Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air Compressor

From: Karl Vacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 13:01:48 -0500

If they're still actually Quincy, that would be a top unit.  Probably the
best unknit on the market in the 70's through 90's at least.  IR used to be
good too.

Speedaire is whatever Grainger sells - varies by model and probably date.
Campbell Hausfeld used to be consumer junk, but maybe they're better now?.

No idea about Northstar or Belaire.

Eaton in Ohio (family company, NOT the well-known conglomerate Eaton
Corporation) sells decent compressor pumps, Chinese but their design copy
and warrantee.  No idea if they have units in your size.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeff
Scarbrough
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 6:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Compressor

Calling all oracles...

I need to buy a couple of portable compressors for a fairly high-end
use where reliability may be more important than price.  In the ~2 HP,
26-ish gallon range, I have

Speedaire
Belaire
Quincy
Northstar
Campbell Hausfield

Any opinion as to whether I should choose one over the other?

Kobalt may be an option, but the additional paperwork isn't worth the
savings to me.

Jeff Scarbrough
Undisclosed Location, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:16:41 -0700

--===============5795856047014755964==

--0000000000007b814e05c29f8d1e

Hi Jeff,

Well, it is not the exact answer to your question (don't you like it when
folks respond this way) :-), but Saylor-Beall is 100% USA-made, and as good
as they come. They have 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, etc. HP vertical and horizontal
compressors, but their smallest tank for an electric motor is 60 gallon. It
would be the last compressor that you would ever need to buy:

https://www.saylor-beall.com/tank-mounted-vertical/

If the pricing new is too high, they are on eBay used,

But again, the only small tank model they make is a 30 gallon gasoline
powered compressor at the bottom of this list:
https://www.saylor-beall.com/tank-mounted-horizontal/

To actually answer your question, though, among the ones you listed, I
would go with Quincy if their small compressors still are made in the USA.

best,

doug

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Karl Vacek <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000007b814e05c29f8d1e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi Jeff,<div><br></div><div>Well, it is not the exact answ=
er to your=C2=A0question (don&#39;t you like it when folks respond this way=
) :-), but Saylor-Beall is 100% USA-made, and as good as they come. They ha=
ve 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, etc. HP vertical and horizontal compressors, but their sm=
allest tank for an electric motor is 60 gallon. It would be the last compre=
ssor that you would ever need to buy:<div><br></div><div><a href=3D"https:/=
/www.saylor-beall.com/tank-mounted-vertical/">https://www.saylor-beall.com/=
tank-mounted-vertical/</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>If the pricing new =
is too high, they are on eBay used,=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>But agai=
n, the only small tank model they make is a 30 gallon gasoline powered comp=
ressor at the bottom of this list:</div><div><a href=3D"https://www.saylor-=
beall.com/tank-mounted-horizontal/">https://www.saylor-beall.com/tank-mount=
ed-horizontal/</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>To actually answer your que=
stion, though, among the ones you listed, I would go with Quincy if their s=
mall compressors still are made in the USA.</div><div><br></div><div>best,<=
/div><div><br></div><div>doug</div><div><br></div></div></div><br><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, May 18, 202=
1 at 11:05 AM Karl Vacek &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">stear=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" =
style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);pa=
dding-left:1ex">If they&#39;re still actually Quincy, that would be a top u=
nit.=C2=A0 Probably the<br>
best unknit on the market in the 70&#39;s through 90&#39;s at least.=C2=A0 =
IR used to be<br>
good too.<br>
<br>
Speedaire is whatever Grainger sells - varies by model and probably date.<b=
r>
Campbell Hausfeld used to be consumer junk, but maybe they&#39;re better no=
w?.<br>
<br>
No idea about Northstar or Belaire.<br>
<br>
Eaton in Ohio (family company, NOT the well-known conglomerate Eaton<br>
Corporation) sells decent compressor pumps, Chinese but their design copy<b=
r>
and warrantee.=C2=A0 No idea if they have units in your size.<br>
<br>
Karl<br>
<br>
<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Shop-talk [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]"=
 target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>] On Behalf Of Jeff<=
br>
Scarbrough<br>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 6:38 AM<br>
To: <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">shop-talk=
@autox.team.net</a><br>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Compressor<br>
<br>
Calling all oracles...<br>
<br>
I need to buy a couple of portable compressors for a fairly high-end<br>
use where reliability may be more important than price.=C2=A0 In the ~2 HP,=
<br>
26-ish gallon range, I have<br>
<br>
Speedaire<br>
Belaire<br>
Quincy<br>
Northstar<br>
Campbell Hausfield<br>
<br>
Any opinion as to whether I should choose one over the other?<br>
<br>
Kobalt may be an option, but the additional paperwork isn&#39;t worth the<b=
r>
savings to me.<br>
<br>
Jeff Scarbrough<br>
Undisclosed Location, Ga.<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/stearman809@gmai=
l.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/o=
ptions/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000007b814e05c29f8d1e--

--===============5795856047014755964==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5795856047014755964==--

---

From: Thomas Coradeschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 22:52:18 -0400

Quite timely! The bottom of my current compressor’s tank has rotted thru (ssssssssssssssss), so I’m in the market.

—
Tom Coradeschi
[email-masked]

> On 18 May 2021, at 3:16 PM, old dirtbeard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Jeff,
> 
> Well, it is not the exact answer to your question (don't you like it when folks respond this way) :-), but Saylor-Beall is 100% USA-made, and as good as they come. They have 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, etc. HP vertical and horizontal compressors, but their smallest tank for an electric motor is 60 gallon. It would be the last compressor that you would ever need to buy:
> 
> But again, the only small tank model they make is a 30 gallon gasoline powered compressor at the bottom of this list:
> To actually answer your question, though, among the ones you listed, I would go with Quincy if their small compressors still are made in the USA.
> 
> best,
> 
> doug
> 
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]