Subject: [Shop-talk] Compressor problem

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 17:50:30 -0500

--===============1584122691756322799==

--00000000000038482a05bec8d54c

Fellas,

Looking at a used Quincy compressor. The data plate calls it an ATV5. it's
a two-stage.

It runs fine until it reaches about 150 psi, then the belt starts to squeal
like the pump is dragging. Does that sound like a common problem?

I figure:

1) The pistons are expanding, dragging the pump.

2) The valves aren't closing behind the compressed air, allowing it to
'push back' against the pistons.

I can't disassemble the thing, but a new pump is almost as much as just
buying a new compressor. Any guesses on if I should take a flyer and try to
rebuild it?

Thanks in advance.

--00000000000038482a05bec8d54c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Fellas,<div><br></div><div>Looking at a used Quincy compre=
ssor. The data plate calls it an ATV5. it&#39;s a two-stage.</div><div><br>=
</div><div>It runs fine until it reaches about 150 psi, then the belt start=
s to squeal like the pump is dragging. Does that sound like a common proble=
m?</div><div><br>I figure:</div><div><br></div><div>1) The pistons are expa=
nding, dragging the pump.</div><div><br></div><div>2) The valves aren&#39;t=
 closing behind the compressed air, allowing it to &#39;push back&#39; agai=
nst the pistons.</div><div><br></div><div>I can&#39;t disassemble the thing=
, but a new pump is almost as much as just buying a new compressor. Any gue=
sses on if I should take a flyer and try to rebuild it?</div><div><br></div=
><div>Thanks in advance.</div></div>

--00000000000038482a05bec8d54c--

--===============1584122691756322799==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============1584122691756322799==--