Subject: [Shop-talk] Need expertise: External halogen floodlight replacement

From: "The Corvair Kid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 15:57:43 -0800 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0"

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0286_01D703B3.4CF1BFE0"

------=_NextPart_001_0286_01D703B3.4CF1BFE0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi all,

I am looking into replacing two long-serving halogen floodlights on the
exterior of my shop with LED units. I could use some help from the group in
understanding what choices provide an apples-to-apples replacement (or
better), in terms of overall brightness and similar coverage.

The existing units are Heath/Zenith Model SL-5525. A picture of one of them
is attached, as are pictures of a couple of pages of the installation
instructions (yes, I saved them from nearly 20 years ago!). These units each
use a single 250-Watt T3 bulb, which the Interwebz claims provide 4000
lumens. The lights are mounted approximately 15 feet above ground and shine
onto a bare concrete driveway.

As you can see, these units have both motion and light sensors, the
functionality of which I intend to carry forward into any LED replacements
being considered. In addition, I do not wish to remove or replace the
existing electrical box extensions mounted on the shop exterior. The wood is
clear cedar and I don't want to deal with fading or differing hole sizes. I
realize that this constrains my replacement choices a fair amount, since (it
appears) relatively-few LED lights use a standard round mounting plate. The
mounting location under the eave also restricts the size of any replacement
fixture. (Some high-lumen LEDs that I have found are quite large in size.)

With help from an electrical and lighting supplier near me, one candidate
(the only one so far) is made by OLF. A spec sheet is attached. As you can
see, the manufacturer claims that the two LED heads provide a total of 2160
lumens. The lighting supplier said that, due to the directionality of LEDs,
1/2 the number of lumens are needed for equivalent brightness to halogen.

So, group - any comments or recommendations would be most helpful. Do you
agree with the "LEDs can have 50% fewer lumens" claim? Any knowledge or
experience about the coverage ("cone") of a single halogen vs. 2 LEDs at ~15
feet height? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks,

--Kent

------=_NextPart_001_0286_01D703B3.4CF1BFE0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-micr=
osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"=
><meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><=
style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"#0563=
C1" vlink=3D"#954F72" style=3D"word-wrap:break-word"><div class=3D"WordSect=
ion1"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&q=
uot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Hi all,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNor=
mal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-ser=
if"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-=
size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I am looking into rep=
lacing two long-serving halogen floodlights on the exterior of my shop with=
 LED units. I could use some help from the group in understanding what choi=
ces provide an apples-to-apples replacement (or better), in terms of overal=
l brightness and similar coverage.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNorm=
al"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-seri=
f"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-s=
ize:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">The existing units are=
 Heath/Zenith Model SL-5525. A picture of one of them is attached, as are p=
ictures of a couple of pages of the installation instructions (yes, I saved=
 them from nearly 20 years ago!). These units each use a single 250-Watt T3=
 bulb, which the Interwebz claims provide 4000 lumens. The lights are mount=
ed approximately 15 feet above ground and shine onto a bare concrete drivew=
ay.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10=
.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>=
<p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Ar=
ial&quot;,sans-serif">As you can see, these units have both motion and ligh=
t sensors, the functionality of which I intend to carry forward into any LE=
D replacements being considered. In addition, I do not wish to remove or re=
place the existing electrical box extensions mounted on the shop exterior. =
The wood is clear cedar and I don&#8217;t want to deal with fading or diffe=
ring hole sizes. I realize that this constrains my replacement choices a fa=
ir amount, since (it appears) relatively-few LED lights use a standard roun=
d mounting plate. The mounting location under the eave also restricts the s=
ize of any replacement fixture. (Some high-lumen LEDs that I have found are=
 quite large in size.)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span st=
yle=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p>&nbs=
p;</o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;f=
ont-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">With help from an electrical and l=
ighting supplier near me, one candidate (the only one so far) is made by OL=
F. A spec sheet is attached. As you can see, the manufacturer claims that t=
he two LED heads provide a total of 2160 lumens. The lighting supplier said=
 that, due to the directionality of LEDs, 1/2 the number of lumens are need=
ed for equivalent brightness to halogen.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"M=
soNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,san=
s-serif"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"=
font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">So, group &#8211=
; any comments or recommendations would be most helpful. Do you agree with =
the &#8220;LEDs can have 50% fewer lumens&#8221; claim? Any knowledge or ex=
perience about the coverage (&#8220;cone&#8221;) of a single halogen vs. 2 =
LEDs at ~15 feet height? Anything else I should consider?<o:p></o:p></span>=
</p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quo=
t;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal=
"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"=
>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-si=
ze:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span=
></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&qu=
ot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">--Kent<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></body></html>=

------=_NextPart_001_0286_01D703B3.4CF1BFE0--

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0
	name="H-Z 5525 01.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="H-Z 5525 01.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0
	name="H-Z 5525 02.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="H-Z 5525 02.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0
	name="H-Z 5525 03.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="H-Z 5525 03.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0
	name="OLF-2RH.pdf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="OLF-2RH.pdf"

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D703B3.4CF198D0--

---

From: Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 22:23:34 -0800

Hi.  I've recently done this but cannot see your attachments as shoptalk 
scrubbed them away (this might be due to my getting posts in a digest 
format).

In my application I replaced a twin quartz fixture with a knuckle 
mounted 50W LED rated 4500 lumens and separate motion/light sensor, both 
mounted to the existing round box with a new round (threaded hole) 
coverplate .  If the sensor you have is to your liking and still works 
you can reuse it and just change the light.
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/electrical/lighting-outdoor/flood-lighting/led-flood-light-50w-4500-lumens-5000k-with-knuckle-mount
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007HH01X0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5HXJ6ZFDYTHQ5RJW2QDA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

You should be able to make it fit your application;  you might need a 
couple of 1/2" pipe fittings to space it away from the box a tad.  (this 
is said having not seen the image of your installation).

And: lumens are lumens.  If they are in a spot or more of a flood you 
will have different brightness (think lumens per square foot), but if 
the light isn't there it just isn't.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
[email-masked]

> From: "The Corvair Kid" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Need expertise: External halogen floodlight
> 	replacement
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi all,
>
>   
>

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]