Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 30 years. 3 decades.

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 08:14:02 -0500

Thanks Mark for all you’ve done over the years! I found the Datsun roadster list about 92. Really helpful. 

Peace,
Pat 

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Apr 11, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:

On this day 30 years ago Team.Net came into being.  The British-cars mailing list was already going strong, an offshoot from rec.autos Usenet group.  Dale Cook, Jim Muller, then me. Team.net went from 2 lists at the beginning, autox and british-cars, and exploded into nearly 70 different lists with something like 15,000 individuals subscribed at its peak.  For a while it was pretty much the only game in town.  As I recall, when I attended the SCCA Solo II Nationals 25th Anniversary event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox list.

And it amazes me that with such a scatterbrained procrastinator like me behind the curtain it is still on the air. It is a lot quieter these days, much better software handle many of the janitorial tasks automatically.  Back in the beginning, I had to do *everything* by hand, so to speak. Subscribes, unsubscribes, errors, I was spending 10, 15, 20 hours a week maintaining the server.  The first server had a 100 MHz processor.  Things have changed.  Back then just having a fast network connection at a residence was rare and expensive.  Good old DSL.  I remember that time when my service provider went belly up, and team net was off the air for 11 days straight.  I don't miss those days at all.

Anyway, happy birthday to those of you still here.  I hope I can continue to provide a useful service for years to come.

mjb.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 14:13:55 -0400 04/11/2021 02:13:56 PM, Serialize complete at 04/11/2021 02:13:56 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============0702611014534559918==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 006425F7852586B4_=

Darn,

I actually had this occasion in my calendar (I put it there maybe 10 or so 
years ago.)  but I had the date as tomorrow.

I can't even begin to calculate the valve of this list has been to me over 
the decades.

I'm just glad it is still here.    Thanks Mark, and thanks to all the 
members that made this list what it is today!

Eric "Inch" "Moose" "Mule" Petrevich

From:   Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
To:     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date:   04/11/2021 09:05 AM
Subject:        [Shop-talk] 30 years. 3 decades.
Sent by:        "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>

On this day 30 years ago Team.Net came into being.  The British-cars 
mailing list was already going strong, an offshoot from rec.autos Usenet 
group.  Dale Cook, Jim Muller, then me. Team.net went from 2 lists at 
the beginning, autox and british-cars, and exploded into nearly 70 
different lists with something like 15,000 individuals subscribed at its 
peak.  For a while it was pretty much the only game in town.  As I 
recall, when I attended the SCCA Solo II Nationals 25th Anniversary 
event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox 
list.

And it amazes me that with such a scatterbrained procrastinator like me 
behind the curtain it is still on the air. It is a lot quieter these 
days, much better software handle many of the janitorial tasks 
automatically.  Back in the beginning, I had to do *everything* by hand, 
so to speak. Subscribes, unsubscribes, errors, I was spending 10, 15, 20 
hours a week maintaining the server.  The first server had a 100 MHz 
processor.  Things have changed.  Back then just having a fast network 
connection at a residence was rare and expensive.  Good old DSL.  I 
remember that time when my service provider went belly up, and team net 
was off the air for 11 days straight.  I don't miss those days at all.

Anyway, happy birthday to those of you still here.  I hope I can 
continue to provide a useful service for years to come.

mjb.

--=_alternative 006425F7852586B4_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Darn,</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I actually had this occasion in my calendar
(I put it there maybe 10 or so years ago.) &nbsp;but I had the date as
tomorrow.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I can't even begin to calculate the
valve of this list has been to me over the decades.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I'm just glad it is still here. &nbsp;
&nbsp;Thanks Mark, and thanks to all the members that made this list what
it is today!</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Eric &quot;Inch&quot; &quot;Moose&quot;
&quot;Mule&quot; Petrevich</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Mark J Bradakis &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;[email-masked]&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">04/11/2021 09:05 AM</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">[Shop-talk]
30 years. 3 decades.</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Sent by: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;Shop-talk&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><font size=2>On this day 30 years ago Team.Net came into being.&nbsp;
The British-cars <br>
mailing list was already going strong, an offshoot from rec.autos Usenet
<br>
group.&nbsp; Dale Cook, Jim Muller, then me. Team.net went from 2 lists
at <br>
the beginning, autox and british-cars, and exploded into nearly 70 <br>
different lists with something like 15,000 individuals subscribed at its
<br>
peak.&nbsp; For a while it was pretty much the only game in town.&nbsp;
As I <br>
recall, when I attended the SCCA Solo II Nationals 25th Anniversary <br>
event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox list.<br>
<br>
And it amazes me that with such a scatterbrained procrastinator like me
<br>
behind the curtain it is still on the air. It is a lot quieter these <br>
days, much better software handle many of the janitorial tasks <br>
automatically.&nbsp; Back in the beginning, I had to do *everything* by
hand, <br>
so to speak. Subscribes, unsubscribes, errors, I was spending 10, 15, 20
<br>
hours a week maintaining the server.&nbsp; The first server had a 100 MHz
<br>
processor.&nbsp; Things have changed.&nbsp; Back then just having a fast
network <br>
connection at a residence was rare and expensive.&nbsp; Good old DSL.&nbsp;
I <br>
remember that time when my service provider went belly up, and team net
<br>
was off the air for 11 days straight.&nbsp; I don't miss those days at
all.<br>
<br>
Anyway, happy birthday to those of you still here.&nbsp; I hope I can <br>
continue to provide a useful service for years to come.<br>
<br>
mjb.<br>
<br>
</font></tt>
<br>
--=_alternative 006425F7852586B4_=--

--===============0702611014534559918==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0702611014534559918==--

---

From: Shannah Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:45:42 -0700

--===============5986904027920890025==

--00000000000084686405bfb6ce55

This list has been really helpful, and I've enjoyed the
conversations.  Thanks, Mark, for hosting and keeping
things going.

