Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mini-split or window unit ?

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]> boundary="Apple-Mail=_0CE9DF5C-561B-4C24-9352-81118F473126"
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 19:13:58 -0400

--Apple-Mail=_0CE9DF5C-561B-4C24-9352-81118F473126
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

This may be too late, but the Tigers East/Alpines East (TEAE) newsletter =
just came out with an article on how to install a mini-split in a =
garage.  It seemed too spot on not to share, so with the Club=E2=80=99s =
and the author=E2=80=99s permission, I have attached the article in case =
it helps anyone here.

Jim

--Apple-Mail=_0CE9DF5C-561B-4C24-9352-81118F473126
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename="TEAE Mini Split.pdf"
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	name="TEAE Mini Split.pdf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail=_0CE9DF5C-561B-4C24-9352-81118F473126
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

> On Apr 19, 2021, at 7:49 PM, Mike Rambour <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
>  Ok, I want a cooler garage this year.  I have been planning to =
install a mini-split for several years now and this is the year.    =
Power will be a slight problem, shop has plenty but none where I want =
the compressor to go, so have to run some power. Shop has 200amp =
sub-panel 40ft away from where I want to install compressor. Not a big =
deal BUT I saw a 18k btu window unit at Home Depot and was thinking that =
should work great and be half the price.
>=20
>  My shop is 24ft x 40ft so 960 sq. ft. 9ft tall walls of 2x6 filled =
with insulation and I went overboard on ceiling insulation also, stays =
cool until mid-afternnon on hot days then becomes a oven for the =
evening, I live in S. Calif.  I already have a Hot Dawg gas heater so I =
don't need the heat that a mini-split would provide, but might be nice =
to get rid of the Hot Dawg (doubt that I would) and have one unit do =
both.   In the "shop" area of the garage I have barn doors that I welded =
up forever ago, 1x2 steel with a plywood exterior, i have not =
used/opened those doors in over a decade, they were installed when I =
built the shop just so I could get my lathe and mill in easily.   I have =
no windows in the shop so I was thinking I could put this window ac unit =
in one of those barn doors, the frame will easily handle the weight and =
it would be a super easy hole to cut and install the unit into, I think =
even the hinges would handle the weight but I can get stronger bigger =
hinges if I need them.  Then I have dedicated 50amp plug right next to =
that for my TIG to plug the unit into, I weld mostly in the front of the =
shop anyway but I wired every wall with a 50amp for the TIG and 30amp =
for the table saw when I built the shop (I really went overboard on =
wiring).
>=20
>  So what would you do ? mini-split seems to the answer but half the =
price for a easier install window unit and cut a hole in a unused door =
seems like a good idea, good ideas are often the worst...
>=20
>     mike
>=20
> --=20
> A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
> you'll probably never need one again.
>=20
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_0CE9DF5C-561B-4C24-9352-81118F473126
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--Apple-Mail=_0CE9DF5C-561B-4C24-9352-81118F473126--