Subject: [Shop-talk] Compressor woos

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]> kR46qcIFA/Z9Xvl9blavqCBavRc0KRdh8hcJrjHGUIZW5CvM7Hp+ahqK+2qWQi68F/M447kz+1vFqRipC1Ed8yUCmvlyiLM1dIA=
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 09:23:37 -0400

Hey gang,

I have a Craftsman 5 hp 30 gal compressor that I purchased some time
around '90.  Here are the particulars:

Compressor:  Model 919.176951
                  MO-6436

Motor:        GE Model 5KCR48SR59W
Part #:       C-MO 3013
RPM:	       3450
Volt:          230
Amp:         13.1A
Shaft size:   5/8" or 16mm

SCFM @ 40 PSI	11.3
              90 PSI	 9.3
	   125 PSI	 8.0

Cut In  pressure - 100
Cut Out pressure - 125

The other day I was using my nail gun putting up molding around a window
in my family room.  All of a sudden the nail gun quit nailing.  After checking
the nail gun and not finding anything obviously wrong with it, I went down
into the shop to see if the compressor was on or if I had inadvertently
turned it off (old age, I forget what I just did).  Anyway, the switch on the
compressor was in the ON position, but there was only about 40 psi in the
tank.  I pulled the compressor's plug and stuck in the 220V recepticle, and
was getting a reading of 0V on both legs.  So I go to the circuit breaker
panel and reset the breaker, nothing.  So for some reason the breaker has
bit the dirt.  I pull the breaker and head off the hardware store for a new
breaker.  Put it in and the compressor fires back up, and I finish putting the
trim on the window.

Well the next day, I needed the compressor so I turned it on, and I was
working around the shop.  The compressor came up to pressure and shut
off.  After using the air to clean off the filter on my shop vac, the
compressor went to cut on, but it didn't start.  I could hear a humming.  I
run over the the compressor, but before I can turn it off, it trips the new
breaker.  I pull the saftey shield and try to turn the flywheel to see if the
compressor/motor has frozen.  It moved easily, so both compressor and
motor were OK.  I turn the compressor back on, and it fires up.  After a few
cycles, I hear the humming again.  Again, but the time I can get to it, it
has tripped the breaker.  So there is something wrong with the motor.

Anyone have any ideas?  I was thinking that it is either a bad spot on the
armature, or a bad start capacitor.  If it's the capacitor, why would it start
after I moved the position of the motor a few degrees?

I check with a local shop and they want $200 to put it on their bench!  I
think that's a little steep.  So I guess I'll open it up and shot gun the start
capacitor.  Is there anything else I should l for while I'm in there?

I do plan on cleaning all the parts while it's apart.  I also don't 
see any place
to oil the motor.  So I'm assuming that it has bearings that are lubricated for
live.  Or is there something I should do there, oil, grease?

TIA

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive