Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:55:21 -0500

Jim, try an electric knife with a serrated blade. The blade may not be long enough to go all the way through in one pass & almost anything you try will give a rough cut. 

I doubt putting a circular saw blade on backwards would cut through canvas, but it works well on materiel that melts. 

To get a toothed blade to snag less, tightly wrap something around the roll so it is closer to a solid piece & it won’t snag as bad. 

Peace, Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Jun 14, 2023, at 5:37 PM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

I have a friend who has 3 12" diameter rolls of coated canvas she needs to cut into smaller lengths. They tried hand cutting with a toothed blade but the teeth get caught in the canvas threads and tear it. I have a sawzall but I don't know if the blade speed will be fast enough to overcome the pull of the threads. Is there a non-toothed way to cut this? The rolls are 12 feet long now and quite heavy, 2-3 people to lift, so a floor solution would be best. 

thanks,
jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "DArmstrong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:14:33 -0400

What about these?  You may need to contact the suppliers with the specific
applications.

https://www.cutsew.com/km-rsd50-hand-held-electric-fabric-cutter 

https://www.cutsew.com/AS100-Electric-Rotaty-Fabric-Cutter_p_7101.html 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832430166485.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4it
emAdapt

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Jim Franklin
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 6:22 PM
To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?

I have a friend who has 3 12" diameter rolls of coated canvas she needs to
cut into smaller lengths. They tried hand cutting with a toothed blade but
the teeth get caught in the canvas threads and tear it. I have a sawzall but
I don't know if the blade speed will be fast enough to overcome the pull of
the threads. Is there a non-toothed way to cut this? The rolls are 12 feet
long now and quite heavy, 2-3 people to lift, so a floor solution would be
best. 

thanks,
jim

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 16:14:39 -0700

--===============2273914575402138365==

--00000000000058f5a605fe1f1e4c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Cutting fabric, especially canvas, is probably easiest
with a non-toothed blade.  Scissors, or rotary cutter are
common.  Thing is, you'd need something to cut against.
I assume she doesn't want to unroll it?

In that case, I would use the finest blade you can get
for the Sawzall.  Bosch makes a 9 inch 24tpi blade that
might be just fine.  Cutting through a 12 inch diameter
roll would need some planning.

Shannah

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 3:31=E2=80=AFPM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]=
g> wrote:

> I have a friend who has 3 12" diameter rolls of coated canvas she needs t=
o
> cut into smaller lengths. They tried hand cutting with a toothed blade bu=
t
> the teeth get caught in the canvas threads and tear it. I have a sawzall
> but I don't know if the blade speed will be fast enough to overcome the
> pull of the threads. Is there a non-toothed way to cut this? The rolls ar=
e
> 12 feet long now and quite heavy, 2-3 people to lift, so a floor solution
> would be best.
>
> thanks,
> jim
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000058f5a605fe1f1e4c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Cutting fabric, especially canvas, is probably easies=
t</div><div>with a non-toothed blade.=C2=A0 Scissors, or rotary cutter are<=
/div><div>common.=C2=A0 Thing is, you&#39;d need something to cut against.<=
/div><div>I assume she doesn&#39;t want to unroll it?</div><div><br></div><=
div>In that case, I would use the finest blade you can get</div><div>for th=
e Sawzall.=C2=A0 Bosch makes a 9 inch 24tpi blade that</div><div>might be j=
ust fine.=C2=A0 Cutting through a 12 inch diameter</div><div>roll would nee=
d some planning.</div><div><br></div><div>Shannah<br></div></div><br><div c=
lass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 14, =
2023 at 3:31=E2=80=AFPM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwben=
ch.org">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I have a friend who has 3 12&quot; diameter r=
olls of coated canvas she needs to cut into smaller lengths. They tried han=
d cutting with a toothed blade but the teeth get caught in the canvas threa=
ds and tear it. I have a sawzall but I don&#39;t know if the blade speed wi=
ll be fast enough to overcome the pull of the threads. Is there a non-tooth=
ed way to cut this? The rolls are 12 feet long now and quite heavy, 2-3 peo=
ple to lift, so a floor solution would be best. <br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000058f5a605fe1f1e4c--

--===============2273914575402138365==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2273914575402138365==--

---

From: Berry Kercheval <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:41:15 -0700

--===============1619190032562103489==

--0000000000000d423405fe205441
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My first thought was a portable bandsaw, but I have not been able to find a
listing for one with a big enough throat.  (I assume the desire is to carve
slices off the ends of the roll, like slicing a salami, without unrolling
it.)

