Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Car pulls left

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:49:59 -0400

--===============2902518373300732390==
	boundary="=====================_4173323==.ALT"

--=====================_4173323==.ALT

At 09:33 AM 3/24/2022, Jim Franklin wrote:

 >I bought a 2013 Mazda3 in January after an exhaustive search for a wagon with
 >a stick. With only 55k miles, I justified the hugely inflated price 
tag. During the
 >test drive I noticed a shake in the front end as well as a pull to the left.

Jim,

A couple of thoughts:

Did you get a Car Fax on the car.  It almost sounds like it may have 
been in and
accident and not repaired properly.

I believe the Mazda 3 is a front wheel drive car.  Has anyone checked the rear
wheel bearings?  These are usually inexpensive.

I know you had the wheels check, but you can check the wheels for 
true easily.  Jack up the car, and make quick and dirty tool to check 
the wheels, or buy a dial indicator.  Make a pointer, make a little 
stand with a wooden base and vertical stick.
Put a pointer on the stick.  Then slide the pointer to where it just 
touches the rim
and spin the wheel.  Look for a gap to increase/decrease.  If the gap 
is uniform
the wheel is fine, go on to the next one.

 >The local shop swapped front tires L-R and the pull completely went 
away but the
 >shake didn't (shop said rims were bent).

This could mean that a ball joint is bad, or if the car as an upper A 
arm or lower
control arm, the bushings could be bad causing the shake.

 >Because the shake would come and go as I took long but gently sweeping
 >curves,

This could indicate a worn bushing and the suspension is moving under loading.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_4173323==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 09:33 AM 3/24/2022, Jim Franklin wrote:<br><br>
&gt;I bought a 2013 Mazda3 in January after an exhaustive search for a
wagon with<br>
&gt;a stick. With only 55k miles, I justified the hugely inflated price
tag. During the <br>
&gt;test drive I noticed a shake in the front end as well as a pull to
the left. <br><br>
Jim,<br><br>
A couple of thoughts:<br><br>
Did you get a Car Fax on the car.&nbsp; It almost sounds like it may have
been in and<br>
accident and not repaired properly.<br><br>
I believe the Mazda 3 is a front wheel drive car.&nbsp; Has anyone
checked the rear<br>
wheel bearings?&nbsp; These are usually inexpensive.<br><br>
I know you had the wheels check, but you can check the wheels for true
easily.&nbsp; Jack up the car, and make quick and dirty tool to check the
wheels, or buy a dial indicator.&nbsp; Make a pointer, make a little
stand with a wooden base and vertical stick.&nbsp; <br>
Put a pointer on the stick.&nbsp; Then slide the pointer to where it just
touches the rim <br>
and spin the wheel.&nbsp; Look for a gap to increase/decrease.&nbsp; If
the gap is uniform <br>
the wheel is fine, go on to the next one.<br><br>
&gt;The local shop swapped front tires L-R and the pull completely went
away but the <br>
&gt;shake didn't (shop said rims were bent). <br><br>
This could mean that a ball joint is bad, or if the car as an upper A arm
or lower <br>
control arm, the bushings could be bad causing the shake.<br><br>
&gt;Because the shake would come and go as I took long but gently
sweeping <br>
&gt;curves,<br><br>
This could indicate a worn bushing and the suspension is moving under
loading.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_4173323==.ALT--

--===============2902518373300732390==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2902518373300732390==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 16:39:17 -0400 03/24/2022 04:39:19 PM, Serialize complete at 03/24/2022 04:39:19 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============4887196629013633897==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 007175F58525880F_=

Send me the VIN, I'll run a carfax for it.  Might have been in an 
accident.

