Subject: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 07:17:39 -0400 05/30/2021 07:17:45 AM, Serialize complete at 05/30/2021 07:17:45 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============6783495114901298635==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 003E0B3C852586E5_=

OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?

These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade 
screwdrivers.)

Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact 
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?

OK, with that off my chest...

What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  At 
this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can use 
in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I would 
want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 
first (it seems to be the most common size.)

FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25 
years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and 
the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.

TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste 
that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a 
darn.

So, please help me.  What set do I need?

Thanks.

Moose.
--=_alternative 003E0B3C852586E5_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH
TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">These are the WORST fasteners I have
ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then, if they are going to use them,
why can't they make a Torx impact socket set that doesn't twist and brake
the first time you use it?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">OK, with that off my chest...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact
sockets that I can rely on? &nbsp;At this point, price isn't really an
issue. &nbsp;I just want a set that I can use in an impact gun and remove
a bolt without breaking every time. &nbsp;I would want a complete set of
sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first (it seems to be the
most common size.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">FWIW, my first real injury while turning
wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove
a brake component off of a Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped
my tooth.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach
for a torx socket, I still taste that broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have not
found a set of torx that are worth a darn.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">So, please help me. &nbsp;What set do
I need?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose.</font>
--=_alternative 003E0B3C852586E5_=--

--===============6783495114901298635==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============6783495114901298635==--