Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Stranded by a bad car battery.

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:44:58 +0000

--===============3621619080392959484==
 boundary="--_NmP-736d935d1ee7b6ec-Part_1"

----_NmP-736d935d1ee7b6ec-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My daughter's 2022 Honda HRV battery died while she was listening to music =
waiting for a friend.  She said every light on the dash came on. Tough =
situation trying to help a teenager in college on the other side of the =
country.

The service rep at her local Honda diagnosed the problem as most likely the=
 battery over the phone as did Honda Care service.  Honda Care said they =
couldn't get to her for about 3 hours so she had a friend with a jump =
starter get her going and went to the dealer where they confirmed the =
battery had failed at the 18 month point and replaced it under warranty.  =
>From multiple forums, it turns out that the HRV batteries are likely =
marginal at the start to save money and weight.  She now has her own jump =
box and learned how to use it for when this happens the next time.

I had a 2004 then a 2012 Odyssey and both had batteries fail with almost no=
 warning.  Many current batteries are a case of they don't make them like =
they used to.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwade Reinsch <[email-masked]>
Sent: Jan 9, 2024 10:42 PM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Stranded by a bad car battery.

=20
This afternoon I was sitting in the 2016 Honda Odyssey van waiting for =
granddaughter to finish a theater activity and I went to sleep in the front=
 seat.  Had the radio and inside lights on.  When she finished and came out=
, car would not start.  Completely dead.  Electric seat would not come back=
 to driving position, etc.
=20
Here's the question:  In the old days a weak battery would give notice by =
cranking slowly, etc., before failing.  This is the car I drive regularly =
and it gave NO warning.  Luckily, I could call son-in-law and he came to =
help.  Would not start with good set of booster cables.  Would not start =
with 15 minutes of charging on cables before attempting to start.  So in =
the morning I'll take pickup and tools and pull battery, get a replacement,=
 and move the van home.
=20
Does anyone have a suggestion for identifying a failing battery before =
being stranded?  (Battery is about 4 years old.)
=20
Thanks,
Dwade

----_NmP-736d935d1ee7b6ec-Part_1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div style=3D"color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12p=
t"><p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">My daughter's 2022 =
Honda HRV battery died while she was listening to music waiting for a =
friend.&nbsp; She said every light on the dash came on. Tough situation =
trying to help a teenager in college on the other side of the country.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">The service rep at her =
local Honda diagnosed the problem as most likely the battery over the phone=
 as did Honda Care service.&nbsp; Honda Care said they couldn't get to her =
for about 3 hours so she had a friend with a jump starter get her going and=
 went to the dealer where they confirmed the battery had failed at the 18 =
month point and replaced it under warranty.&nbsp; From multiple forums, it =
turns out that the HRV batteries are likely marginal at the start to save =
money and weight.&nbsp; She now has her own jump box and learned how to use=
 it for when this happens the next time.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">I had a 2004 then a 2012 =
Odyssey and both had batteries fail with almost no warning.&nbsp; Many =
current batteries are a case of they don't make them like they used to.=
</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">Brian</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
</div>
<div class=3D"elnk-inline-message-container" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid #aaa; box-sizing: border-box; padding: 10px 0 10px 15px; margin: =
0;">
<p>-----Original Message-----<br>From: Dwade Reinsch &lt;dreinsch@swbell.=
net&gt;<br>Sent: Jan 9, 2024 10:42 PM<br>To: [email-masked] =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: [Shop-talk] Stranded by a bad =
car battery.</p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.0;">&nbsp;</p>
<div class=3D"ydpba5e1d2eyahoo-style-wrap" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica =
Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">This afternoon I was sitting in the =
2016 Honda Odyssey van waiting for granddaughter to finish a theater =
activity and I went to sleep in the front seat.&nbsp; Had the radio and =
inside lights on.&nbsp; When she finished and came out, car would not start=
.&nbsp; Completely dead.&nbsp; Electric seat would not come back to driving=
 position, etc.</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Here's the question:&nbsp; In the =
old days a weak battery would give notice by cranking slowly, etc., before =
failing.&nbsp; This is the car I drive regularly and it gave NO warning.=
&nbsp; Luckily, I could call son-in-law and he came to help.&nbsp; Would =
not start with good set of booster cables.&nbsp; Would not start with 15 =
minutes of charging on cables before attempting to start.&nbsp; So in the =
morning I'll take pickup and tools and pull battery, get a replacement, and=
 move the van home.</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Does anyone have a suggestion for =
identifying a failing battery before being stranded?&nbsp; (Battery is =
about 4 years old.)</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">&nbsp;</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Thanks,</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Dwade</div>
</div>
</div>

<p style=3D"margin: 0.1rem 0; line-height: 1.=
0;">&nbsp;</p>
----_NmP-736d935d1ee7b6ec-Part_1--

--===============3621619080392959484==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3621619080392959484==--