Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lamp nipple with wire holes?

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 16:45:51 -0500

I Don’t know what it is called either but I found a trip to an old lamp repair shop was a lot of fun! What brought me there was nuts for that central tube, they are not standard!

I’d probably just drill a coupler. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Sep 17, 2022, at 4:41 PM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

I'm rebuilding a desk lamp where the top shade has broken off. The way the lamp is constructed, it has regular lamp nipple bringing the wires up to a 2-bulb "winged" socket unit, and another piece of lamp nipple to sandwich the shade and finial setup. It looks like those two nipples were connected by a coupler that had two holes in it for the wires to exit, and that is what broke. It wasn't a solid coupler that someone had drilled through; it was definitely cast with two...stanchions? connecting the solid threaded parts. Picture a hexagonal castle tower with 2 windows across from each other.  I've looked online for a picture to see what it's called and I'm coming up with nothing. 

Any ideas on a name for this thing so I can find a replacement? The lamp is worth about $5 so if I had a shop I would just drill holes in a coupler, but that amount of effort in my current setup isn't worth it.

thanks,
jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 19:52:23 -0400

Maybe in this category?  https://grandbrass.com/bodies/

Lots more on that site that might be useful

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 5:37 PM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 11:07:44 -0400

--===============3460485380008786035==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_8123AF77-723D-4B74-A78B-8D0D43A73018"

--Apple-Mail=_8123AF77-723D-4B74-A78B-8D0D43A73018
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

That;s a great site (I have a lamp problem like people have drug or =
chocolate problems). The thing I'm looking for is called a hickey. While =
I'm looking for the cast style, I've seen the stamped version more:

https://grandbrass.com/3-8ips-x-3-8ips-stamped-hickey/

Thanks!

jim

> On Sep 17, 2022, at 7:52 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Maybe in this category?  https://grandbrass.com/bodies/ =
<https://grandbrass.com/bodies/>
>=20
>=20
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 5:37 PM Jim Franklin <[email-masked] =
>>=20
>> I'm rebuilding a desk lamp where the top shade has broken off. The =
way the lamp is constructed, it has regular lamp nipple bringing the =
wires up to a 2-bulb "winged" socket unit, and another piece of lamp =
nipple to sandwich the shade and finial setup. It looks like those two =
nipples were connected by a coupler that had two holes in it for the =
wires to exit, and that is what broke. It wasn't a solid coupler that =
someone had drilled through; it was definitely cast with =
two...stanchions? connecting the solid threaded parts. Picture a =
hexagonal castle tower with 2 windows across from each other.  I've =
looked online for a picture to see what it's called and I'm coming up =
with nothing.
>>=20
>> Any ideas on a name for this thing so I can find a replacement? The =
lamp is worth about $5 so if I had a shop I would just drill holes in a =
coupler, but that amount of effort in my current setup isn't worth it.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_8123AF77-723D-4B74-A78B-8D0D43A73018
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">That;s a great site (I have a lamp problem like people have =
drug or chocolate problems). The thing I'm looking for is called a =
hickey. While I'm looking for the cast style, I've seen the stamped =
version more:<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"https://grandbrass.com/3-8ips-x-3-8ips-stamped-hickey/" =
class=3D"">https://grandbrass.com/3-8ips-x-3-8ips-stamped-hickey/</a></div=
><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Thanks!</div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div =
class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Sep 17, 2022, at 7:52 PM, Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
 wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><span=
 style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Maybe in this category? =
&nbsp;</span><a href=3D"https://grandbrass.com/bodies/" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">https://grandbrass.com/bodies/</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Lots more on that site that might be useful</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 5:37 PM =
Jim Franklin &lt;</span><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">&gt; wrote:</span><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br class=3D"">I'm rebuilding a desk =
lamp where the top shade has broken off. The way the lamp is =
constructed, it has regular lamp nipple bringing the wires up to a =
2-bulb "winged" socket unit, and another piece of lamp nipple to =
sandwich the shade and finial setup. It looks like those two nipples =
were connected by a coupler that had two holes in it for the wires to =
exit, and that is what broke. It wasn't a solid coupler that someone had =
drilled through; it was definitely cast with two...stanchions? =
connecting the solid threaded parts. Picture a hexagonal castle tower =
with 2 windows across from each other. &nbsp;I've looked online for a =
picture to see what it's called and I'm coming up with nothing.<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Any ideas on a name for this thing so I can =
find a replacement? The lamp is worth about $5 so if I had a shop I =
would just drill holes in a coupler, but that amount of effort in my =
current setup isn't worth it.<br class=3D""><br class=3D"">thanks,<br =
class=3D"">jim<br =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]=
m" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/fishplate@gmail=
.com</a></blockquote></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_8123AF77-723D-4B74-A78B-8D0D43A73018--

--===============3460485380008786035==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3460485380008786035==--

---

From: Donald H Locker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:58:06 +0000 s=protonmail3; t=1663523890; x=1663783090; bh=uRRXQyKEGQCNwwW0rQydPJ3561NQ0H+zphUn80nS6p0=; h=Date:To:From:Subject:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References: Feedback-ID:From:To:Cc:Date:Subject:Reply-To:Feedback-ID: Message-ID; b=fhG2WW1k0GeXGmxEOEIMcqRkAo12ssPo/+zeoNjP4+T4t3JRH5c0RJbxZImBirhZ+ i0qvSa6oSu6dcXhCFiHtVKpkQHYiFILaI7Ysj7BpvdiiB2afEH5h2D7QpkZuPz1h28 YEs1h5BfQc28Dbd49fw89BzY0/CRSlOK5QafShnNbICKnl+OidsaLWCS1R0uHlsI5v 0cnHCbtb8BxATh3NLVknD8b2OVdoT0q+GaE7JmqyNBS9XTN6u/A3oH/Ok10AUOkny+ 6Kro0J2cmZAqnIxIIBepuv+xs8mL4vAs61JmBKOp5X9Gxk1wu6AQ5McSIJYHdGFJ8K vdJ/fSEaKrYb

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============5141590702711287394==
 boundary="b1_m0H3vO30kTLc3Z5DiKXricE4bV8IrueKqrshx2QRIA"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--b1_m0H3vO30kTLc3Z5DiKXricE4bV8IrueKqrshx2QRIA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--b1_m0H3vO30kTLc3Z5DiKXricE4bV8IrueKqrshx2QRIA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--b1_m0H3vO30kTLc3Z5DiKXricE4bV8IrueKqrshx2QRIA--

--===============5141590702711287394==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5141590702711287394==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 20:56:35 -0400

I remember studying the National Electric Code (wow - 35 years ago
now!) and seeing the mention of hickeys when calculating box capacity.
I never was really sure what one was, but we never got tested on
it...now I know for sure.

-- Jeff

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> That;s a great site (I have a lamp problem like people have drug or chocolate problems). The thing I'm looking for is called a hickey. While I'm looking for the cast style, I've seen the stamped version more:
>
> On Sep 17, 2022, at 7:52 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 21:01:59 -0400

I only glanced at the site the other day, but I'm thinking I could
build some nice lamps for the shop out of parts on this site.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 08:23:02 -0400

Interestingly, a 1/8 and 1/4 hickey were $2, but the 3/8 was $17. I'm pretty sure I need the 3/8, but just saw this on Amazon, which strikes a memory dealing with IPS thread size weirdness:

Question:
Is this item 3/8 IPS?
Answer:
No. It is threaded 1/8IP x 1/8IP, which is 3/8" by 3/8".

jim

> On Sep 18, 2022, at 9:01 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]