Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>2903e8d5c8f:6.0.425,18.0.790,17.0.607.475.0000000 definitions=2021-11-10_13:2021-11-08_01,2021-11-10_13,2020-04-07_01 signatures=0mlxscore=0 suspectscore=0 malwarescore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 phishscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.12.0-2009150000 definitions=main-2111110000
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 18:50:58 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3208160695361538536==
 boundary="------------ej6y809Wn3zbFEeh8LwIzX4X"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------ej6y809Wn3zbFEeh8LwIzX4X
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Eric, there is a device that is used mainly in telecom/networking that 
will help you find the problem. Check out the Klein vdv500-820. It's in 
the $65 range, but there are cheaper ones down below $20 from china. The 
Klein unit usually has a stronger signal than the Chinese units but 
since you probably won't have much use for it in the future, so the 
cheaper ones may be fine for you. There are two alligator clips on it. 
Make sure all the cargo lights are off & connect one clip to the wire 
that is dead & the other one to ground. You should be able to follow the 
wire back to the problem. For the tone generator to work well, the 
circuit needs to have no load on the circuit. By this I mean all the 
lights & other loads like the TPMS booster need to be disconnected. The 
cable tester contains a continuity tester mode so you can verify that 
all the loads have been removed.

Do a search for the Klein unit on Amazon. There is a video there that 
shows how the unit is used, but not in depth.

How are you verifying that the fuses are good? If you are just looking 
at them, they may still be bad or making a poor connection. Use a volt 
meter & measure voltage on both ends of the fuses to verify them.

I can walk you through the troubleshooting if you need help.

Peace,

Pat

On 11/10/2021 6:15 PM, Eric Russell wrote:
> Oh wise & beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run into a situation that has 
> me stymied. I need help locating a blown fuse in a motorhome.
>
> We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing the signal 
> booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I 
> accidentally shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay lights. There was a 
> small spark (followed by a few swear words). I then went on a hunt for 
> the blown fuse. There are three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in 
> the Ford chassis (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near 
> the parking brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power 
> converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.
>
> I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been quite 
> responsive & has tried to help. After asking for my vehicle's VIN they 
> emailed me some schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more a map 
> showing the general location of outlets, switches, etc with 
> indications of which circuit they belong to). There are two schematics 
> that appear to apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights 
> are connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another 
> indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V panel. Neither 
> of those fuses are blown. While there I checked all the fuses I could 
> locate - none were blown. I've also signed up to a couple of motorhome 
> forums but have not been able to find an answer there.
>
> Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can use to trace 
> where a circuit originates? I've seen an electrician use a device to 
> find out what outlet goes to which breaker in our house.
>
> I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back to where it 
> enters a wire harness along the motorhome's frame rail. I'm loath to 
> rip open the wire harness trying to chase the wire further upstream. 
> As far as I can tell there is nothing else in this circuit - 
> everything else is working properly. Of course I can live without 
> cargo bay lights but it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I 
> know it did before my screw up).
>
> -- 
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
-- 
We support Habitat for Humanity, a hand UP, not a hand OUT

--------------ej6y809Wn3zbFEeh8LwIzX4X
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Eric, there is a device that is used mainly in telecom/networking
      that will help you find the problem. Check out the Klein
      vdv500-820. It's in the $65 range, but there are cheaper ones down
      below $20 from china. The Klein unit usually has a stronger signal
      than the Chinese units but since you probably won't have much use
      for it in the future, so the cheaper ones may be fine for you. 
      There are two alligator clips on it. Make sure all the cargo
      lights are off &amp; connect one clip to the wire that is dead
      &amp; the other one to ground. You should be able to follow the
      wire back to the problem. For the tone generator to work well, the
      circuit needs to have no load on the circuit. By this I mean all
      the lights &amp; other loads like the TPMS booster need to be
      disconnected. The cable tester contains a continuity tester mode
      so you can verify that all the loads have been removed.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Do a search for the Klein unit on Amazon. There is a video there
      that shows how the unit is used, but not in depth.</p>
    <p>How are you verifying that the fuses are good? If you are just
      looking at them, they may still be bad or making a poor
      connection. Use a volt meter &amp; measure voltage on both ends of
      the fuses to verify them.<br>
    </p>
    <p>I can walk you through the troubleshooting if you need help.</p>
    <p>Peace,</p>
    <p>Pat<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/10/2021 6:15 PM, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome. 
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere. 
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle's VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actual
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there. </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I've seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome's
            frame rail. I'm loath to rip open the wire harness trying to
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up). <br clear="all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"
              data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
              <div dir="ltr">Eric Russell
                <div>Mebane, NC</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
We support Habitat for Humanity, a hand UP, not a hand OUT</pre>
  </body>
</html>
--------------ej6y809Wn3zbFEeh8LwIzX4X--