Shannah

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 6:06 AM Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox list.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000084686405bfb6ce55
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>This list has been really helpful, and I&#39;ve enjoy=
ed the</div><div>conversations.=C2=A0 Thanks, Mark, for hosting and keeping=
</div><div>things going.</div><div><br></div><div>Shannah<br></div></div><b=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, =
Apr 11, 2021 at 6:06 AM Mark J Bradakis &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mark@bradakis=
.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,=
204);padding-left:1ex">On this day 30 years ago Team.Net came into being.=
=C2=A0 The British-cars <br>
mailing list was already going strong, an offshoot from rec.autos Usenet <b=
r>
group.=C2=A0 Dale Cook, Jim Muller, then me. Team.net went from 2 lists at =
<br>
the beginning, autox and british-cars, and exploded into nearly 70 <br>
different lists with something like 15,000 individuals subscribed at its <b=
r>
peak.=C2=A0 For a while it was pretty much the only game in town.=C2=A0 As =
I <br>
recall, when I attended the SCCA Solo II Nationals 25th Anniversary <br>
event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox list.=
<br>
<br>
And it amazes me that with such a scatterbrained procrastinator like me <br=
behind the curtain it is still on the air. It is a lot quieter these <br>
days, much better software handle many of the janitorial tasks <br>
automatically.=C2=A0 Back in the beginning, I had to do *everything* by han=
d, <br>
so to speak. Subscribes, unsubscribes, errors, I was spending 10, 15, 20 <b=
r>
hours a week maintaining the server.=C2=A0 The first server had a 100 MHz <=
br>
processor.=C2=A0 Things have changed.=C2=A0 Back then just having a fast ne=
twork <br>
connection at a residence was rare and expensive.=C2=A0 Good old DSL.=C2=A0=
 I <br>
remember that time when my service provider went belly up, and team net <br=
was off the air for 11 days straight.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t miss those days at =
all.<br>
<br>
Anyway, happy birthday to those of you still here.=C2=A0 I hope I can <br>
continue to provide a useful service for years to come.<br>
<br>
mjb.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000084686405bfb6ce55--

--===============5986904027920890025==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5986904027920890025==--

---

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 07:12:18 -0500

--===============0806287013385551552==

--00000000000089a79f05bfc56dd9

That's amazing, Mark.

I'm trying to remember my original subscription date. I read about
spitfires@autox in "British Car Monthly", if memory serves. 1992-ish, maybe?

Then Spitfires, or majordomo, had a list of all the *other* lists on
team.net.

I remember moving from...aol, maybe, to a different isp, then another,
having to re-subscribe each time.

That was a nice little old guy story, there. Wow.

Best to everybody.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021, 8:05 AM Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000089a79f05bfc56dd9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">That&#39;s amazing, Mark.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto"><br></di=
v><div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m trying to remember my original subscription dat=
e. I read about spitfires@autox in &quot;British Car Monthly&quot;, if memo=
ry serves. 1992-ish, maybe?</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"au=
to">Then Spitfires, or majordomo, had a list of all the *other* lists on <a=
 href=3D"http://team.net">team.net</a>.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><d=
iv dir=3D"auto">I remember moving from...aol, maybe, to a different isp, th=
en another, having to re-subscribe each time.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></=
div><div dir=3D"auto">That was a nice little old guy story, there. Wow.</di=
v><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Best to everybody.</div></d=
iv><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On =
Sun, Apr 11, 2021, 8:05 AM Mark J Bradakis &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mark@brada=
kis.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wro=
te:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;b=
order-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On this day 30 years ago Team.N=
et came into being.=C2=A0 The British-cars <br>
mailing list was already going strong, an offshoot from rec.autos Usenet <b=
r>
group.=C2=A0 Dale Cook, Jim Muller, then me. Team.net went from 2 lists at =
<br>
the beginning, autox and british-cars, and exploded into nearly 70 <br>
different lists with something like 15,000 individuals subscribed at its <b=
r>
peak.=C2=A0 For a while it was pretty much the only game in town.=C2=A0 As =
I <br>
recall, when I attended the SCCA Solo II Nationals 25th Anniversary <br>
event, something like 2/3rds of the 1,000+ entrants were on the autox list.=
<br>
<br>
And it amazes me that with such a scatterbrained procrastinator like me <br=
was off the air for 11 days straight.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t miss those days at =
all.<br>
<br>
Anyway, happy birthday to those of you still here.=C2=A0 I hope I can <br>
continue to provide a useful service for years to come.<br>
<br>
mjb.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br>
errer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
shop-talk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer n=
oreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><b=
r>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/scott.ha=
[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000089a79f05bfc56dd9--

--===============0806287013385551552==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0806287013385551552==--