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 5:18 PM Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 3:31=E2=80=AFPM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.=
org>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who has 3 12" diameter rolls of coated canvas she needs
>> to cut into smaller lengths. They tried hand cutting with a toothed blad=
e
>> but the teeth get caught in the canvas threads and tear it. I have a
>> sawzall but I don't know if the blade speed will be fast enough to overc=
ome
>> the pull of the threads. Is there a non-toothed way to cut this? The rol=
ls
>> are 12 feet long now and quite heavy, 2-3 people to lift, so a floor
>> solution would be best.
>>
>> thanks,
>> jim
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000000d423405fe205441
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">My first thought was a portable bandsaw, but I have not b=
een able to find a listing for one with a big enough throat. =C2=A0(I assum=
e the desire is to carve slices off the ends of the roll, like slicing a sa=
lami, without unrolling it.)</div><div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 5:18 PM Shannah Mi=
ller &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Cutting fab=
ric, especially canvas, is probably easiest</div><div>with a non-toothed bl=
ade.=C2=A0 Scissors, or rotary cutter are</div><div>common.=C2=A0 Thing is,=
 you&#39;d need something to cut against.</div><div>I assume she doesn&#39;=
t want to unroll it?</div><div><br></div><div>In that case, I would use the=
 finest blade you can get</div><div>for the Sawzall.=C2=A0 Bosch makes a 9 =
inch 24tpi blade that</div><div>might be just fine.=C2=A0 Cutting through a=
 12 inch diameter</div><div>roll would need some planning.</div><div><br></=
div><div>Shannah<br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"=
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 3:31=E2=80=AFPM Jim Frank=
lin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">jamesf@=
groupwbench.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" s=
tyle=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:so=
lid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)">I have a friend wh=
o has 3 12&quot; diameter rolls of coated canvas she needs to cut into smal=
ler lengths. They tried hand cutting with a toothed blade but the teeth get=
 caught in the canvas threads and tear it. I have a sawzall but I don&#39;t=
 know if the blade speed will be fast enough to overcome the pull of the th=
reads. Is there a non-toothed way to cut this? The rolls are 12 feet long n=
ow and quite heavy, 2-3 people to lift, so a floor solution would be best. =
<br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--0000000000000d423405fe205441--

--===============1619190032562103489==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1619190032562103489==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 12:12:26 -0400

> On Jun 14, 2023, at 6:35 PM, Donald H Locker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Is the objective to cut the 12ft roll length into shorter rolls, or to
> cut the rolled canvas into shorter 12ft-wide lengths?

Yes, from 12' long down to 4' long.

They tried unrolling and it's many dozens of yards long so that got shut down quickly.

> 
> Assuming the former, the cutting tool must have no teeth but must be
> able to cut through the depth of the roll. A knife at least four feet
> long (to be able to cut the full circumference of the first pass) long
> will be required. Rolling the canvas rolls on the floor while pressing
> the knife on it is the only way I know to achieve a clean cut. The knife
> MUST be sharp and very stiff.
> 
> If the latter, a utility knife is the right answer.

I have never seen a four foot utility knife :-)

An electric turkey carver is my goto for stuff like foam but the canvas is stout and I don't see it working. 

A rotary razor is ideal, but the best I can come up with is a disc grinder which doesn't have the depth. 

Thanks for all the ideas so far.

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:11:12 -0400 06/15/2023 01:11:20 PM, Serialize complete at 06/15/2023 01:11:20 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============8058320471961801646==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 005E685B852589CF_=

I don't know if you are near NJ, but I have 2 massive bandsaws (one wood 
and one metal) with fine tooth blades.  You're welcome to try them.

If not, one crazy idea would be to fill the core so it's solid, and visit 
your local fire department and see if they can use their jaws of life 
cutter on them. 8>)

Moose

From:   Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
To:     Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Date:   06/15/2023 01:00 PM
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?
Sent by:        "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>

They tried unrolling and it's many dozens of yards long so that got shut 
down quickly.

An electric turkey carver is my goto for stuff like foam but the canvas is 
stout and I don't see it working. 

