Subject: [Shop-talk] Coast in Neutral -the next great debate

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:15:50 -0500 12/12/2022 10:16:00 AM, Serialize complete at 12/12/2022 10:16:00 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============3700702150574175547==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0053D8A685258916_=

I'm putting this out to the group to get some opinions from the real 
experts here.

If you put a manually car or truck in neutral and release the clutch while 
going down long hills or coming to a stop at a intersection, are you doing 
any damage?

I'm not worried about fuel savings, just is coasting in neutral with the 
clutch release.

Any thoughts?

Moose
--=_alternative 0053D8A685258916_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">I'm putting this out to the group to get
some opinions from the real experts here.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">If you put a manually car or truck in
neutral and release the clutch while going down long hills or coming to
a stop at a intersection, are you doing any damage?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I'm not worried about fuel savings,
just is coasting in neutral with the clutch release.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Any thoughts?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
--=_alternative 0053D8A685258916_=--

--===============3700702150574175547==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3700702150574175547==--

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]> /tQCVTeciPiRKd+r7H+9TXnjjOK4iQKkJOageW5ZsDMiwzqO8vhGNfyGTedRENmKVT83eIoc2WUl1KM7n+1S+gAalevqGuVn63g=
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 21:29:40 -0500

--===============0710544617764586118==
	boundary="=====================_45583039==.ALT"

--=====================_45583039==.ALT

At 10:15 AM 12/12/2022, [email-masked] wrote:

 >I'm putting this out to the group to get some opinions from the 
real experts here.
 >
 >If you put a manually car or truck in neutral and release the 
clutch while going down long
 >hills or coming to a stop at a intersection, are you doing any damage?
 >
 >I'm not worried about fuel savings, just is coasting in neutral 
with the clutch release.

Moose,

As long as you release the clutch, I can't see where you're doing any 
harm.  Most
manual Xmissions are splash lubericated so it's getting the proper 
amound of lub
for the speed.  The engine is getting it's required lub as it is NOT 
connected to the
xmission.

That said, especially going down hill, I don't think it's a good 
idea.  And I've been
told that in a lot of states it's illegal to coast in neutral to 
lights, etc.  The reason
being is you don't necessarily have "positive" control over the 
vechile.  I've done
it many times, and needed to set on the gas and forgot that it was out of gear.
Luckily, as the rpms increased and the speed didn't I realized what 
was wrong and
took my foot off the gas.  But if I had really needed to stomp the 
gas, I would
have been in trouble.

But when I've slowed down conciderably, I do quite often put the car 
in neutral and
release the clutch and coast into the light.

One other point.  Speaking of releasing the clutch, when you pull up 
to a traffic light
or have to stop for any reason, you should put the xmission in 
neutral, let out the
clutch.  Keeping the clutch depress puts  wear on the throwout 
bearing and cause
a premature failure.

John

>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    http://autox.team.net/morgan/
Bricklin:     http://www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_45583039==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 10:15 AM 12/12/2022, [email-masked] wrote:<br><br>
&gt;</font><font size=2>I'm putting this out to the group to get some
opinions from the real experts here.</font><font size=3> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;</font><font size=2>If you put a manually car or truck in neutral and
release the clutch while going down long <br>
</font><font size=3>&gt;</font><font size=2>hills or coming to a stop at
a intersection, are you doing any damage?</font><font size=3> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;</font><font size=2>I'm not worried about fuel savings, just is
coasting in neutral with the clutch release.</font><font size=3>
<br><br>
</font><font size=2>Moose</font><font size=3>,<br><br>
As long as you release the clutch, I can't see where you're doing any
harm.&nbsp; Most<br>
manual Xmissions are splash lubericated so it's getting the proper amound
of lub<br>
for the speed.&nbsp; The engine is getting it's required lub as it is NOT
connected to the<br>
xmission.<br><br>
That said, especially going down hill, I don't think it's a good
idea.&nbsp; And I've been <br>
told that in a lot of states it's illegal to coast in neutral to lights,
etc.&nbsp; The reason<br>
being is you don't necessarily have &quot;positive&quot; control over the
vechile.&nbsp; I've done<br>
it many times, and needed to set on the gas and forgot that it was out of
gear.<br>
Luckily, as the rpms increased and the speed didn't I realized what was
wrong and<br>
took my foot off the gas.&nbsp; But if I had really needed to stomp the
gas, I would <br>
have been in trouble.&nbsp; <br><br>
But when I've slowed down conciderably, I do quite often put the car in
neutral and<br>
release the clutch and coast into the light.<br><br>
One other point.&nbsp; Speaking of releasing the clutch, when you pull up
to a traffic light<br>
or have to stop for any reason, you should put the xmission in neutral,
let out the<br>
clutch.&nbsp; Keeping the clutch depress puts&nbsp; wear on the throwout
bearing and cause<br>
a premature failure.<br><br>
John<br><br>
<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">
_______________________________________________<br><br>
[email-masked]<br>
Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" eudora="autourl">
Archive:
<a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" eudora="autourl">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br><br>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>
</font></blockquote><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://autox.team.net/morgan/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
http://autox.team.net/morgan/</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
http://www.bricklin.org</a></div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_45583039==.ALT--

--===============0710544617764586118==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0710544617764586118==--