Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

From: Thomas Coradeschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:31:38 -0400

Interesting question. I’m not personally a fan of impact tools in general, but that’s me.

Have you tried SnapOn, MAC, etc?

—
Tom Coradeschi
[email-masked]

> On 30 May 2021, at 7:17 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS? 
> 
> These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.) 
> 
> Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it? 
> 
> OK, with that off my chest... 
> 
> What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  At this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.) 
> 
> FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth. 
> 
> TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a darn. 
> 
> So, please help me.  What set do I need? 
> 
> Thanks. 
> 
> Moose._______________________________________________
> 
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:46:19 -0400

--===============2165778912218632786==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_99399DEB-787C-4A9B-9EB4-5525300971C1"

--Apple-Mail=_99399DEB-787C-4A9B-9EB4-5525300971C1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

While I've never seen an impact Torx set, I still have the dent in my =
forehead from the floor jack handle I was using as leverage on a Torx =
bolt...  I don't remember what broke, or much else from that day :-)

jim

> On May 30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>=20
> OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?=20
>=20
> These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade =
screwdrivers.)=20
>=20
> Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact =
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?=20
>=20
> OK, with that off my chest...=20
>=20
> What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  =
At this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I =
can use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  =
I would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break =
the T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.)=20
>=20
> FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over =
25 years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina =
and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.=20
>=20
> TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste =
that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a =
darn.=20
>=20
> So, please help me.  What set do I need?=20
>=20
> Thanks.=20
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_99399DEB-787C-4A9B-9EB4-5525300971C1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class="">While I've never seen an impact Torx set, I still have the dent in my forehead from the floor jack handle I was using as leverage on a Torx bolt... &nbsp;I don't remember what broke, or much else from that day :-)<div class=""><br class=""></div><div class="">jim<br class=""><div><br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""><div class="">On May 30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="">[email-masked]</a> wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH
TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">These are the WORST fasteners I have
ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">Then, if they are going to use them,
why can't they make a Torx impact socket set that doesn't twist and brake
the first time you use it?</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">OK, with that off my chest...</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact
sockets that I can rely on? &nbsp;At this point, price isn't really an
issue. &nbsp;I just want a set that I can use in an impact gun and remove
a bolt without breaking every time. &nbsp;I would want a complete set of
sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first (it seems to be the
most common size.)</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">FWIW, my first real injury while turning
wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove
a brake component off of a Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped
my tooth.</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach
for a torx socket, I still taste that broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have not
found a set of torx that are worth a darn.</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">So, please help me. &nbsp;What set do
I need?</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">Thanks.</font>
<br class="">
<br class=""><font size="2" face="sans-serif" class="">Moose.</font>_______________________________________________<br class=""><br class=""><a href="mailto:[email-masked]" class="">[email-masked]</a><br class="">Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br class="">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br class="">Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br class=""><br class="">Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br class=""><br class=""></div></blockquote></div><br class=""></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail=_99399DEB-787C-4A9B-9EB4-5525300971C1--

--===============2165778912218632786==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2165778912218632786==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:03:33 -0400

--===============7620206221399752861==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_8BA50FE2-67F8-460D-8D72-64D596DAD93E"

--Apple-Mail=_8BA50FE2-67F8-460D-8D72-64D596DAD93E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

One (useful) thing that occurs to me though, have you tried 1/2" drive =
instead of 3/8"?=20

jim

> On May 30, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> =
>=20
> jim
>=20
>> On May 30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, [email-masked] =
>>=20
screwdrivers.)=20
>>=20
>> Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx =
impact socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use =
it?=20
>>=20
>> FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx =
over 25 years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a =
Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.=20
>>=20
>> TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still =
taste that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are =
worth a darn.=20

