Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Compressor problem

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 18:01:41 -0500

Belts look/feel good? 

If you buy it, I’d try new belts first. Unload the pump & run it for30 minutes & see if the pump gets hot. 
If there is a possibility of expanding pistons, try changing the oil. No telling what’s in there now. Much cheaper & faster than rebuilding it. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Mar 30, 2021, at 5:52 PM, Scott Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:

team
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 16:09:20 -0700

--===============6302604614827794655==

--0000000000004aa7ed05bec9174e

Hi Scott,

I know it is too obvious to ask, but have you tried tightening or dressing
the belt? The fact that it runs up to 150 psi and then slips might indicate
a belt problem. If it stalled the motor, caused the breaker to pop, etc.,
then I would be more inclined to think of internal mechanical problems.

best,

doug

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 3:52 PM Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Fellas,
>
> Looking at a used Quincy compressor. The data plate calls it an ATV5. it's
> a two-stage.
>
> It runs fine until it reaches about 150 psi, then the belt starts to
> squeal like the pump is dragging. Does that sound like a common problem?
>
> I figure:
>
> 1) The pistons are expanding, dragging the pump.
>
> 2) The valves aren't closing behind the compressed air, allowing it to
> 'push back' against the pistons.
>
> I can't disassemble the thing, but a new pump is almost as much as just
> buying a new compressor. Any guesses on if I should take a flyer and try to
> rebuild it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000004aa7ed05bec9174e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi Scott,<div><br></div><div>I know it is too obvious to a=
sk, but have you tried tightening or dressing the belt? The fact that it ru=
ns up to 150 psi and then slips might indicate a belt problem. If it stalle=
d the motor, caused the breaker to pop, etc., then I would be more inclined=
 to think of internal mechanical problems.</div><div><br></div><div>best,</=
div><div><br></div><div>doug</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div=
 dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 3:52 PM Scott Hal=
l &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">scott.hall.personal@=
gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Fellas,<div><br></div><div>Looking at a used Qu=
incy compressor. The data plate calls it an ATV5. it&#39;s a two-stage.</di=
v><div><br></div><div>It runs fine until it reaches about 150 psi, then the=
 belt starts to squeal like the pump is dragging. Does that sound like a co=
mmon problem?</div><div><br>I figure:</div><div><br></div><div>1) The pisto=
ns are expanding, dragging the pump.</div><div><br></div><div>2) The valves=
 aren&#39;t closing behind the compressed air, allowing it to &#39;push bac=
k&#39; against the pistons.</div><div><br></div><div>I can&#39;t disassembl=
e the thing, but a new pump is almost as much as just buying a new compress=
or. Any guesses on if I should take a flyer and try to rebuild it?</div><di=
v><br></div><div>Thanks in advance.</div></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000004aa7ed05bec9174e--

--===============6302604614827794655==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6302604614827794655==--