A rotary razor is ideal, but the best I can come up with is a disc grinder 
which doesn't have the depth. 

jim

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--=_alternative 005E685B852589CF_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">I don't know if you are near NJ, but I
have 2 massive bandsaws (one wood and one metal) with fine tooth blades.
&nbsp;You're welcome to try them.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">If not, one crazy idea would be to fill
the core so it's solid, and visit your local fire department and see if
they can use their jaws of life cutter on them. 8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Jim Franklin &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Shop Talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">06/15/2023 01:00 PM</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Re: [Shop-talk]
Cutting canvas rolls?</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Sent by: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;Shop-talk&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><font size=2><br>
<br>
&gt; On Jun 14, 2023, at 6:35 PM, Donald H Locker &lt;[email-masked]&gt;
wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Is the objective to cut the 12ft roll length into shorter rolls, or
to<br>
&gt; cut the rolled canvas into shorter 12ft-wide lengths?<br>
<br>
Yes, from 12' long down to 4' long.<br>
<br>
They tried unrolling and it's many dozens of yards long so that got shut
down quickly.<br>
<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Assuming the former, the cutting tool must have no teeth but must
be<br>
&gt; able to cut through the depth of the roll. A knife at least four feet<br>
&gt; long (to be able to cut the full circumference of the first pass)
long<br>
&gt; will be required. Rolling the canvas rolls on the floor while pressing<br>
&gt; the knife on it is the only way I know to achieve a clean cut. The
knife<br>
&gt; MUST be sharp and very stiff.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; If the latter, a utility knife is the right answer.<br>
<br>
I have never seen a four foot utility knife :-)<br>
<br>
An electric turkey carver is my goto for stuff like foam but the canvas
is stout and I don't see it working. <br>
<br>
A rotary razor is ideal, but the best I can come up with is a disc grinder
which doesn't have the depth. <br>
<br>
Thanks for all the ideas so far.<br>
<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
Archive: </font></tt><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><tt><font size=2>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2>
</font></tt><a href=http://autox.team.net/archive><tt><font size=2>http://autox.team.net/archive</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2><br>
<br>
<br>
</font></tt>
<br>
--=_alternative 005E685B852589CF_=--

--===============8058320471961801646==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8058320471961801646==--

---

From: Donald H Locker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 17:35:36 +0000 s=protonmail3; t=1686850543; x=1687109743; bh=oEdWdupX/R+uLMSPVqfeePwHEHcgTq6h+5ZbxU/AXCo=; h=Date:To:From:Subject:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References: Feedback-ID:From:To:Cc:Date:Subject:Reply-To:Feedback-ID: Message-ID:BIMI-Selector; b=m5zKCGddtMM6Bksrw/5oNV+yhJCZdkdVBKAKwopjJE1RQ9O+jFb1WAnsAzcOS5KGS O8frigsrGk+ZG37bekPVIlUYi1ZoMdPNnVZQdzUf4wAFLNCwZFjyzYo+/CJ20+U+tD Xcs8wbL+9JxhVmR22d6IcDYT4uoKDj/SviYjnMQA5STwK3is1CEXz5fbklOkGWh+vt cJta2Val8XdE5i39pbe+vAEt+XOMULT6SBJxKGNiwHv3TzmcGCnvhvc8UiwwHQrhxX UDb3yAIEqWg0ADtjQ/u7lu0y5EuDOy/LjPmHqMOSWusl4Ay+7LIGm4P2bcayzhObS

Sorry for the previous off-list reply (I didn't realise I hadn't replied
on-list...) and thanks for bring it back.

In any case, have you considered something like a bow saw with the blade
reversed? Or a hacksaw with the blade reversed? It occurred to me that
one needn't roll the roll entirely across the blade; one could roll
partway, move the blade forward (or backward) then roll under the blade
again.

Clearly, I'm thinking still of a toothless solution. These ideas may
also be brainless; just tossing them out!

Best of luck,
Donald.

On 2023-06-15 12:12, Jim Franklin wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:26:21 -0400

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 2:52 PM Donald H Locker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Clearly, I'm thinking still of a toothless solution.

Is it possible to sharpen the back side of a bow saw blade?  Like a big knife?