--===============3208160695361538536==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3208160695361538536==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:11:24 -0500

--===============1027869323962097349==

--0000000000002635a205d07906a3

> How are you verifying that the fuses are good? If you are just looking at
them, they may still be bad or making a poor connection. Use a volt meter &
measure voltage on both ends of the fuses to verify them.

Initially, I just pulled the likely fuses for a visual inspection. When
that came up empty, I used my Horrible Fright ohm meter to confirm
continuity between the two terminals of the fuses. I've swapped in known
good fuses to no avail. I have checked (at least visually) every fuse I can
locate. I am 99% certain there must be another fuse somewhere.  If you have
experience working on motorhomes you'll know anything is possible...

Me no see video - link missing?

> I can walk you through the troubleshooting if you need help.

Yes, please - t y p e    s l o w l y . . .

EjR

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 8:01 PM Pat Horne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Here's a video of using the tool. Since you have only one wire, the other
> clip should go to groud.
>
> Peace,
>
> Pat
> Oh wise & beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run into a situation that has me
> stymied. I need help locating a blown fuse in a motorhome.
>
> booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I accidentally shorted
> a 12V wire in the cargo bay lights. There was a small spark (followed by a
> few swear words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are three
> fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis (F-53) - one under
> the hood and the other inside near the parking brake - plus one in the
> motorhome's 120V - 12V power converter. I could not find a blown fuse
> anywhere.
>
> I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been quite responsive
> & has tried to help. After asking for my vehicle's VIN they emailed me some
> schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more a map showing the general
> location of outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit they
> belong to). There are two schematics that appear to apply to my motorhome -
> one indicates the cargo lights are connected to the Ford panel by the
> parking brake, another indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's
> 12V panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I checked all the
> fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've also signed up to a couple of
> motorhome forums but have not been able to find an answer there.
>
> where a circuit originates? I've seen an electrician use a device to find
> out what outlet goes to which breaker in our house.
>
> enters a wire harness along the motorhome's frame rail. I'm loath to rip
> open the wire harness trying to chase the wire further upstream. As far as
> I can tell there is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is
> working properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but it
> bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did before my screw
> up).
>
> --
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
> --

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--0000000000002635a205d07906a3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">&gt; How are you verifying that the fuses are good? If you=
 are just looking at them, they may still be bad or making a poor connectio=
n. Use a volt meter &amp; measure voltage on both ends of the fuses to veri=
fy them.<p>Initially, I just pulled the likely fuses for a visual inspectio=
n. When that came up empty, I used my Horrible Fright ohm meter to confirm =
continuity between the two terminals of the fuses. I&#39;ve swapped in know=
n good fuses to no avail. I have checked (at least visually) every fuse I c=
an locate. I am 99% certain there must be another fuse somewhere.=C2=A0 If =
you have experience working on motorhomes you&#39;ll know anything is possi=
ble...=C2=A0</p><p>Me no see video - link missing?=C2=A0</p><p>&gt; I can w=
alk you through the troubleshooting if you need help.=C2=A0</p><p>Yes, plea=
se -=C2=A0t y p e=C2=A0 =C2=A0 s l o w l y . . .=C2=A0</p><p>EjR=C2=A0</p><=
/div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">O=
n Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 8:01 PM Pat Horne &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:patintexas@i=
cloud.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    <p>Here&#39;s a video of using the tool. Since you have only one wire,
      the other clip should go to groud.</p>
    <p>Peace,</p>
    <p>Pat<br>
    </p>
    <div>On 11/10/2021 6:15 PM, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"ltr">Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I&#39;ve run
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome.=C2=A0
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally=C2=A0shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome&#39;s 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.=C2=A0
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle&#39;s VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actua=
l
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter&#39;s 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I&#39;v=
e
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there.=C2=A0</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I&#39;ve seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I&#39;ve followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome&#39;s
            frame rail. I&#39;m loath to rip open the wire harness trying t=
o
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up).=C2=A0<br clear=3D"all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir=3D"ltr">
              <div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell
                <div>Mebane, NC</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a>
//www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.tea=
m.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

