Subject: [Shop-talk] Wiring a 230v 50hz heater for U.S. 220v 60hz supply

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 00:29:53 +0200

--===============4873099554540403588==

--000000000000bf4a7205eb92fb3f

Guys,

I'm in France right now. I'd like to buy what amounts to a hot plate here.
The company that makes these sells them all over the world. In France
(where the manufacturer is located) they're about $300. In the U.S.,
they're about $900. A huge chunk of that is just how common they are in
France and uncommon they are in the U.S.--at home they're sold through a
partner licensee.

Anyway, the one I'd buy in France has a French plug on it for 230v 50hz
supply. The specialty retailer offering it says I can replace the plug with
a U.S. 220v plug and it'll work just fine. Either cut it and wire on a
dryer plug or unscrew the plug in the unit and install a dryer plug. This
is also coming from a sales guy.

The electronics are are literally an electric resistance coil sunk in an
iron plate and a thermostat dial, and a light to indicate when it's at
temp. I'm trying to come up with his any of those would change with the
10hz frequency difference.

The U.S. version is at least cosmetically identical, and literally the only
parts aside from the coil are the thermostat dial and light. The function
is the shape of the iron plate--the rest is just a heating blanket. I
wouldn't want to switch it to 120v U.S.--it would take forever to get up to
temp. and to recover during use.

Does it seem reasonable that I can just swap out the cord? Any thoughts?

Thanks fellas.

Scott

--000000000000bf4a7205eb92fb3f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">Guys,<div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;=
m in France right now. I&#39;d like to buy what amounts to a hot plate here=
. The company that makes these sells them all over the world. In France (wh=
ere the manufacturer is located) they&#39;re about $300. In the U.S., they&=
#39;re about $900. A huge chunk of that is just how common they are in Fran=
ce and uncommon they are in the U.S.--at home they&#39;re sold through a pa=
rtner licensee.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Anyway, =
the one I&#39;d buy in France has a French plug on it for 230v 50hz supply.=
 The specialty retailer offering it says I can replace the plug with a U.S.=
 220v plug and it&#39;ll work just fine. Either cut it and wire on a dryer =
plug or unscrew the plug in the unit and install a dryer plug. This is also=
 coming from a sales guy.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto=
">The electronics are are literally an electric resistance coil sunk in an =
iron plate and a thermostat dial, and a light to indicate when it&#39;s at =
temp. I&#39;m trying to come up with his any of those would change with the=
 10hz frequency difference.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"au=
to">The U.S. version is at least cosmetically identical, and literally the =
only parts aside from the coil are the thermostat dial and light. The funct=
ion is the shape of the iron plate--the rest is just a heating blanket. I w=
ouldn&#39;t want to switch it to 120v U.S.--it would take forever to get up=
 to temp. and to recover during use.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div =
dir=3D"auto">Does it seem reasonable that I can just swap out the cord? Any=
 thoughts?</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Thanks fellas=
.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Scott</div></div>

--000000000000bf4a7205eb92fb3f--

--===============4873099554540403588==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============4873099554540403588==--

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 21:29:45 -0700

Years ago I brought back a Raclette machine from France.   It was designed for 50hz and I wired it into a USA 60hz 220v with modified plug and it works fine, still does.  

Now you can buy raclette machines here in the USA but near 20 years ago you could not

 Mike

Sent via rubber ducky

> On Oct 21, 2022, at 20:32, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I can't speak for that unit but a UK friend brought his tea kettle to the US and wired it to fit in a 220v dryer outlet. But he's a EE...
> 
> jim
> 
>> On Oct 21, 2022, at 6:29 PM, Scott Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> Guys,
>> 
>> I'm in France right now. I'd like to buy what amounts to a hot plate here. The company that makes these sells them all over the world. In France (where the manufacturer is located) they're about $300. In the U.S., they're about $900. A huge chunk of that is just how common they are in France and uncommon they are in the U.S.--at home they're sold through a partner licensee.
>> 
>> Anyway, the one I'd buy in France has a French plug on it for 230v 50hz supply. The specialty retailer offering it says I can replace the plug with a U.S. 220v plug and it'll work just fine. Either cut it and wire on a dryer plug or unscrew the plug in the unit and install a dryer plug. This is also coming from a sales guy.
>> 
>> The electronics are are literally an electric resistance coil sunk in an iron plate and a thermostat dial, and a light to indicate when it's at temp. I'm trying to come up with his any of those would change with the 10hz frequency difference.
>> 
>> The U.S. version is at least cosmetically identical, and literally the only parts aside from the coil are the thermostat dial and light. The function is the shape of the iron plate--the rest is just a heating blanket. I wouldn't want to switch it to 120v U.S.--it would take forever to get up to temp. and to recover during use.
>> 
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>> 
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]