--Apple-Mail=_8BA50FE2-67F8-460D-8D72-64D596DAD93E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">One =
(useful) thing that occurs to me though, have you tried 1/2" drive =
instead of 3/8"?&nbsp;<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite"=
 class=3D""><div class=3D"">On May 30, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Jim Franklin =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">While I've never seen =
an impact Torx set, I still have the dent in my forehead from the floor =
jack handle I was using as leverage on a Torx bolt... &nbsp;I don't =
remember what broke, or much else from that day :-)<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On May =
30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a> wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><font size=3D"2" =
face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH
TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">These are =
the WORST fasteners I have
ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">Then, if =
they are going to use them,
why can't they make a Torx impact socket set that doesn't twist and =
brake
the first time you use it?</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">OK, with =
that off my chest...</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">What is =
the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact
sockets that I can rely on? &nbsp;At this point, price isn't really an
issue. &nbsp;I just want a set that I can use in an impact gun and =
remove
a bolt without breaking every time. &nbsp;I would want a complete set of
sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first (it seems to be =
the
most common size.)</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">FWIW, my =
first real injury while turning
wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove
a brake component off of a Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench =
chipped
my tooth.</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">TO THIS =
DAY, whenever I have to reach
for a torx socket, I still taste that broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have =
not
found a set of torx that are worth a darn.</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" class=3D"">So, =
please help me. &nbsp;What set do
I need?</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" =
class=3D"">Thanks.</font>
<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D""><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif" =
class=3D"">Moose.</font>_______________________________________________<br=
 class=3D""><br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br class=3D"">Suggested =
annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench=
.org" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbe=
nch.org</a><br class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div>_______________________________________________<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_8BA50FE2-67F8-460D-8D72-64D596DAD93E--

--===============7620206221399752861==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7620206221399752861==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 10:12:04 -0400

"WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?"

Umm, because they are exceeding the spec?  The biggest Torx bit I've
ever needed was a T30.  Max torque is around 25 lb-ft.

What the heck are you working on that you're a.) needing an impact?
and b.) snapping bits?  Something doesn't sound normal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 7:18 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 20:39:43 -0400 05/30/2021 08:39:48 PM, Serialize complete at 05/30/2021 08:39:48 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0326461156136233330==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--=_alternative 0003A346852586E6_=

That is what I'm looking for, 1/2" drive.  But I'll take anything that 
works.

From:   Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked]
Cc:     [email-masked]
Date:   05/30/2021 10:03 AM
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

One (useful) thing that occurs to me though, have you tried 1/2" drive 
instead of 3/8"? 

jim

On May 30, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

While I've never seen an impact Torx set, I still have the dent in my 
forehead from the floor jack handle I was using as leverage on a Torx 
bolt...  I don't remember what broke, or much else from that day :-)

jim

These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade 
screwdrivers.) 

Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact 
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it? 

What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  At 
this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can use 
in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I would 
want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 
first (it seems to be the most common size.) 

FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25 
years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and 
the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth. 

TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste 
that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a 
darn. 

Thanks. 

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk 
http://autox.team.net/archive

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk 
http://autox.team.net/archive

--=_alternative 0003A346852586E6_=

<span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">That is what I'm
looking for, 1/2&quot; drive. &nbsp;But I'll take anything that works.</span>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">From:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">Jim
Franklin &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">To:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">[email-masked]</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Cc:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">[email-masked]</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Date:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">05/30/2021
10:03 AM</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Subject:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">Re:
[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?</span>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">One (useful) thing that occurs to me
though, have you tried 1/2&quot; drive instead of 3/8&quot;? </span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">jim</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">On May 30, 2021, at 9:46 AM, Jim Franklin
&lt;</span><a href=mailto:[email-masked]><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u>[email-masked]</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt">&gt;
wrote:</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">While I've never seen an impact Torx
set, I still have the dent in my forehead from the floor jack handle I
was using as leverage on a Torx bolt... &nbsp;I don't remember what broke,
or much else from that day :-)</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">jim</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">On May 30, 2021, at 7:17 AM, </span><a href=mailto:[email-masked]><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u>[email-masked]</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt">
wrote:</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">OK, first, WHY
DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">
<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">
<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">
<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
OK, with that off my chest...</span><span style=" font-size:12pt"> <br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on? &nbsp;At
this point, price isn't really an issue. &nbsp;I just want a set that I
can use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.
&nbsp;I would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always
break the T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.)</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">
<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over
25 years ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina
and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">
<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste
that broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth
a darn.</span><span style=" font-size:12pt"> <br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
So, please help me. &nbsp;What set do I need?</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">
<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
Thanks.</span><span style=" font-size:12pt"> <br>
</span><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
Moose.</span><span style=" font-size:12pt">_______________________________________________<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u><br>
</u></span><a href="mailto:[email-masked]"><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u>[email-masked]</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt"><br>
Archive: </span><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt">
</span><a href=http://autox.team.net/archive><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u>http://autox.team.net/archive</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt"><br>
<br>
</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:12pt">_______________________________________________<br>
</span><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u><br>
</u></span><a href="mailto:[email-masked]"><span style=" font-size:12pt;color:blue"><u>[email-masked]</u></span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt"><br>
Archive: </span><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><span style=" font-size:12pt">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt">
</span><a href=http://autox.team.net/archive><span style=" font-size:12pt">http://autox.team.net/archive</span></a><span style=" font-size:12pt"><br>
<br>
</span>
<br>
<br>
<br>

