Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Lights bulbs that are 'connected'

From: Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 15:05:17 -0800

Different bulbs will work differently but almost any dimmable LEDs 
should be fine to use.  Get one and try it.  The non-dimmable ones may 
act strangely with the 'trickle' of connection you get with in line 
control like the x10.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
[email-masked]

> Hello all, this might be a stupid question, but are there light bulbs
> (traditional screw in form and size) that are leds and BRIGHT, but also
> maintain an electrical contact when off like an incandescent bulb did?
>
> I have X10 controllers and they work AWESOMELY still.  I love them and I
> don't want to change to anything else right now.
>
> However, the switches rely on a contact across the bulb even when they are
> off.  Are there any modern bulbs (they need not be LED) that fit this
> bill?
>
> Or am I over thinking this an any LED will work?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Moose
>
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 18:41:34 -0800

> act strangely with the 'trickle' of connection you get with in line

X10 relies on a very low current.  Many LEDs do as well.  Not always a 
perfect mix.  Yeah, experimentation.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 14:12:05 -0500

--===============5993442207810484131==

--00000000000040fd1105bd337276

The interesting result I have with dimmable LED lights is that when my
Lutron Maestro dimmers are at 0, I still have a little bit of light. It
makes for a not-unpleasant "nightlight" effect in several bathrooms in the
house, including the Shop!

I too use X10 (all bought in 1999 or so), and am planning to implement Home
Assistant (as a container on my NAS), and need to start picking up some
control hardware. What does this Big Brain Trust recommend? I'm looking for
dusk-to-dawn sensors, controllable light switches (preferably similar in
behavior to my Lutron Maestro switches), telemetry gear (for
temperature/humidity, occupancy, etc). Voice control would be a super
bonus, but I want all of the control to be local, so no Alexa or similar.

-Peter

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000040fd1105bd337276
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">The interesting result I have with dimmable LED lights is =
that when my Lutron Maestro dimmers are at 0, I still have a little bit of =
light. It makes for a not-unpleasant &quot;nightlight&quot; effect in sever=
al bathrooms in the house, including the Shop!<div><br></div><div>I too use=
 X10 (all bought in 1999 or so), and am planning=C2=A0to implement Home Ass=
istant (as a container on my NAS), and need to start picking up some contro=
l hardware. What does this Big Brain Trust recommend? I&#39;m looking for d=
usk-to-dawn sensors, controllable light switches (preferably similar in beh=
avior to my Lutron Maestro switches), telemetry gear (for temperature/humid=
ity, occupancy, etc). Voice control would be a super bonus, but I want all =
of the control to be local, so no Alexa or similar.</div><div><br></div><di=
v>-Peter</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=
=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jem@mi=
lleredp.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(2=
04,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On 2021-03-09 15:05, Mark Miller wrote:<br>
&gt; Different bulbs will work differently but almost any dimmable LEDs<br>
&gt; should be fine to use.=C2=A0 Get one and try it.=C2=A0 The non-dimmabl=
e ones may<br>
&gt; act strangely with the &#39;trickle&#39; of connection you get with in=
 line<br>
&gt; control like the x10.<br>
<br>
X10 relies on a very low current.=C2=A0 Many LEDs do as well.=C2=A0 Not alw=
ays a <br>
perfect mix.=C2=A0 Yeah, experimentation.<br>
<br>
John.<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000040fd1105bd337276--

--===============5993442207810484131==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5993442207810484131==--