alk/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/=
options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre cols=3D"72">--=20
We support Habitat for Humanity, a hand UP, not a hand OUT</pre>
  </div>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</di=
v></div></div>

--0000000000002635a205d07906a3--

--===============1027869323962097349==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1027869323962097349==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:13:33 -0500 11/11/2021 07:13:36 AM, Serialize complete at 11/11/2021 07:13:36 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============4443887219217927654==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0043298A8525878A_=

Eric,   There are devices (sometimes called 'tone generators' or similar) 
that are two parts.  One piece you put on the wire, the other creates an 
audible tone as it gets anywhere close to the wire.  You can use this as a 
means to follow the wire.

One other possibility... is it possible that another bulb is burnt out and 
that is acting as a fuse?  Maybe all the fuses are good?  Do you have a 
multimeter to check the wiring?

Just some thoughts.

Moose

From:   Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
To:     Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Date:   11/10/2021 19:18
Subject:        [Shop-talk] Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)
Sent by:        "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>

We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing the signal 
booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I 
accidentally shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay lights. There was a small 
spark (followed by a few swear words). I then went on a hunt for the blown 
fuse. There are three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford 
chassis (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the parking 
brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power converter. I could 
not find a blown fuse anywhere. 

I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been quite responsive 
& has tried to help. After asking for my vehicle's VIN they emailed me 
some schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more a map showing the 
general location of outlets, switches, etc with indications of which 
circuit they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to apply to 
my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are connected to the Ford 
panel by the parking brake, another indicates they are in circuit #6 of 
the converter's 12V panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I 
checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've also signed 
up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not been able to find an 
answer there. 

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk 
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--=_alternative 0043298A8525878A_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Eric, &nbsp; There are devices (sometimes
called 'tone generators' or similar) that are two parts. &nbsp;One piece
you put on the wire, the other creates an audible tone as it gets anywhere
close to the wire. &nbsp;You can use this as a means to follow the wire.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">One other possibility... is it possible
that another bulb is burnt out and that is acting as a fuse? &nbsp;Maybe
all the fuses are good? &nbsp;Do you have a multimeter to check the wiring?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Just some thoughts.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Eric Russell &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Shop Talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">11/10/2021 19:18</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">[Shop-talk]
Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Sent by: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;Shop-talk&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=3>Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run into
a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a blown fuse in a
motorhome.&nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I accidentally&nbsp;shorted
a 12V wire in the cargo bay lights. There was a small spark (followed by
a few swear words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis (F-53) - one
under the hood and the other inside near the parking brake - plus one in
the motorhome's 120V - 12V power converter. I could not find a blown fuse
anywhere.&nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for my vehicle's
VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more
a map showing the general location of outlets, switches, etc with indications
of which circuit they belong to). There are two schematics that appear
to apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are connected
to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another indicates they are in circuit
#6 of the converter's 12V panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While
there I checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've also
signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not been able to find
an answer there.&nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
use to trace where a circuit originates? I've seen an electrician use a
device to find out what outlet goes to which breaker in our house.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome's frame rail. I'm
loath to rip open the wire harness trying to chase the wire further upstream.
As far as I can tell there is nothing else in this circuit - everything
else is working properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights
but it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did before
my screw up).&nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3>-- </font>
<br><font size=3>Eric Russell</font>
<br><font size=3>Mebane, NC</font><tt><font size=2>_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
Archive: </font></tt><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><tt><font size=2>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2>
</font></tt><a href=http://autox.team.net/archive><tt><font size=2>http://autox.team.net/archive</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2><br>
<br>
<br>
</font></tt>
<br>
--=_alternative 0043298A8525878A_=--

--===============4443887219217927654==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4443887219217927654==--

---

From: John <[email-masked]> please include it with any abuse report [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 08:12:22 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1636449206997094578==
 boundary="------------NbamaDLqz2zPxVZd0Xf9jgDN"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------NbamaDLqz2zPxVZd0Xf9jgDN
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

How about a GFCI outlet that has tripped?