Likewise, I have no idea if this would work.  But it's fun to think about!
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 21:41:53 -0500

> On Jun 14, 2023, at 17:33, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I have two suggestions: first, sell it, and buy something suitable. Second, there are industrial converters who have the equipment to unroll it, slit to width, and roll it back up. This is a fair l’y common need, but the sewn product industry in the US is pretty dead, so unless you’re in ny or LA, there’s unlikely to be something local. 

  Trying to do this with a saw will be a disaster.   

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:39:34 -0400

--===============8288295701739662702==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_CADED60C-DC78-4890-B55A-B27F56609145"

--Apple-Mail=_CADED60C-DC78-4890-B55A-B27F56609145
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

> On Jun 15, 2023, at 1:35 PM, Donald H Locker <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Sorry for the previous off-list reply (I didn't realise I hadn't =
replied
> on-list...) and thanks for bring it back.

I do wish the list admins would change the default reply-to to be the =
list rather than the individual. To me that's much more in keeping with =
the spirit of the list.=20

>=20
> In any case, have you considered something like a bow saw with the =
blade
> partway, move the blade forward (or backward) then roll under the =
blade
> again.

A bow saw or other saw with hook or skip teeth rather than chipping =
teeth might work...where the concave part of the hook is razor sharp to =
slice rather than chip.=20

Yesterday I saw some long sharp landscaping blades which might work, but =
the people in question (a non-profit maker space) would likely resist =
spending that much $ on a unitasker. We do have a machine shop but none =
of those shop captains have a solution. I've seen lots of videos where =
the roll spins and all manner of things are used to cut it, but we don't =
have a way to spin it so the saw needs to be the moving part. I may give =
a fine toothed sawzall a shot and see how badly it tears the weave. =
There is a cement blade for it, but that's abrasive rather than slicing.=20=

jim

--Apple-Mail=_CADED60C-DC78-4890-B55A-B27F56609145
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Jun 15, 2023, at 1:35 PM, Donald H Locker &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Sorry for the previous off-list =
reply (I didn't realise I hadn't replied</span><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">on-list...) and thanks for bring it back.</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" =
class=3D""></div></blockquote><div><br class=3D""></div>I do wish the =
list admins would change the default reply-to to be the list rather than =
the individual. To me that's much more in keeping with the spirit of the =
list.&nbsp;</div><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">In any case, have you considered something like a bow saw =
with the blade</span><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">reversed? Or a hacksaw with the blade reversed? It occurred =
to me that</span><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none; float: none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">one needn't =
roll the roll entirely across the blade; one could roll</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">partway, move the blade forward =
(or backward) then roll under the blade</span><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">again.</span></div></blockquote><br class=3D""></div><div>A =
bow saw or other saw with hook or skip teeth rather than chipping teeth =
might work...where the concave part of the hook is razor sharp to slice =
rather than chip.&nbsp;</div><div><br class=3D""></div><div>Yesterday I =
saw some long sharp landscaping blades which might work, but the people =
in question (a non-profit maker space) would likely resist spending that =
much $ on a unitasker. We do have a machine shop but none of those shop =
captains have a solution. I've seen lots of videos where the roll spins =
and all manner of things are used to cut it, but we don't have a way to =
spin it so the saw needs to be the moving part. I may give a fine =
toothed sawzall a shot and see how badly it tears the weave. There is a =
cement blade for it, but that's abrasive rather than =
slicing.&nbsp;</div><div><br class=3D""></div><div>jim</div><div><br =
class=3D""></div><div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_CADED60C-DC78-4890-B55A-B27F56609145--

--===============8288295701739662702==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8288295701739662702==--

---

From: Mark Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:26:15 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------3pmvA0yeJz0nKbd095oNzZ2r
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 6/18/23 8:39 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:

> 
> I do wish the list admins would change the default reply-to to be the 
> list rather than the individual. To me that's much more in keeping with 
> the spirit of the list.
>
There is no "default reply-to" for the lists.  That behavior is totally 
dependent on the mail reading program the recipients use.  It depends on 
your mail program.  For me, I use Thunderbird, which gives me the option 
to reply to the sender or reply to the list.

mjb.

--------------3pmvA0yeJz0nKbd095oNzZ2r
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Screenshot from 2023-06-18
 09-21-56.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------3pmvA0yeJz0nKbd095oNzZ2r
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--------------3pmvA0yeJz0nKbd095oNzZ2r--