Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electronic Parking Brakes

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:52:16 -0500

Have you checked wrecking yards? Or see if you can find a catalytic converter thief who will pull what you need while he’s under a car!

Since the motor is bad, you might try opening it up to see if you can fix it, at least temporarily. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Aug 9, 2022, at 5:46 PM, John T. Blair <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hey gang,

My nephew came over last weekend to work on his 2019 Honda Civic.  He's
getting an "Electronic Parking Brake" error.

I'd never head of such a thing, and electronic parking brake?

I did a little research on youtube and found out what it is, and sure enough
it IS and electronic parking brake!

So I had some idea what to look for and at when he got here.

He'd had someone replace his rear pads for him.  After that, he started
getting the error.   The fellow that did the job said, he didn't know anything
about the electronic parking brakes.  So my thought was that he'd disconnected the connector and hadn't put it back.

Well we were lucky.  After we jacked it up and had it on stands, we pulled
the drivers side first and look at the connector.  It was connected.  So I figured, maybe he hadn't do the manual reset of the motor.  So I pulled the
motor and tried to manually turn the sprocket.  NO go.  After a little more
diagnostics, listening to the motor on the passengers side and hearing the
motor turn when you set and released the brake, and listening to the driver's
side motor and NOT hearing anything, we concluded it was bad.

So I start looking for a replacement part.  No dealer appears to have any as
they are on National Backorder with no expected delivery date.

Unfortunately, the parking brake system is REQUIRED to hold the car for
State Inspection here in VA.  So my nephew can't get his car state inspected.
So technically he shouldn't be driving the car.  But as everyone knows, you
need a car to get to your job.

So any one with a car with an electronic parking brake (EPB)be leary.  I'm
supprised at the cars that have the EPB system.  Most recient Hondas, BMW
Lincolns, etc.

Looks to me like a case where the engineers got carried away with the idea
that electronics don't fail, but mechanical parts do!

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

         48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
    75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                      65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    http://autox.team.net/morgan/
Bricklin:     http://www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
    e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
    In God We Trust
    Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                 oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:01:01 -0500

Did you try the resetting procedure just in case that is the problem or see if the connectors are the same & you can test the motor on the other side, even without having it mounted?

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 

Hey gang,

John

[email-masked]

[email-masked]