On 11/10/2021 7:15 PM, Eric Russell wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
--------------NbamaDLqz2zPxVZd0Xf9jgDN
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <p>How about a GFCI outlet that has tripped?</p>
    <p><br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/10/2021 7:15 PM, Eric Russell

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>
--------------NbamaDLqz2zPxVZd0Xf9jgDN--

--===============1636449206997094578==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1636449206997094578==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 08:57:27 -0500

--===============8952798785573851169==

--0000000000009bfa2105d083b9a4

Thanks for the replies. It may be a week or more before I gather the energy
to search for the fault again. I've already wasted two afternoons and have
other more important things to do (getting ready to go racing in VRG's
Turkey Bowl at Summit Point, WV). The idea of using a tone generating tool
is interesting. Horrible Fright has a $25 version - I may give that a try.

EjR

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM John <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--0000000000009bfa2105d083b9a4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks for the replies. It may be a week or more before I =
gather the energy to search for the fault again. I&#39;ve already wasted tw=
o afternoons and have other more important things to do (getting ready to g=
o racing in VRG&#39;s Turkey Bowl at Summit Point, WV). The idea of using a=
 tone generating tool is interesting. Horrible Fright has a $25 version - I=
 may give that a try.=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>EjR=C2=A0</div><div><br></di=
v></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr=
">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM John &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jbach@swiftrec=
ruiters.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote =
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px sol=
id rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    <p>How about a GFCI outlet that has tripped?</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div>On 11/10/2021 7:15 PM, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"ltr">Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I&#39;ve run
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome.=C2=A0
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally=C2=A0shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome&#39;s 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.=C2=A0
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle&#39;s VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actua=
l
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter&#39;s 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I&#39;v=
e
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there.=C2=A0</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I&#39;ve seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I&#39;ve followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome&#39;s
            frame rail. I&#39;m loath to rip open the wire harness trying t=
o
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up).=C2=A0<br clear=3D"all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir=3D"ltr">
              <div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell
                <div>Mebane, NC</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

alk/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mail=
man/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</di=
v></div></div>

--0000000000009bfa2105d083b9a4--

--===============8952798785573851169==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8952798785573851169==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:51:25 -0500

--===============6624502376426644346==

--0000000000004eab3f05d08b2f6f

So, the blown fuse turned out to be an I-D-10-T issue. When I crawled up
under the hood of the new (to us) motorhome to change the oil (they do not
make this an easy task...) I noticed a box way over on the left side
labeled "Battery Control Center (Fuses Inside)". And buried therein was
fuse # F17 'Cargo Lights'. Which indeed was blown. Maybe Thor (the
motorhome manufacturer) was trying to tell me to check there - but I
clearly described the place I had checked was the Ford "Power Distribution
Box".

EjR

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Eric Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. It may be a week or more before I gather the
> energy to search for the fault again. I've already wasted two afternoons
> and have other more important things to do (getting ready to go racing in
> VRG's Turkey Bowl at Summit Point, WV). The idea of using a tone generating
> tool is interesting. Horrible Fright has a $25 version - I may give that a
> try.
>
> EjR
>
>
>> emailed me some schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more a map showing
>> the general location of outlets, switches, etc with indications of which
>> panel by the parking brake, another indicates they are in circuit #6 of the
>> converter's 12V panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
>> checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've also signed up
>> to a couple of motorhome forums but have not been able to find an answer
>> there.
>>