--=_alternative 0003A346852586E6_=--

--===============0326461156136233330==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0326461156136233330==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 20:41:33 -0400 05/30/2021 08:41:36 PM, Serialize complete at 05/30/2021 08:41:36 PM

--===============1393877562364747549==

--=_alternative 0003CDFB852586E6_=

This particular bold was for a brake line on a 2006 Jeep Tj.

I see these bolts all the time. T40s that are rusted and require an act of 
Dog to remove!

So, there are no  good kits out there?

I am looking at Snap on and mac and such, but I still don't see any.

Thanks.

From:   Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked]
Cc:     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date:   05/30/2021 10:12 AM
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

screwdrivers.)
> FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 
25 years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina 
and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--=_alternative 0003CDFB852586E6_=

<span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">This particular bold
was for a brake line on a 2006 Jeep Tj.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I see these bolts
all the time. T40s that are rusted and require an act of Dog to remove!</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">So, there are
no &nbsp;good kits out there?</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
I am looking at Snap on and mac and such, but I still don't see any.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Thanks.</span>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">From:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">Jeff
Scarbrough &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">To:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">[email-masked]</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Cc:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">&quot;[email-masked]&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Date:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">05/30/2021
10:12 AM</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:9pt;color:#5f5f5f;font-family:sans-serif">Subject:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><span style=" font-size:9pt;font-family:sans-serif">Re:
[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?</span>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">&quot;WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH
TORQUE APPLICATIONS?&quot;<br>
<br>
Umm, because they are exceeding the spec? &nbsp;The biggest Torx bit I've<br>
ever needed was a T30. &nbsp;Max torque is around 25 lb-ft.<br>
<br>
What the heck are you working on that you're a.) needing an impact?<br>
and b.) snapping bits? &nbsp;Something doesn't sound normal.<br>
<br>
</span></tt><a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx</span></tt></a><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt"><br>
<br>
On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 7:18 AM &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; OK, with that off my chest...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?
&nbsp;At this point, price isn't really an issue. &nbsp;I just want a set
that I can use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every
time. &nbsp;I would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always
break the T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx
over 25 years ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove a brake component off of
a Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste
that broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth
a darn.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So, please help me. &nbsp;What set do I need?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Moose._______________________________________________<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; [email-masked]<br>
&gt; Donate: </span></tt><a href=http://www.team.net/donate.html><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">http://www.team.net/donate.html</span></tt></a><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt"><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: </span></tt><a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</span></tt></a><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">
</span></tt><a href=http://autox.team.net/archive><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">http://autox.team.net/archive</span></tt></a><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt"><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: </span></tt><a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]"><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</span></tt></a><tt><span style=" font-size:10pt"><br>
&gt;<br>
</span></tt>
<br>
<br>

--=_alternative 0003CDFB852586E6_=--

--===============1393877562364747549==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1393877562364747549==--

---

From: Thomas Coradeschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 22:34:39 -0400

https://shop.snapon.com/product/TORX-Standard-(Power)%2C-Industrial-(3%2F8%22)/3-8%22-Drive-TORX-T40-Pinless-Power-Socket-Driver/PFTX40E

I would not use an impact wrench on this (it’s 3/8” drive, the smallest 1/2” drive torx they have is T45). Breaker bar and a cheater if needed.

—
Tom Coradeschi
[email-masked]

> On 30 May 2021, at 8:41 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I see these bolts all the time. T40s that are rusted and require an act of Dog to remove! 
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 22:54:18 -0500

> and b.) snapping bits?  Something doesn't sound normal.

