Subject: [Shop-talk] Heating question (not so much shop related.)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:26:33 -0500 11/24/2021 09:26:34 AM, Serialize complete at 11/24/2021 09:26:34 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============4804246564788793993==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004F55CA85258797_=

OK, this is more of a thought experiment, but here is the back story. 

My house is over 200 years old.  2 years ago I got  vinyl siding and 
better insulation.  REALLY good insulation.
I have programmable thermostats (2 zones, downstairs and upstairs.)
I keep them at about 64 degrees when I'm there.
Turns out, the batteries in the upstairs one went dead and my upstairs 
zone hasn't turned on in over a year.
HOWEVER, I really like how the house is.  The downstairs is as warm as I 
want, and the upstairs is just slightly cooler, but it's perfect for 
sleeping.

My question is, is it more efficient to have the upstairs not run heat? Or 
is the downstairs working much harder to compensate?

I know there are lots of variables, but what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Moose
--=_alternative 004F55CA85258797_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">OK, this is more of a thought experiment,
but here is the back story. &nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">My house is over 200 years old. &nbsp;2
years ago I got &nbsp;vinyl siding and better insulation. &nbsp;REALLY
good insulation.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I have programmable thermostats (2 zones,
downstairs and upstairs.)</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I keep them at about 64 degrees when
I'm there.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Turns out, the batteries in the upstairs
one went dead and my upstairs zone hasn't turned on in over a year.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">HOWEVER, I really like how the house
is. &nbsp;The downstairs is as warm as I want, and the upstairs is just
slightly cooler, but it's perfect for sleeping.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">My question is, is it more efficient
to have the upstairs not run heat? &nbsp;Or is the downstairs working much
harder to compensate?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I know there are lots of variables,
but what do you guys think?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks!</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
--=_alternative 004F55CA85258797_=--

--===============4804246564788793993==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============4804246564788793993==--