdoor lights made of things like old lanterns or the globes from old=
 gas pumps.  I'm not trying to challenge you here, I really don't know =
where the line is drawn. =20

-Steve T

At 08:21 PM 6/5/2024, Brian Kemp wrote:
 boundary=3D"------------V8f0o51C9vHv2V58ybq4bDtm"
Content-Language: en-US

Check local codes.&Acirc;  My city does not allow junctions in pull boxes =
like these.&Acirc;  I had several to change angles or in the middle of long=
 pulls and had to open the cover for the building inspector.

Brian

On 6/5/2024 12:49 AM, Mark Miller wrote:

If the wires aren't long enough you can extend it with a piece of threaded =
conduit and pipe plus a type C conduit body you can make the connection in:=
  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-1-2-in-Rigid-Conduit-Bo=
dy/3389356 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-1-2-in-Rigid-=
Conduit-Body/3389356)=20

Regards,Mark Miller   [email-masked] =
(mailto:[email-masked])=20
Outside my shop I have a typical flood light with two of these:https://www.=
lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-2-25-in-LED-Gray-Switch-Controlled-Floodlight/3=
136837Is there any way to extend the part with the threaded end?  =
Throughsome bad planning, one of the lights is blocked by the =
gutterdownspout.  I would like to extend it out from there.  If =
thewiresneed to be longer I can figure out how to do that.  Whatever I =
dowill have to be suitable for outdoor use.  Moving the downspoutwouldbe =
difficult.  I can also relocate the whole light, but some sort ofextension =
arm would be the quickest and easiest solution of it ispossible.  Thanks.=
-Steve T.=20

[email-masked] =
(mailto:[email-masked])Donate:Suggested annual donation  $12.=
96Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk (http://www.team.=
net/donate.html)Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.=
net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] (http://autox.team.=
net/archive)
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive:  http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk (http://www.team.=
net/pipermail/shop-talk)  http://autox.team.net/archive (http://autox.team.=
net/archive)

[email-masked] (http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/strovato@=
optonline.net)
 (https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=3Dlink&=
amp;utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient)Virus-free.www.=
avast.com (https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_sourc=
e=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient)  =
(#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2)

----_NmP-04771372912e60cd-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12p=
t"><p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Steve - I just mention =
for safety/awareness.&nbsp; I am not an electrician or building contractor.=
</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">You could probably get =
away with junctions in the pull box for small wires like the light in this =
case, but if there was ever a problem and an insurance inspector determined=
 it was caused by a code violation, they could deny the claim.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">A home inspector could =
also question it as part of a home inspection for the house buyer when you =
sell.&nbsp; I had a buyer of my house in 2009 try and negotiate a better =
price for "code violations" their inspector found.&nbsp; I forwarded them a=
 response from the city building department with code references showing =
their inspector was in error and I was in compliance with code.&nbsp; The =
sale happened, but it was hassle and a nervous buyer could use valid =
non-code compliance to walk away from a sale.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">All my experience is in =
suburban CA, so it my be different in the nice places where others on the =
list live.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Brian</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
</div>
<div class=3D"elnk-inline-message-container" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid #aaa; box-sizing: border-box; padding: 10px 0 10px 15px; margin: =
0;">
<p>-----Original Message-----<br>From: Steven Trovato =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Sent: Jun 5, 2024 8:24 PM<br>To: Brian =
Kemp &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] flood light =
extension (Steven Trovato)</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
Brian,&nbsp; <br><br>This is just a light on my home/shop.&nbsp; While I =
try to do things the right way, no one will be inspecting this.&nbsp; Does =
code even apply to this?&nbsp; This is essentially a light fixture, not =
part of structure wiring.&nbsp; I have seen homemade light fixtures like =
creative artistic chandeliers.&nbsp; I have also seen outdoor lights made =
of things like old lanterns or the globes from old gas pumps.&nbsp; I'm not=
 trying to challenge you here, I really don't know where the line is drawn.=
&nbsp; <br><br>-Steve T<br><br>At 08:21 PM 6/5/2024, Brian Kemp wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"cite" cite=3D"">Content-Type: multipart/alternative;<b=
r>&nbsp;boundary=3D"------------V8f0o51C9vHv2V58ybq4bDtm"<br>Content-Langua=
ge: en-US<br><br>Check local codes.=C3=82&nbsp; My city does not allow =
junctions in pull boxes like these.=C3=82&nbsp; I had several to change =
angles or in the middle of long pulls and had to open the cover for the =
building inspector.<br><br>Brian<br><br>On 6/5/2024 12:49 AM, Mark Miller =
wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"cite" cite=3D""><br>If the wires aren't long enough =
you can extend it with a piece of threaded conduit and pipe plus a type C =
conduit body you can make the connection in: <a href=3D"https://www.lowes.=
com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-1-2-in-Rigid-Conduit-Body/3389356"> =
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-1-2-in-Rigid-Conduit-Body=
/3389356</a> <br><br><br><br>
<pre>Regards,

Mark Miller&nbsp;&nbsp; 707-490-5834
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">
[email-masked]</a></pre>
<span style=3D"font-family: Courier New, Courier;"> </span>
<blockquote class=3D"cite" cite=3D""><br>
<pre>Outside my shop I have a typical flood light with two of these:

<a href=3D"https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-2-25-in-LED-Gray-Switch-=
Controlled-Floodlight/3136837">
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Electric-2-25-in-LED-Gray-Switch-Controlled-=
Floodlight/3136837</a>

Is there any way to extend the part with the threaded end?&nbsp; Through
some bad planning, one of the lights is blocked by the gutter
downspout.&nbsp; I would like to extend it out from there.&nbsp; If the
wires
need to be longer I can figure out how to do that.&nbsp; Whatever I do
will have to be suitable for outdoor use.&nbsp; Moving the downspout
would
be difficult.&nbsp; I can also relocate the whole light, but some sort of
extension arm would be the quickest and easiest solution of it is
possible.&nbsp; Thanks.

-Steve T.

&nbsp;

</pre>
</blockquote>
<br><br>
<pre>_______________________________________________

<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Donate:
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">
Archive:
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">
http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/bk13@earthlink.=
net">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
</blockquote>
<br>_______________________________________________<br><br>Shop-talk@autox.=
team.net<br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"> http://www=
.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.=
96<br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"> =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.=
net/archive"> http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: =
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/strovato@optonli=
ne.net"> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/strovato@optonline=
.net</a></blockquote>
<div id=3D"DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br>
<table style=3D"border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style=3D"width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href=3D"https://www.avast.=
com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Ds=
ig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noopener"><img style=3D"width: 46px; height: 29px;" =
src=3D"https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-rou=
nd-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt=3D"" width=3D"46" =
height=3D"29"></a></td>
<td style=3D"width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: =
13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: =
18px;">Virus-free.<a style=3D"color: #4453ea;" href=3D"https://www.avast.=
com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Ds=
ig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient" target=3D"_blank" =
rel=3D"noopener">www.avast.com</a></td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
<a href=3D"#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"> </a></div>
</div>

<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.=
0;">&nbsp;</p>
----_NmP-04771372912e60cd-Part_1--

--===============9140099854977006717==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9140099854977006717==--