Moose
--=_alternative 007175F58525880F_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Send me the VIN, I'll run a carfax for
it. &nbsp;Might have been in an accident.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
--=_alternative 007175F58525880F_=--

--===============4887196629013633897==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4887196629013633897==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 07:40:47 -0400

--===============1629003293789009014==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_34570EF8-DA9D-44FB-A4D2-66057E80DC2E"

--Apple-Mail=_34570EF8-DA9D-44FB-A4D2-66057E80DC2E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

> On Mar 24, 2022, at 11:05 PM, David Scheidt <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Take it to a body shop, I'd bet it's been crashed, and poorly =
repaired. =20

Perhaps, however, even if the car was crushed into a ball and unfolded, =
as long as the wheels are in alignment, it shouldn't matter, right? The =
wheels are 4 independent points in space, which the alignment machine =
measures. It's not like things are fine when pointed straight but go to =
hell when I turn the wheel - it's when pointed straight that something =
puts a torque into the steering.=20

What I'm searching for is a way that the alignment numbers would read in =
spec but something is still putting a force on the system.=20

jim=

--Apple-Mail=_34570EF8-DA9D-44FB-A4D2-66057E80DC2E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Mar 24, 2022, at 11:05 PM, David Scheidt &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
 wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><div class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Take it to a body shop, I'd bet it's been crashed, and poorly =
repaired. &nbsp;</div></div></div></blockquote><br =
class=3D""></div><div>Perhaps, however, even if the car was crushed into =
a ball and unfolded, as long as the wheels are in alignment, it =
shouldn't matter, right? The wheels are 4 independent points in space, =
which the alignment machine measures. It's not like things are fine when =
pointed straight but go to hell when I turn the wheel - it's when =
pointed straight that something puts a torque into the =
steering.&nbsp;</div><div><br class=3D""></div><div>What I'm searching =
for is a way that the alignment numbers would read in spec but something =
is still putting a force on the system.&nbsp;</div><div><br =
class=3D""></div><div>jim</div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_34570EF8-DA9D-44FB-A4D2-66057E80DC2E--

--===============1629003293789009014==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1629003293789009014==--

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:24:10 -0400

--===============6539231888208942537==

--000000000000d5bd2e05db0a0ad4

Is there anything on that side that is warm/hot after a long run on the
highway? i.e. Put your hand on the hub and calipers on the left side to see
if they're significantly hotter than on the right. That could point to a
brake hanging up a bit or a wheel bearing that is failing.

It's puzzling to me that the pull would change when you move tires back and
forth.

-Paul

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:41 AM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> On Mar 24, 2022, at 11:05 PM, David Scheidt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>
> Take it to a body shop, I'd bet it's been crashed, and poorly repaired.
>
>
> Perhaps, however, even if the car was crushed into a ball and unfolded, as
> long as the wheels are in alignment, it shouldn't matter, right? The wheels
> are 4 independent points in space, which the alignment machine measures.
> It's not like things are fine when pointed straight but go to hell when I
> turn the wheel - it's when pointed straight that something puts a torque
> into the steering.
>
> What I'm searching for is a way that the alignment numbers would read in
> spec but something is still putting a force on the system.
>
> jim
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000d5bd2e05db0a0ad4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Is there anything on that side that is warm/hot after a lo=
ng run on the highway? i.e. Put your hand on the hub and calipers on the le=
ft side to see if they&#39;re significantly hotter than on the right. That =
could point to a brake hanging up a bit or a wheel bearing that is failing.=
<div><br></div><div>It&#39;s puzzling to me that the pull would change when=
 you move tires back and forth.<br><div><div><br></div><div>-Paul</div></di=
v></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmai=
l_attr">On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:41 AM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blo=
ckquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left=
:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"overflow-wrap: =
break-word;"><br><div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Mar 24, 2022, a=
t 11:05 PM, David Scheidt &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br><div><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:n=
ormal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;tex=
t-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-s=
pacing:0px;text-decoration:none"><div><br></div><div>Take it to a body shop=
, I&#39;d bet it&#39;s been crashed, and poorly repaired. =C2=A0</div></div=
></div></blockquote><br></div><div>Perhaps, however, even if the car was cr=
ushed into a ball and unfolded, as long as the wheels are in alignment, it =
shouldn&#39;t matter, right? The wheels are 4 independent points in space, =
which the alignment machine measures. It&#39;s not like things are fine whe=
n pointed straight but go to hell when I turn the wheel - it&#39;s when poi=
nted straight that something puts a torque into the steering.=C2=A0</div><d=
iv><br></div><div>What I&#39;m searching for is a way that the alignment nu=
mbers would read in spec but something is still putting a force on the syst=
em.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>jim</div></div>_________________________=
______________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000d5bd2e05db0a0ad4--

--===============6539231888208942537==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6539231888208942537==--

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 07:32:53 -0500

--===============4522187131283460026==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-0AA55FB5-F80F-4D81-B6EF-B5A15F45AA58
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I=E2=80=99ve been thinking about that too. I=E2=80=99d check to see if the w=
heels have the same offset, at least in each pair.=20

Peace,
Pat=20

Pat Horne=20
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Mar 25, 2022, at 7:29 AM, Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]> wrote:

=EF=BB=BF
Is there anything on that side that is warm/hot after a long run on the high=
way? i.e. Put your hand on the hub and calipers on the left side to see if t=
hey're significantly hotter than on the right. That could point to a brake h=
anging up a bit or a wheel bearing that is failing.

It's puzzling to me that the pull would change when you move tires back and f=
orth.

-Paul

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 7:41 AM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:=

>> Take it to a body shop, I'd bet it's been crashed, and poorly repaired. =20=

>=20
> Perhaps, however, even if the car was crushed into a ball and unfolded, as=
 long as the wheels are in alignment, it shouldn't matter, right? The wheels=
 are 4 independent points in space, which the alignment machine measures. It=
's not like things are fine when pointed straight but go to hell when I turn=
 the wheel - it's when pointed straight that something puts a torque into th=
e steering.=20
>=20
> What I'm searching for is a way that the alignment numbers would read in s=
pec but something is still putting a force on the system.=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arc=
hive
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/parkan=
[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve

[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-0AA55FB5-F80F-4D81-B6EF-B5A15F45AA58
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">I=E2=80=99ve been thinking about that too. I=
=E2=80=99d check to see if the wheels have the same offset, at least in each=
 pair.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Peace,</div><div>Pat&nbsp;<br><br><div dir=3D=
"ltr">Pat Horne&nbsp;<div>We support Habitat for Humanity</div><div><br></di=
v></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br>On Mar 25, 2022, at 7:29 AM, Paul Parkanzky &lt=
;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div d=
ir=3D"ltr">Is there anything on that side that is warm/hot after a long run o=
n the highway? i.e. Put your hand on the hub and calipers on the left side t=
o see if they're significantly hotter than on the right. That could point to=
 a brake hanging up a bit or a wheel bearing that is failing.<div><br></div>=
<div>It's puzzling to me that the pull would change when you move tires back=
 and forth.<br><div><div><br></div><div>-Paul</div></div></div></div><br><di=
v class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Mar 25=
, 2022 at 7:41 AM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_q=
uote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,20=
4);padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word;"><br><div><br>=
<blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Mar 24, 2022, at 11:05 PM, David Scheidt &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">dmscheidt@gmail.=
com</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br><div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"fon=
t-family:Helvetica;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:normal=
;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;t=
ext-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:none"=
><div><br></div><div>Take it to a body shop, I'd bet it's been crashed, and p=
oorly repaired. &nbsp;</div></div></div></blockquote><br></div><div>Perhaps,=
 however, even if the car was crushed into a ball and unfolded, as long as t=
he wheels are in alignment, it shouldn't matter, right? The wheels are 4 ind=
ependent points in space, which the alignment machine measures. It's not lik=
e things are fine when pointed straight but go to hell when I turn the wheel=
 - it's when pointed straight that something puts a torque into the steering=
.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>What I'm searching for is a way that the al=
ignment numbers would read in spec but something is still putting a force on=
 the system.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>jim</div></div>_________________=
______________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@auto=
x.team.net</a><br>
t=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D=
"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://=
autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
lk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>
<span>_______________________________________________</span><br><span></span=
><br><span>[email-masked]</span><br><span>Donate: http://www.team.=
net/donate.html</span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span=
><br><span>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.tea=
m.net/archive</span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</span><br><span=
></span><br></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-0AA55FB5-F80F-4D81-B6EF-B5A15F45AA58--

--===============4522187131283460026==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4522187131283460026==--

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 09:04:28 -0500

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 9:01 AM David Scheidt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 6:41 AM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Perhaps, however, even if the car was crushed into a ball and unfolded, as long as the wheels are in alignment, it shouldn't matter, right? The wheels are 4 independent points in space, which the alignment machine measures. It's not like things are fine when pointed straight but go to hell when I turn the wheel - it's when pointed straight that something puts a torque into the steering.
> >
> > What I'm searching for is a way that the alignment numbers would read in spec but something is still putting a force on the system.
> >
>
> The alignment rack isn't measuring the relationship of the wheels.
> the left wheels are supposed to be directly to the left of the right
> wheels, and the back wheels directly behind (or a specified offset)
> the front ones.  If you move a front wheel forward or back, the car
> won't go straight, but the alignment can be correct.
>

(forgot to send to the list)

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:43:25 -0400

--===============4609839451203281327==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_A831D5B2-A18B-4A73-93A6-64D5303FBCAC"

--Apple-Mail=_A831D5B2-A18B-4A73-93A6-64D5303FBCAC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

> On Mar 25, 2022, at 10:01 AM, David Scheidt <[email-masked]> =
> won't go straight, but the alignment can be correct.

It's possible my shop doesn't have a modern enough rack so I just went =
out and measured the setback, and it's dead on. Good suggestion though, =
I hadn't thought of that.

jim

--Apple-Mail=_A831D5B2-A18B-4A73-93A6-64D5303FBCAC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Mar 25, 2022, at 10:01 AM, David Scheidt &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
 wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">The alignment rack isn't =
measuring the relationship of the wheels.</span><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">the left wheels are supposed to be directly to the left of =
the right</span><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none; float: none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">wheels, and =
the back wheels directly behind (or a specified offset)</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">the front ones. &nbsp;If you =
move a front wheel forward or back, the car</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">won't go straight, but the =
alignment can be correct.</span><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""></div></blockquote><br =
class=3D""></div><div>It's possible my shop doesn't have a modern enough =
rack so I just went out and measured the setback, and it's dead on. Good =
suggestion though, I hadn't thought of that.</div><div><br =
class=3D""></div><div>jim</div><br class=3D""></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_A831D5B2-A18B-4A73-93A6-64D5303FBCAC--

--===============4609839451203281327==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4609839451203281327==--

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:45:10 -0400

--===============3982643171056692282==
	boundary="=====================_12069251==.ALT"

--=====================_12069251==.ALT

At 08:24 AM 3/25/2022, Paul Parkanzky wrote:

 >Is there anything on that side that is warm/hot after a long run on 
the highway?
 > i.e. Put your hand on the hub and calipers on the left side to see 
if they're
 >significantly hotter than on the right. That could point to a brake 
hanging up a bit
 >or a wheel bearing that is failing.

I don't think I'd touch the hub or especially the caliper after a 
drive.  Good way to
get a pretty good burn.  But checking temps is a good idea.  Get an 
Infred Thermometer and check the temps with that:

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

 >It's puzzling to me that the pull would change when you move tires back and

That would indicate a tire or wheel problem.

John

--=====================_12069251==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 08:24 AM 3/25/2022, Paul Parkanzky wrote:<br><br>
&gt;Is there anything on that side that is warm/hot after a long run on
the highway?<br>
&gt; i.e. Put your hand on the hub and calipers on the left side to see
if they're <br>
&gt;significantly hotter than on the right. That could point to a brake
hanging up a bit <br>
&gt;or a wheel bearing that is failing.<br><br>
I don't think I'd touch the hub or especially the caliper after a
drive.&nbsp; Good way to<br>
get a pretty good burn.&nbsp; But checking temps is a good idea.&nbsp;
Get an Infred Thermometer and check the temps with that:<br><br>
<a href="https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html" eudora="autourl">
https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html<br>
<br>
</a>&gt;It's puzzling to me that the pull would change when you move
tires back and <br>
&gt;forth.<br><br>
That would indicate a tire or wheel problem.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_12069251==.ALT--

--===============3982643171056692282==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3982643171056692282==--