Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mini-split or window unit ?

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 18:57:28 -0500

Mike, this may be a tough call. Window units are easy but mini-splits probably have a much better efficiency. If you have any possibility of adding an additional conditioned area such as an office, a lot of mini-split compressors can support multiple inside units. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Apr 19, 2021, at 6:50 PM, Mike Rambour <[email-masked]> wrote:

 Ok, I want a cooler garage this year.  I have been planning to install a mini-split for several years now and this is the year.    Power will be a slight problem, shop has plenty but none where I want the compressor to go, so have to run some power. Shop has 200amp sub-panel 40ft away from where I want to install compressor. Not a big deal BUT I saw a 18k btu window unit at Home Depot and was thinking that should work great and be half the price.

 My shop is 24ft x 40ft so 960 sq. ft. 9ft tall walls of 2x6 filled with insulation and I went overboard on ceiling insulation also, stays cool until mid-afternnon on hot days then becomes a oven for the evening, I live in S. Calif.  I already have a Hot Dawg gas heater so I don't need the heat that a mini-split would provide, but might be nice to get rid of the Hot Dawg (doubt that I would) and have one unit do both.   In the "shop" area of the garage I have barn doors that I welded up forever ago, 1x2 steel with a plywood exterior, i have not used/opened those doors in over a decade, they were installed when I built the shop just so I could get my lathe and mill in easily.   I have no windows in the shop so I was thinking I could put this window ac unit in one of those barn doors, the frame will easily handle the weight and it would be a super easy hole to cut and install the unit into, I think even the hinges would handle the weight but I can get stronger bigger hinges if I need them.  Then I have dedicated 50amp plug right next to that for my TIG to plug the unit into, I weld mostly in the front of the shop anyway but I wired every wall with a 50amp for the TIG and 30amp for the table saw when I built the shop (I really went overboard on wiring).

 So what would you do ? mini-split seems to the answer but half the price for a easier install window unit and cut a hole in a unused door seems like a good idea, good ideas are often the worst...

    mike

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 20:05:00 -0400

--===============7086757551776391987==

--00000000000015934805c05c3301

I installed a mini-split in our garage (25' X 40' x 11' 8" with residential
grade insulation). I like it a lot. It is very efficient for moderate
heating needs (it loses efficiency below ~ 35*F) and frequent cooling. Here
in North Carolina winters are not extremely cold but summers need the A/C.

