Subject: [Shop-talk] Odor removal

From: Karl Vacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 18:24:36 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2221331142657967198==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--18753bc859242f62805dc5935c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Some time ago the wax ring went out in our upstairs toilet.  No evidence of 
the failure till I had to get into the plumbing wall below there.  Lovely 
mess of black mold and nasty gunk.  I cleaned everything up with successive 
applications of bleach-based cleaners, but there was still some nasty stuff 
and the copper pipes were green, so I followed up with hydrochloric 
(muriatic) acid.  It's clean, but there's still a lingering stench that 
wasn't there in the first place.  The acid itself did stink badly for a 
couple weeks but I think that's mostly gone now.

I've used Febreeze and an aerosol deodorant, but this needs serious help.

Suggestions?

--18753bc859242f62805dc5935c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto">
Some time ago the wax ring went out in our upstairs toilet.&nbsp; No eviden=
ce of the failure till I had to get into the plumbing wall below there.&nbs=
p; Lovely mess of black mold and nasty gunk.&nbsp; I cleaned everything up =
with successive applications of bleach-based cleaners, but there was still =
some nasty stuff and the copper pipes were green, so I followed up with hyd=
rochloric (muriatic) acid.&nbsp; It's clean, but there's still a lingering =
stench that wasn't there in the first place.&nbsp; The acid itself did stin=
k badly for a couple weeks but I think that's mostly gone now.<div dir=3D"a=
uto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">I've used Febreeze and an aerosol deodoran=
t, but this needs serious help.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=
=3D"auto">Suggestions?&nbsp;</div>
</div></body>
</html>

--18753bc859242f62805dc5935c--

--===============2221331142657967198==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2221331142657967198==--

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 17:02:01 -0500

I had a. fire gut my shop some years ago. I was able to save the wooden shell but it really smelled, even after months Of airing out & smoke abatement fogging.  I decided to try encapsulating the walls with paint & tried both Kilz & Zinzer 1-2-3 primer. The Kilz didn’t do so well, but the 1-2-3 did great. It’s been about 4 years now & I can’t tell that there ever was a fire. 

My point being to try several different products & go with the one that works best.

Peace, Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Apr 6, 2023, at 2:08 PM, Richard George <[email-masked]> wrote:

is it mold odor, or...?  In the past I've had to deal with cat pee damaged walls/floors - what I couldn't cut out I normally used Nature's miracle on for a while (like cover it with plastic so it stays wet) and/or kilzed it to seal the odor in.  I also got to deal with a minor mold issue in my dad's house when we were prepping it for sale.  they would kill the mold with the method du jour, maybe wash that off (not sure on that), seal it with kilz and call it good. As usual, please research this further if this sounds like a possibility - I am not a mold remediator guy or play one on tv, so....

Good Luck,

rkg

(Richard George)

On 4/5/2023 4:24 PM, Karl Vacek wrote:
> Some time ago the wax ring went out in our upstairs toilet.  No evidence of the failure till I had to get into the plumbing wall below there.  Lovely mess of black mold and nasty gunk.  I cleaned everything up with successive applications of bleach-based cleaners, but there was still some nasty stuff and the copper pipes were green, so I followed up with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.  It's clean, but there's still a lingering stench that wasn't there in the first place.  The acid itself did stink badly for a couple weeks but I think that's mostly gone now.
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]