Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] automotive connector breakout wires

From: Mark Miller <[email-masked]> 7yQnluWGZqH9rDUhZidlUzcrYFDZC9KJu4vMfhX9FZfuOtEE0Df5QlhuAVHib0g9OpLb4ZJYpbV5dnHaDseeVlbPGJwo280JfYqIqUkCoRASv+7k8mt+QkU8 2MC6/7bg9y6TsBFUfgWdWcZ+AfwglpPq2euXxMMiDgv9xg3A6HF5p0uBLamdKE3Xx9+vU4H8Jjp8OaTEJ3H8gQ==
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 11:25:32 -0700

If the vehicle is common/popular enough to have an online forum for it you could find out what type/brand of pin it is there (or eyeball it and guess) and buy them from digikey.com  They have a very deep selection of connectors, pins, and sockets. Thousands of choices, so it works far easier if you get more info on what you need. Good luck!

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2024 17:54:04 -0400

Right.  But when I'm working, maybe diagnosing or troubleshooting, 
sometimes I think it would be nice to energize a motor or valve or 
something.  Having a collection of wires or pins or whatever makes 
that possible.  I'm really not going to stop, search digikey, pay a 
stupid amount for the item + shipping and then add some more to meet 
the minimum order.  And then I get to stop everything and wait.  I 
would do all of that for a part I need for the repair, but for a 
diagnostic test I'll find another way.  Thanks for your thoughts on 
the matter.

-Steve T.

At 02:25 PM 5/25/2024, Mark Miller wrote:
>If the vehicle is common/popular enough to have an online forum for 
>it you could find out what type/brand of pin it is there (or eyeball 
>it and guess) and buy them from digikey.com  They have a very deep 
>selection of connectors, pins, and sockets. Thousands of choices, so 
>it works far easier if you get more info on what you need. Good luck!
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark Miller   707-490-5834
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 12:52:56 -0500

> diagnostic test I'll find another way.  Thanks for your thoughts on

If you only work on a few vehicles, it might be worth doing it in
advance.  that's especially true if you have something you're planning
on keeping forever, as you'll use it eventually.

I'm firmly in the "nope, not bothering with that." camp, for what it's
worth, and not only because my wife might kill me if I bought more
tools.

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 14:40:41 -0400

Thank you all for your input on automotive connector breakout 
wires.  On a related note, there are selections of pins like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Twidec-Electrical-Terminal-Connector-Non-Insulated/dp/B0CXSW1ZK5/

It says it contains 1/1.5/1.8/2.2/2.8/3.5 mm sizes.  Does anyone know 
what those sizes mean?  How are they measured?  There's a variety of 
shapes and styles, some male and some female.  I'm not sure where I 
would measure to see what I need.  Thanks.

-Steve T.

[email-masked]