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--0000000000004eab3f05d08b2f6f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">So, the blown fuse turned out to be an I-D-10-T issue. Whe=
n I crawled up under the hood of the=C2=A0new (to us) motorhome to change t=
he oil (they do not make this an easy task...) I noticed a box way over on =
the left side labeled &quot;Battery Control Center (Fuses Inside)&quot;. An=
d buried therein was fuse # F17 &#39;Cargo Lights&#39;. Which indeed was bl=
own. Maybe Thor (the motorhome manufacturer) was trying to tell me to check=
 there - but I clearly described the place I had checked was the Ford &quot=
;Power Distribution Box&quot;.=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>EjR=C2=A0</div><div=
><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"g=
mail_attr">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Eric Russell &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><bl=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-lef=
t:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks for =
the replies. It may be a week or more before I gather the energy to search =
for the fault again. I&#39;ve already wasted two afternoons and have other =
more important things to do (getting ready to go racing in VRG&#39;s Turkey=
 Bowl at Summit Point, WV). The idea of using a tone generating tool is int=
eresting. Horrible Fright has a $25 version - I may give that a try.=C2=A0<=
div><br></div><div>EjR=C2=A0</div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gm=
ail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:=
12 AM John &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blan=
k">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204=
,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    <p>How about a GFCI outlet that has tripped?</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div>On 11/10/2021 7:15 PM, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"ltr">Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I&#39;ve run
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome.=C2=A0
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally=C2=A0shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome&#39;s 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.=C2=A0
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle&#39;s VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actua=
l
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter&#39;s 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I&#39;v=
e
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there.=C2=A0</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I&#39;ve seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I&#39;ve followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome&#39;s
            frame rail. I&#39;m loath to rip open the wire harness trying t=
o
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up).=C2=A0<br clear=3D"all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir=3D"ltr">
              <div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell
                <div>Mebane, NC</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </div>
><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</div></div></div>

--0000000000004eab3f05d08b2f6f--

--===============6624502376426644346==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6624502376426644346==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:59:50 -0500

--===============3485454819149361414==

--0000000000006e25b105d08b4dbe

Correction - the hidden in plain view fuse was labeled F31. That
designation was never mentioned in any of my emails with Thor or their
schematics. I do not know if this part was installed by Thor or some
aftermarket modification.

EjR

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--0000000000006e25b105d08b4dbe
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Correction - the hidden in plain view fuse was labeled F31=
. That designation was never mentioned in any of my emails with Thor or the=
ir schematics. I do not know if this part was installed by Thor or some aft=
ermarket modification.=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>EjR=C2=A0</div><div><br></d=
iv></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_att=
r">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 5:51 PM Eric Russell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ejrus=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px so=
lid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">So, the blown fuse =
turned out to be an I-D-10-T issue. When I crawled up under the hood of the=
=C2=A0new (to us) motorhome to change the oil (they do not make this an eas=
y task...) I noticed a box way over on the left side labeled &quot;Battery =
Control Center (Fuses Inside)&quot;. And buried therein was fuse # F17 &#39=
;Cargo Lights&#39;. Which indeed was blown. Maybe Thor (the motorhome manuf=
acturer) was trying to tell me to check there - but I clearly described the=
 place I had checked was the Ford &quot;Power Distribution Box&quot;.=C2=A0=
<div><br></div><div>EjR=C2=A0</div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"g=
mail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8=
:57 AM Eric Russell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"=
_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(20=
4,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks for the replies. It ma=
y be a week or more before I gather the energy to search for the fault agai=
n. I&#39;ve already wasted two afternoons and have other more important thi=
ngs to do (getting ready to go racing in VRG&#39;s Turkey Bowl at Summit Po=
int, WV). The idea of using a tone generating tool is interesting. Horrible=
 Fright has a $25 version - I may give that a try.=C2=A0<div><br></div><div=
>EjR=C2=A0</div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div di=
r=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM John &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">jbach@swiftrecr=
uiters.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </div>

--0000000000006e25b105d08b4dbe--

--===============3485454819149361414==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3485454819149361414==--

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 17:25:03 -0600

--===============8711465294370423358==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-0E65249B-42C6-48BE-BBA1-0AD2EC57E1D0
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Good to hear. Now you know of one more fuse box, hope there are no more hidd=
en!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne=20
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Nov 11, 2021, at 4:52 PM, Eric Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:

