Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

From: Karl Vacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 15:20:07 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============5359884178918019273==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000C_01D757C2.C5BBCC50"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01D757C2.C5BBCC50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I had Torx caliper bolts once, as I recall it was on my 94 Mustang.  Maybe
T-55?  First time I had to do brakes I needed a bit for the bolts, so I
found a Snap-On guy (everyone knows that they're the only thing worth buying
and so 5 times the price of regular tools) and paid an atrocious price for a
bit.  Snapped right off, before loosening the first bolt.  Desperate, on a
Sunday, I went to NAPA and bought whatever kind they had on the wall
display, well under $5.00.  Worked just fine, and did several additional
brake jobs on that car over the next few years.  Used it on gas lift struts
on Suburbans too.  Still fine.

Snap-On did give me a new bit, but that involved finding the same guy to
order the bit and then get it.  Took weeks and miles of driving.  It's still
unused, in the drawer next to the one that works.

FWIW, I have great luck with Torx, and only buy Torx construction screws if
I have a choice.  Way less likely to round out than Allen head, and
certainly miles ahead of square drive.  Now Phillips drywall screws and
bits.   Grrrr

Karl

From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2021 7:40 PM
To: Jim Franklin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

That is what I'm looking for, 1/2" drive.  But I'll take anything that
works. 

From:        Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> 
To:        [email-masked] 
Cc:        [email-masked] 
Date:        05/30/2021 10:03 AM 
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets? 

  _____  

One (useful) thing that occurs to me though, have you tried 1/2" drive
instead of 3/8"? 

jim 

On May 30, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote: 

While I've never seen an impact Torx set, I still have the dent in my
forehead from the floor jack handle I was using as leverage on a Torx
bolt...  I don't remember what broke, or much else from that day :-) 

jim 

On May 30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, [email-masked] wrote: 

OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS? 

These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade
screwdrivers.) 

Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it? 

OK, with that off my chest... 

What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  At
this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can use
in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I would
want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first
(it seems to be the most common size.) 

FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25
years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and the
bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth. 

TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste that
broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a darn. 

So, please help me.  What set do I need? 

Thanks. 

Moose._______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01D757C2.C5BBCC50
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* =
{behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#44546A;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>I had Torx caliper bolts once, as I recall it was on my 94 =
Mustang.&nbsp; Maybe T-55?&nbsp; First time I had to do brakes I needed =
a bit for the bolts, so I found a Snap-On guy (everyone knows that =
they&#8217;re the only thing worth buying and so 5 times the price of =
regular tools) and paid an atrocious price for a bit.&nbsp; Snapped =
right off, before loosening the first bolt.&nbsp; Desperate, on a =
Sunday, I went to NAPA and bought whatever kind they had on the wall =
display, well under $5.00.&nbsp; Worked just fine, and did several =
additional brake jobs on that car over the next few years.&nbsp; Used it =
on gas lift struts on Suburbans too.&nbsp; Still =
fine.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Snap-On did give me a new bit, but that involved finding the same guy =
to order the bit and then get it.&nbsp; Took weeks and miles of =
driving.&nbsp; It&#8217;s still unused, in the drawer next to the one =
that works.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>FWIW, I have great luck with Torx, and only buy Torx construction =
screws if I have a choice.&nbsp; Way less likely to round out than Allen =
head, and certainly miles ahead of square drive.&nbsp; Now Phillips =
drywall screws and bits&#8230;&nbsp;&nbsp; Grrrr<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'>Karl<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:#44546=
A'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> =
Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent:</b> Sunday, May 30, 2021 7:40 =
PM<br><b>To:</b> Jim Franklin<br><b>Cc:</b> =
[email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] What's the =
deal with impact torx sockets?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>That is what =
I'm looking for, 1/2&quot; drive. &nbsp;But I'll take anything that =
works.</span> <br><br><br><br><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:#5F5F5F'>=
From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Jim Franklin =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:#5F5F5F'>=
To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>eric@megageek.=
com</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:#5F5F5F'>=
Cc: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Shop-talk@auto=
x.team.net</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:#5F5F5F'>=
Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>05/30/2021 =
10:03 AM</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:#5F5F5F'>=
Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span =
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Re: =
[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?</span> =
<o:p></o:p></p><div class=3DMsoNormal align=3Dcenter =
style=3D'text-align:center'><hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" noshade =
style=3D'color:#A0A0A0' align=3Dcenter></div><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br><br><br>One (useful) thing that =
occurs to me though, have you tried 1/2&quot; drive instead of =
3/8&quot;? <br><br>jim <br><br>On May 30, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Jim Franklin =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote: <br><br>While I've never seen an impact Torx set, I still have =
the dent in my forehead from the floor jack handle I was using as =
leverage on a Torx bolt... &nbsp;I don't remember what broke, or much =
else from that day :-) <br><br>jim <br><br>On May 30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, =
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote: =
<br><br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>OK, first, =
WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>These =
are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade =
screwdrivers.)</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>Then, if =
they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact socket set =
that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>OK, with =
that off my chest...</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>What is =
the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on? &nbsp;At =
this point, price isn't really an issue. &nbsp;I just want a set that I =
can use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time. =
&nbsp;I would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always =
break the T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.)</span> =
<br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>FWIW, my =
first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years =
ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and =
the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>TO THIS =
DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste that =
broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a =
darn.</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>So, =
please help me. &nbsp;What set do I need?</span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>Thanks.</=
span> <br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><br>Moose.</s=
pan>_______________________________________________<br><u><span =
style=3D'color:blue'><br></span></u><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>=
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipe=
rmail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbenc=
h.org">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench=
.org</a><br><br><br>_______________________________________________<br><u=
><span style=3D'color:blue'><br></span></u><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>=
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipe=
rmail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbenc=
h.org">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench=
.org</a><br><br><br><o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000C_01D757C2.C5BBCC50--

--===============5359884178918019273==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============5359884178918019273==--