Subject: [Shop-talk] palletizing stuff and getting the pallets shipped... help?

From: Richard George <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 11:48:22 -0700

Hi,

I'm dealing with my dad's estate and have a large quantity of stuff 
(tools - ob. shop content) to send across country to get auctioned off.  
I was originally looking at using normal shipping methods (boxes sent at 
a discount via pirate ship), but it turns out the house is confident 
they can deal with far more "stuff" than I had originally envisioned 
(would be 40 or so of those home depot small and medium moving boxes,a 
few banker boxes, etc I think).

I am guessing when one has that much material its probably going to be a 
lot cheaper to palletize it/put them on a truck and ship them to the 
auction house that way rather than trying to ship the boxes 
individually.  The trouble is that I'm not set up to do that.  I don't 
have any pallet jacks, don't exactly have any place to do the wrapping 
(they are all in storage - I suppose I could do it there, but again, no 
pallet jack and while the storage space would let me work there but I 
think getting a truck there might be a cluster, etc).  In addition, 
while I've packed a LOT of stuff for shipment over the years, I haven't 
ever loaded up items on a pallet/wrapped the pallet for shipment so that 
the will make it, actually tried to use a freight company for shipment, 
etc.  And... the times in the past I've dealt with freight companies (on 
the receiving end), it often didn't go well (not so much damage as the 
companies all seemed to do bait and switch on rates, tried to extract 
additional payments they weren't owed, there were issues with actual 
delivery, etc (story of cluster surrounding shipment of fiberglass GT6 
hood omitted)).

So I was hoping to get some advice for a newbie on dealing with this.

Are there services that can handle the palletizing/getting it delivered 
that won't take you to the cleaners/jerk you around on the pricing,etc?  
Is there a "shipping by truck for dummies" tome out there, or...?

Thanks in advance,

rkg

(Richard George)

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]