=EF=BB=BF
So, the blown fuse turned out to be an I-D-10-T issue. When I crawled up und=
er the hood of the new (to us) motorhome to change the oil (they do not make=
 this an easy task...) I noticed a box way over on the left side labeled "Ba=
ttery Control Center (Fuses Inside)". And buried therein was fuse # F17 'Car=
go Lights'. Which indeed was blown. Maybe Thor (the motorhome manufacturer) w=
as trying to tell me to check there - but I clearly described the place I ha=
d checked was the Ford "Power Distribution Box".=20

EjR=20

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Eric Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. It may be a week or more before I gather the energ=
y to search for the fault again. I've already wasted two afternoons and have=
 other more important things to do (getting ready to go racing in VRG's Turk=
ey Bowl at Summit Point, WV). The idea of using a tone generating tool is in=
teresting. Horrible Fright has a $25 version - I may give that a try.=20
> EjR=20
>>> Oh wise & beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run into a situation that has m=
e stymied. I need help locating a blown fuse in a motorhome.=20
>>>=20
>>> We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing the signal b=
ooster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I accidentally shorted a=
 12V wire in the cargo bay lights. There was a small spark (followed by a fe=
w swear words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are three fu=
se panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis (F-53) - one under the h=
ood and the other inside near the parking brake - plus one in the motorhome'=
s 120V - 12V power converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.=20
>>>=20
>>> I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been quite responsi=
ve & has tried to help. After asking for my vehicle's VIN they emailed me so=
me schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more a map showing the general l=
ocation of outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit they bel=
ong to). There are two schematics that appear to apply to my motorhome - one=
 indicates the cargo lights are connected to the Ford panel by the parking b=
rake, another indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V panel.=
 Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I checked all the fuses I cou=
ld locate - none were blown. I've also signed up to a couple of motorhome fo=
rums but have not been able to find an answer there.=20
>>>=20
>>> Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can use to trace wh=
ere a circuit originates? I've seen an electrician use a device to find out w=
hat outlet goes to which breaker in our house.
>>>=20
>>> I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back to where it ent=
ers a wire harness along the motorhome's frame rail. I'm loath to rip open t=
he wire harness trying to chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can t=
ell there is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working prope=
rly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but it bothers my OCD to h=
ave it not working (when I know it did before my screw up).=20
>>> --=20
>>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/a=
rchive
>>>=20
>>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jbac=
[email-masked]
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/ar=
chive
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/ejrus=
[email-masked]
> --=20

--=20
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve

[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-0E65249B-42C6-48BE-BBA1-0AD2EC57E1D0
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Good to hear. Now you know of one more fuse=
 box, hope there are no more hidden!<div><br></div><div>Peace,</div><div>Pat=
<br><br><div dir=3D"ltr">Pat Horne&nbsp;<div>We support Habitat for Humanity=
</div><div><br></div></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br>On Nov 11, 2021, at 4:52 PM,=
 Eric Russell &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div dir=3D"=
ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div dir=3D"ltr">So, the blown fuse turned out to be an I-D-10=
-T issue. When I crawled up under the hood of the&nbsp;new (to us) motorhome=
 to change the oil (they do not make this an easy task...) I noticed a box w=
ay over on the left side labeled "Battery Control Center (Fuses Inside)". An=
d buried therein was fuse # F17 'Cargo Lights'. Which indeed was blown. Mayb=
e Thor (the motorhome manufacturer) was trying to tell me to check there - b=
ut I clearly described the place I had checked was the Ford "Power Distribut=
ion Box".&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>EjR&nbsp;</div><div><br></div></div><br><=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Nov 1=
1, 2021 at 8:57 AM Eric Russell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
>[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204=
);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks for the replies. It may be a wee=
k or more before I gather the energy to search for the fault again. I've alr=
eady wasted two afternoons and have other more important things to do (getti=
ng ready to go racing in VRG's Turkey Bowl at Summit Point, WV). The idea of=
 using a tone generating tool is interesting. Horrible Fright has a $25 vers=
ion - I may give that a try.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>EjR&nbsp;</div><div><b=
r></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail=
_attr">On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM John &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jbach@swif=
trecruiters.com" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<=
br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex=
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div>
    <p>How about a GFCI outlet that has tripped?</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div>On 11/10/2021 7:15 PM, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite">
     =20
      <div dir=3D"ltr">Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome.&nbsp;
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally&nbsp;shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.&nbsp;
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle's VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actual
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there.&nbsp;</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I've seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome's
            frame rail. I'm loath to rip open the wire harness trying to
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up).&nbsp;<br clear=3D"all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir=3D"ltr">
              <div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell
                <div>Mebane, NC</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset></fieldset>
      <pre>_______________________________________________