Big torx fasteners are used for caliper bolts (t55 is a common size),
seat belt bolts, door hardware, head bolts, truck bed mounting bolts,
and all sorts of stuff.  Some of them are ungodly tight to start with,
and corrosion hasn't made them any easier to remove.  Stuff like seat
belt bolts are usually have loctite as well.  They get used because
torx can transmit more torque than a standard hex bolt, an allen bolt,
or many other head styles.  They're also well suited for automatic
installation methods.

The high torque they can handle is only true when the bit is inserted
properly, full depth, square to the head.  If it's cocked, or not in
all the way, it will strip.  if the fastener head is damaged (someone
used the wrong tool to install it or to attmept to remove it.) you
will have problems too.  You need to make sure the fastener is clean
(spray something in it, and use a pick to pick out the crap), make
sure you use the right size bit, make sure it's installed right (tap
it in with a hammer).  I'm not a big fan of using impact tools to
remove torx bits, but if you do, get ones with the shortest bit
possible (reduces twist, and breaking from that).  Astro sell a nice
set, I think.

Also, make damn sure you don't have torx plus fasteners.

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Donald H Locker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 05:05:19 -0400

The spline drive applies the forces from the applied torque more closely
to tangentially to the radius of the spline. More efficient conversion
of driver torque to fastener torque. The wikipedia article has a pretty
good description.

Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\ <https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>

On 2021-05-30 7:17 a.m., [email-masked] wrote:
> this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can
> use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I
> would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the
> T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.)
> 
> Moose.
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]

utox.team.net

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 10:27:02 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7413887054419978943==
 boundary="------------2B03AA800D8EC308AADA21BC"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------2B03AA800D8EC308AADA21BC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I vote for triple square as the worst based on my experience with my 
wife's VW Jetta rear brake caliper brackets, which you have to remove to 
change the disks.  This is a southern CA car with no corrosion.  I 
bought the correct size Lisle bit from my local auto parts store, but it 
would not seat.  I tried a pick to clean the grooves and even a hammer 
to seat the bit with no luck.  Access is near impossible and these bolts 
are tight.

Ordered a different triple square socket set and that bit fit.  Tip to 
tip, the two bits look identical.  Still difficult to remove the bolts.  
Was able to get enough torque on a 1/2" breaker bar that went to about 
100 degrees while bouncing my 200 pounds.  Could not get a comfortable 
way to use an impact driver without lots of bend on a universal joint.

Brian

On 5/30/2021 4:17 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on? 
>  At this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I 
> can use in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every 
> time.  I would want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I 
> always break the T40 first (it seems to be the most common size.)
>
> 25 years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a 
> Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.
>
> that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth 
> a darn.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------2B03AA800D8EC308AADA21BC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    I vote for triple square as the worst based on my experience with my
    wife's VW Jetta rear brake caliper brackets, which you have to
    remove to change the disks.  This is a southern CA car with no
    corrosion.  I bought the correct size Lisle bit from my local auto
    parts store, but it would not seat.  I tried a pick to clean the
    grooves and even a hammer to seat the bit with no luck.  Access is
    near impossible and these bolts are tight. <br>
    <br>
    Ordered a different triple square socket set and that bit fit.  Tip
    to tip, the two bits look identical.  Still difficult to remove the
    bolts.  Was able to get enough torque on a 1/2" breaker bar that
    went to about 100 degrees while bouncing my 200 pounds.  Could not
    get a comfortable way to use an impact driver without lots of bend
    on a universal joint.<br>
    <br>
    Brian<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/30/2021 4:17 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX
        IN HIGH
        TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">These are the WORST fasteners I
        have
        ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Then, if they are going to use
        them,
        why can't they make a Torx impact socket set that doesn't twist
        and brake
        the first time you use it?</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">OK, with that off my chest...</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx
        impact
        sockets that I can rely on?  At this point, price isn't really
        an
        issue.  I just want a set that I can use in an impact gun and
        remove
        a bolt without breaking every time.  I would want a complete set
        of
        sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first (it seems
        to be the
        most common size.)</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">FWIW, my first real injury while
        turning
        wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years ago.  I was trying to
        remove
        a brake component off of a Lumina and the bit broke, and the
        wrench chipped
        my tooth.</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to
        reach
        for a torx socket, I still taste that broken tooth!  And, I have
        not
        found a set of torx that are worth a darn.</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">So, please help me.  What set do
        I need?</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Thanks.</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Moose.</font>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------2B03AA800D8EC308AADA21BC--

--===============7413887054419978943==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7413887054419978943==--