Subject: [Shop-talk] Tractor Bearing Sizes

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 08:29:29 -0800

Merry Christmas Shoptalkers!

I've pulled the head, pan and pistons from my ancient Ford 851 tractor 
(it was burning and belching oil and, well, it was time). Head actually 
not in bad shape; all but one cyl pass the (liquid) 'leak down' 
test--valves hold solvent in upside-down chambers--but I'll get a valve 
job anyway. Couple rod bearings worn but not bad, one pretty bad and one 
with all babbit(?) gone and copper substrate fragmented (prob would have 
seized in a few more hours). I plan to drop the main caps and, 
hopefully, extract the upper shells without having to pull the crank. 
Cylinder bores smooth but in good shape; I'm thinking ball hone and new 
rings.

My questions:

1: Can I tap the crank's upper bearing shells out, then replace upper 
and lower w/o pulling the crank (not at option)?

2: Since I can't pull the crank, and it's not worth removing and 
grinding/polishing anyway, can I determine what size bearings to 
use--rods too--by just measuring the old bearings and getting an idea if 
they're over/under and, if so, by how much?

All answers appreciated.

Bob
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive