Subject: [Shop-talk] Bear proof bird feeder.

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:29:08 -0400

I have a bird feeder on a post made out of galvanized iron pipe. Bear 
keeps bending it to the ground and I keep bending it back. Tired of this 
routine so I plan on making a bear/squirrel proof bird feeder.  I 
ordered a 7.5'x3" aluminized steel 16 gauge exhaust pipe (required shop 
content for this post).  I'll dig down about a foot to bedrock.  Cement 
the pipe to the bedrock and fill the pipe with cement, kinda like a 
lolly column.  I'm pretty sure this will be strong enough to resist the 
bear, unless he brings his brother, and thick enough that the squirrels 
can't climb it.

On top of this I plan to make and weld a bid feeder but not sure what 
thickness of steel to used.  Once complete I'll paint paint auto paint.  
Any insights?  Thanx

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 17:50:25 -0700

Consider letting them bend it as they wish.  Weld a large spring 
(perhaps a garage door spring, a car suspension spring, something easy 
to find and heavy) and let them bend it as they wish. When they are done 
it will return to vertical undamaged.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
[email-masked]

On 3/31/2022 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I have a bird feeder on a post made out of galvanized iron pipe. Bear keeps bending it to the ground and I keep bending it back. Tired of this routine so I plan on making a bear/squirrel proof bird feeder.? I ordered a 7.5'x3" aluminized steel 16 gauge exhaust pipe (required shop content for this post).? I'll dig down about a foot to bedrock.? Cement the pipe to the bedrock and fill the pipe with cement, kinda like a lolly column.? I'm pretty sure this will be strong enough to resist the bear, unless he brings his brother, and thick enough that the squirrels can't climb it.
>
> On top of this I plan to make and weld a bid feeder but not sure what thickness of steel to used.? Once complete I'll paint paint auto paint. Any insights?? Thanx
>
>

[email-masked]