Subject: [Shop-talk] Unwarping an antique tabletop?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:45:46 -0400

I foolishly picked up a "free" 1930s dining table. It has a stunning veneered top and nice fluted double legs with intricate designs on the skirt.

It was free because the PO stored it in his basement and the top warped pretty good, the sides cupping upwards as moisture entered the underside.

I stripped the shellac off the top and laid it face down on the lawn to try and introduce moisture to the top while the sun baked the underside under weight, but it didn't move. I was able to remove the loosened underside veneer (maybe I should have done this before I put it in the sun?) but a few hours of hot steam and clamps wasn't enough to budge things. I don't want to remove the top veneer since I'd prefer a warped top to destroyed veneer. 

It seems I have 2 choices - soak the underside long enough for the entire 1/2" thick solid wood top to get wet and then clamp and dry it, and risk loosening the veneer, or build an environment where the humidity is very low and let the underside dry out well below ambient humidity, pulling the top straight. I'm in MA and it's a very damp summer.

Any thoughts on which is better, and if the latter, how to create this artifical desert?

thanks,
jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 20:17:12 -0400

--===============4117075864180826443==

--0000000000008e3754060158c6b3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If you have fairly unobstructed access to the underside, you can use a
Skill saw or router to cut some grooves 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness of the
table's top (especially in areas of the most warpage) and then add some
cleats across the underside to pull the warpage of it.

I wouldn't do this to a valuable antique but it is more likely to be
successful than trying to rehydrate/dehydrate warped wood.

EjR

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 7:56=E2=80=AFPM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]=
g> wrote:

> I foolishly picked up a "free" 1930s dining table. It has a stunning
> veneered top and nice fluted double legs with intricate designs on the
> skirt.
>
> It was free because the PO stored it in his basement and the top warped
> pretty good, the sides cupping upwards as moisture entered the underside.
>
> I stripped the shellac off the top and laid it face down on the lawn to
> try and introduce moisture to the top while the sun baked the underside
> under weight, but it didn't move. I was able to remove the loosened
> underside veneer (maybe I should have done this before I put it in the
> sun?) but a few hours of hot steam and clamps wasn't enough to budge
> things. I don't want to remove the top veneer since I'd prefer a warped t=
op
> to destroyed veneer.
>
> It seems I have 2 choices - soak the underside long enough for the entire
> 1/2" thick solid wood top to get wet and then clamp and dry it, and risk
> loosening the veneer, or build an environment where the humidity is very
> low and let the underside dry out well below ambient humidity, pulling th=
e
> top straight. I'm in MA and it's a very damp summer.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000008e3754060158c6b3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">If =
you have fairly unobstructed access to the underside, you can use a Skill s=
aw or router to cut some grooves 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness of the table&#=
39;s top (especially in areas of the most warpage) and then add some cleats=
 across the underside to pull the warpage of it.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"g=
mail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_defau=
lt" style=3D"font-size:large">I wouldn&#39;t do this to a valuable antique =
but it is more likely to be successful than trying to rehydrate/dehydrate w=
arped wood.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:larg=
e"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">EjR=C2=
=A0</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gma=
il_attr">On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 7:56=E2=80=AFPM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I foolishly picked=
 up a &quot;free&quot; 1930s dining table. It has a stunning veneered top a=
nd nice fluted double legs with intricate designs on the skirt.<br>
<br>
It was free because the PO stored it in his basement and the top warped pre=
tty good, the sides cupping upwards as moisture entered the underside.<br>
<br>
I stripped the shellac off the top and laid it face down on the lawn to try=
 and introduce moisture to the top while the sun baked the underside under =
weight, but it didn&#39;t move. I was able to remove the loosened underside=
 veneer (maybe I should have done this before I put it in the sun?) but a f=
ew hours of hot steam and clamps wasn&#39;t enough to budge things. I don&#=
39;t want to remove the top veneer since I&#39;d prefer a warped top to des=
troyed veneer. <br>
<br>
It seems I have 2 choices - soak the underside long enough for the entire 1=
/2&quot; thick solid wood top to get wet and then clamp and dry it, and ris=
k loosening the veneer, or build an environment where the humidity is very =
low and let the underside dry out well below ambient humidity, pulling the =
top straight. I&#39;m in MA and it&#39;s a very damp summer.<br>
<br>
Any thoughts on which is better, and if the latter, how to create this arti=
fical desert?<br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000008e3754060158c6b3--

--===============4117075864180826443==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4117075864180826443==--

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:22:06 GMT

Regarding the artificial desert, I would suggest several handfulls of the desiccant packs tossed in with almost everything manufactured of shipped these days. Then cover with plastic film.

I have a container near my recycle bin that I toss these packs into during the unpacking process.  When I want to use them, I will subject them to low heat for an extended period to recharge or dry them out.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
To: shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Unwarping an antique tabletop?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 19:45:46 -0400

thanks,
jim

[email-masked]

[email-masked]