I had an electrician run the circuits for disconnects then I installed the
units (one in the garage, one for the room above) and had an HVAC tech
vacuum the lines and make the final connection.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:49 PM Mike Rambour <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Ok, I want a cooler garage this year.  I have been planning to install
> a mini-split for several years now and this is the year.    Power will
> be a slight problem, shop has plenty but none where I want the
> compressor to go, so have to run some power. Shop has 200amp sub-panel
> 40ft away from where I want to install compressor. Not a big deal BUT I
> saw a 18k btu window unit at Home Depot and was thinking that should
> work great and be half the price.
>
>   My shop is 24ft x 40ft so 960 sq. ft. 9ft tall walls of 2x6 filled
> with insulation and I went overboard on ceiling insulation also, stays
> cool until mid-afternnon on hot days then becomes a oven for the
> evening, I live in S. Calif.  I already have a Hot Dawg gas heater so I
> don't need the heat that a mini-split would provide, but might be nice
> to get rid of the Hot Dawg (doubt that I would) and have one unit do
> both.   In the "shop" area of the garage I have barn doors that I welded
> up forever ago, 1x2 steel with a plywood exterior, i have not
> used/opened those doors in over a decade, they were installed when I
> built the shop just so I could get my lathe and mill in easily.   I have
> no windows in the shop so I was thinking I could put this window ac unit
> in one of those barn doors, the frame will easily handle the weight and
> it would be a super easy hole to cut and install the unit into, I think
> even the hinges would handle the weight but I can get stronger bigger
> hinges if I need them.  Then I have dedicated 50amp plug right next to
> that for my TIG to plug the unit into, I weld mostly in the front of the
> shop anyway but I wired every wall with a 50amp for the TIG and 30amp
> for the table saw when I built the shop (I really went overboard on
> wiring).
>
>   So what would you do ? mini-split seems to the answer but half the
> price for a easier install window unit and cut a hole in a unused door
> seems like a good idea, good ideas are often the worst...
>
>      mike
>
> --
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--00000000000015934805c05c3301
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I installed a mini-split in our garage (25&#39; X 40&#39; =
x 11&#39; 8&quot; with residential grade insulation). I like it a lot. It i=
s very efficient for moderate heating needs (it loses efficiency below ~ 35=
*F) and frequent cooling. Here in North Carolina winters are not extremely=
=C2=A0cold but summers need the A/C.=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>I had an elec=
trician run the circuits for disconnects then I installed the units (one in=
 the garage, one for the room above) and had an HVAC tech vacuum=C2=A0the l=
ines and make the final connection.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>Eric Rus=
sell</div><div>Mebane, NC=C2=A0</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><=
div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:49 PM Mike R=
ambour &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px =
0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">=C2=
=A0=C2=A0Ok, I want a cooler garage this year.=C2=A0 I have been planning t=
o install <br>
a mini-split for several years now and this is the year.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =
Power will <br>
be a slight problem, shop has plenty but none where I want the <br>
compressor to go, so have to run some power. Shop has 200amp sub-panel <br>
40ft away from where I want to install compressor. Not a big deal BUT I <br=
saw a 18k btu window unit at Home Depot and was thinking that should <br>
work great and be half the price.<br>
<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0My shop is 24ft x 40ft so 960 sq. ft. 9ft tall walls of 2x6 fil=
led <br>
with insulation and I went overboard on ceiling insulation also, stays <br>
cool until mid-afternnon on hot days then becomes a oven for the <br>
evening, I live in S. Calif.=C2=A0 I already have a Hot Dawg gas heater so =
I <br>
don&#39;t need the heat that a mini-split would provide, but might be nice =
<br>
to get rid of the Hot Dawg (doubt that I would) and have one unit do <br>
both.=C2=A0=C2=A0 In the &quot;shop&quot; area of the garage I have barn do=
ors that I welded <br>
up forever ago, 1x2 steel with a plywood exterior, i have not <br>
used/opened those doors in over a decade, they were installed when I <br>
built the shop just so I could get my lathe and mill in easily.=C2=A0=C2=A0=
 I have <br>
no windows in the shop so I was thinking I could put this window ac unit <b=
r>
in one of those barn doors, the frame will easily handle the weight and <br=
it would be a super easy hole to cut and install the unit into, I think <br=
even the hinges would handle the weight but I can get stronger bigger <br>
hinges if I need them.=C2=A0 Then I have dedicated 50amp plug right next to=
 <br>
that for my TIG to plug the unit into, I weld mostly in the front of the <b=
r>
shop anyway but I wired every wall with a 50amp for the TIG and 30amp <br>
for the table saw when I built the shop (I really went overboard on wiring)=
.<br>
<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0So what would you do ? mini-split seems to the answer but half =
the <br>
price for a easier install window unit and cut a hole in a unused door <br>
seems like a good idea, good ideas are often the worst...<br>
<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 mike<br>
<br>
-- <br>
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don&#39;t have it,<br>
you&#39;ll probably never need one again.<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</di=
v></div></div>

--00000000000015934805c05c3301--

--===============7086757551776391987==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7086757551776391987==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:12:37 -0400 04/20/2021 01:12:38 PM, Serialize complete at 04/20/2021 01:12:38 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============6114736290992727154==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 005E899E852586BD_=

Mike, last march I installed a mini-split in my bedroom.  It was 
professionally sourced and installed (Carrer)

I LOVE that thing.  While it was only sized for my bedroom, I can cool the 
entire upstairs with it and even provide cooling for the downstairs.

So, I looked at my shop (2600SQFT) and thought I could put one in there.

I bought one from Walmart (the largest one I could find) and installed it 
myself.   It is a really easy deal.  I did have a buddy help me with the 
vacuum lines when i was done.
 Now I will never consider a window mount unit, EVER!  I had them in there 
for years, super loud, poor cooling (and a blast fan), terrible 
inefficent.  Not to mention couldn't really seal the window from incects. 
Also, the need to put it in and take it out all the time.  No more.

I'm a mini split convert.

The ONLY downside, is that if it is a nice cool day outside, they can't 
blow that air in the house.  But I can use another fan for those times.

Enjoy!

Moose

--=_alternative 005E899E852586BD_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Mike, last march I installed a mini-split
in my bedroom. &nbsp;It was professionally sourced and installed (Carrer)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I LOVE that thing. &nbsp;While it was
only sized for my bedroom, I can cool the entire upstairs with it and even
provide cooling for the downstairs.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">So, I looked at my shop (2600SQFT) and
thought I could put one in there.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
I bought one from Walmart (the largest one I could find) and installed
it myself. &nbsp; It is a really easy deal. &nbsp;I did have a buddy help
me with the vacuum lines when i was done.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">&nbsp;Now I will never consider a window
mount unit, EVER! &nbsp;I had them in there for years, super loud, poor
cooling (and a blast fan), terrible inefficent. &nbsp;Not to mention couldn't
really seal the window from incects. &nbsp;Also, the need to put it in
and take it out all the time. &nbsp;No more.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
I'm a mini split convert.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The ONLY downside, is that if it is
a nice cool day outside, they can't blow that air in the house. &nbsp;But
I can use another fan for those times.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Enjoy!</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Moose</font>
<br>
--=_alternative 005E899E852586BD_=--

--===============6114736290992727154==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6114736290992727154==--