Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ceiling Paint

From: Karl Vacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 09:44:14 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0231196213003948235==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--1885daacc5934442805457488f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Not a professional painter (not even an enthusiastic one), never stayed in 
a Holiday Inn Express, but...

Plenty of light, with the ability to move lights to see the reflection of 
wet paint, and enough to see the color difference between what's dry and 
what you're doing now.

I use clamp lights - the ones with the big aluminum reflector - and 100W 
equivalent daylight LED bulbs.  Even on a small bedroom I like at least 3 
lights to get light everywhere I want it.

Karl

On May 27, 2023 9:22:52 AM Jim Stone <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I know this isn’t strictly “shop talk” - although I could force the issue 
> and say I will store the leftover paint in my shop - but I am not having 
> any luck Googling the topic and am turning to this group in desperation.  
> We recently added some space to our house and I have a fair amount of new 
> ceilings to paint.  All new drywall has been, or soon will be, primed.  It 
> has been a while since I painted ceilings but I certainly remember how 
> difficult it can be to  know what has and has not been fully covered with 
> white paint over white primer.  Most manufacturers have color-changing 
> ceiling paint - goes on pink, drys white - which would certainly make the 
> job easier.  However, the online reviews of the paint seem to be lower than 
> comparable standard white paint.  Moreover, it looks to be difficult to buy 
> the color-changing paint in 5 gallon buckets and the costs would certainly 
> add up if I have to buy it by the gallon.  It isn’t a huge difference in 
> the overall scheme of things: it would probity cost about $185 to use the 
> color-changing paint vs. $115 for standard paint.  But, I hate to pay more 
> for a lesser product.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts on the use of color-changing 
> ceiling paint?  Is the convenience worth the drawbacks?
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--1885daacc5934442805457488f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto">
<div dir=3D"auto">Not a professional painter (not even an enthusiastic one)=
, never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, but...</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br>=
</div><div dir=3D"auto">Plenty of light, with the ability to move lights to=
 see the reflection of wet paint, and enough to see the color difference be=
tween what's dry and what you're doing now.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></di=
v><div dir=3D"auto">I use clamp lights - the ones with the big aluminum ref=
lector - and 100W equivalent daylight LED bulbs.&nbsp; Even on a small bedr=
oom I like at least 3 lights to get light everywhere I want it.</div><div d=
ir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Karl</div><div dir=3D'auto'><br></d=
iv>
<div id=3D"aqm-original" style=3D"color: black;">
<div dir=3D"auto">On May 27, 2023 9:22:52 AM Jim Stone &lt;1789alpine@gmail=
.com&gt; wrote:</div>
<div><br></div>
<blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0 0 0 0.75=
ex; border-left: 1px solid #808080; padding-left: 0.75ex;">
<div dir=3D"auto">I know this isn=E2=80=99t strictly =E2=80=9Cshop talk=E2=
=80=9D - although I could force the issue and say I will store the leftover=
 paint in my shop - but I am not having any luck Googling the topic and am =
turning to this group in desperation. &nbsp;We recently added some space to=
 our house and I have a fair amount of new ceilings to paint. &nbsp;All new=
 drywall has been, or soon will be, primed. &nbsp;It has been a while since=
 I painted ceilings but I certainly remember how difficult it can be to &nb=
sp;know what has and has not been fully covered with white paint over white=
 primer. &nbsp;Most manufacturers have color-changing ceiling paint - goes =
on pink, drys white - which would certainly make the job easier. &nbsp;Howe=
ver, the online reviews of the paint seem to be lower than comparable stand=
ard white paint. &nbsp;Moreover, it looks to be difficult to buy the color-=
changing paint in 5 gallon buckets and the costs would certainly add up if =
I have to buy it by the gallon. &nbsp;It isn=E2=80=99t a huge difference in=
 the overall scheme of things: it would probity cost about $185 to use the =
color-changing paint vs. $115 for standard paint. &nbsp;But, I hate to pay =
more for a lesser product.</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts on the use =
of color-changing ceiling paint? &nbsp;Is the convenience worth the drawbac=
ks?</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">_______________________________________________</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div>
<div dir=3D"auto">[email-masked]</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://a=
utox.team.net/archive</div>
<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div>
<div dir=3D"auto">Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options=
/shop-talk/[email-masked]</div>
</blockquote>
</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div>
</div></body>
</html>

--1885daacc5934442805457488f--

--===============0231196213003948235==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============0231196213003948235==--

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 11:57:14 -0700

I've thought of color changing paint as a gimmick and just used this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-PLUS-1-gal-52-White-Ceiling-Flat-Interior-Paint-55801/319302149
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-PLUS-5-gal-52-White-Ceiling-Flat-Interior-Paint-55805/319303390

I use one coat painting over old paint in good condition or new drywall 
with good primer.  I used cheap primer once and had to do two coats.  
Have bright light at an angle from behind you and you can see coverage 
pretty well.  I do about a 3x3' area at a time.

Brian

On 5/27/2023 7:21 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
> I know this isn’t strictly “shop talk” - although I could force the issue and say I will store the leftover paint in my shop - but I am not having any luck Googling the topic and am turning to this group in desperation.  We recently added some space to our house and I have a fair amount of new ceilings to paint.  All new drywall has been, or soon will be, primed.  It has been a while since I painted ceilings but I certainly remember how difficult it can be to  know what has and has not been fully covered with white paint over white primer.  Most manufacturers have color-changing ceiling paint - goes on pink, drys white - which would certainly make the job easier.  However, the online reviews of the paint seem to be lower than comparable standard white paint.  Moreover, it looks to be difficult to buy the color-changing paint in 5 gallon buckets and the costs would certainly add up if I have to buy it by the gallon.  It isn’t a huge difference in the overall scheme of things: it would probity cost about $185 to use the color-changing paint vs. $115 for standard paint.  But, I hate to pay more for a lesser product.
>
> Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts on the use of color-changing ceiling paint?  Is the convenience worth the drawbacks?
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]