<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@auto=
x.team.net</a>
/www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" target=3D"_blan=
k">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.=
net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

lk/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailma=
n/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@auto=
x.team.net</a><br>
t=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=3D=
"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://=
autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
lk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr">=
<div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</div></div></div>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr" c=
lass=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</div><=
/div></div>
<span>_______________________________________________</span><br><span></span=
><br><span>[email-masked]</span><br><span>Donate: http://www.team.=
net/donate.html</span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span=
><br><span>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.tea=
m.net/archive</span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</span><br><span=
></span><br></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-0E65249B-42C6-48BE-BBA1-0AD2EC57E1D0--

--===============8711465294370423358==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8711465294370423358==--

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 10:23:56 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5512873674856169092==
 boundary="------------DR0NmltJin8qg8Vgmd0AMh7f"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------DR0NmltJin8qg8Vgmd0AMh7f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Saw this problem was solved, but wanted to add my feedback on a cable 
tracker that others have mentioned.  I have a 5+ year old version from 
Harbor Freight, but it is no longer on their site. This appears to be 
the current version:

https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

I was doing some renovations and had wires in electrical outlook boxes 
that I couldn't identify.  With the power off, I connected the signal 
generator and was able to trace the signal with the wand through the 
plaster walls.  Both went to locations in the wall with no exposed box - 
bad work by someone decades ago.  The plaster walls were a challenge and 
I only got a weak signal, but was able to know it was ok to cap the wires.

I also have about 10 phone jacks in my house, with some shorts in some 
of them.  The phone company installer initially just disconnected 
everything and reconnected only the two I was going to connect.  A few 
years later, I needed to move my DSL modem, so needed to activate a 
different jack.  Connected the signal generator and ran the wand over 
the disconnected wires at the central phone termination to find the one 
I needed to connect.

Brian

On 11/10/2021 4:15 PM, Eric Russell wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------DR0NmltJin8qg8Vgmd0AMh7f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    Saw this problem was solved, but wanted to add my feedback on a
    cable tracker that others have mentioned.  I have a 5+ year old
    version from Harbor Freight, but it is no longer on their site.   
    This appears to be the current version:<br>
    <br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html">https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html</a><br>
    <br>
    I was doing some renovations and had wires in electrical outlook
    boxes that I couldn't identify.  With the power off, I connected the
    signal generator and was able to trace the signal with the wand
    through the plaster walls.  Both went to locations in the wall with
    no exposed box - bad work by someone decades ago.  The plaster walls
    were a challenge and I only got a weak signal, but was able to know
    it was ok to cap the wires.<br>
    <br>
    I also have about 10 phone jacks in my house, with some shorts in
    some of them.  The phone company installer initially just
    disconnected everything and reconnected only the two I was going to
    connect.  A few years later, I needed to move my DSL modem, so
    needed to activate a different jack.  Connected the signal generator
    and ran the wand over the disconnected wires at the central phone
    termination to find the one I needed to connect.<br>
    <br>
    Brian<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/10/2021 4:15 PM, Eric Russell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Oh wise &amp; beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome. 
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere. 
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle's VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actual
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there. </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I've seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome's
            frame rail. I'm loath to rip open the wire harness trying to
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up). <br clear="all">
            <div><br>
            </div>
            -- <br>
            <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature"
              data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
              <div dir="ltr">Eric Russell
                <div>Mebane, NC</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>
--------------DR0NmltJin8qg8Vgmd0AMh7f--

--===============5512873674856169092==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5512873674856169092==--