Subject: [Shop-talk] Extra post....

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:59:28 +0000

--_004_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_
	boundary="_000_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_"

--_000_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Embarrassing question here (again):

I am replacing all the outlets (with GFI) and the light switch in the kitch=
en.

What is the extra post on the right? (not the green one) What I am replacin=
g only has three: both wires and the ground.

thanks

--_000_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Embarrassing question here (again):&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I am replacing all the outlets (with GFI) and the light switch in the kitch=
en.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
What is the extra post on the right? (not the green one) What I am replacin=
g only has three: both wires and the ground.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
thanks</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_--

--_004_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_
Content-Description: switch.jpg
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="switch.jpg"; size=70522;
	creation-date="Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:58:41 GMT";
	modification-date="Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:58:47 GMT"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--_004_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--_004_DS7PR19MB46292AD24C64ACE01ED1BACBB4A60DS7PR19MB4629namp_--

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 15:41:50 -0600

> On Jan 16, 2021, at 13:14, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> My OCD blocked me from even thinking this could be an option :-)
> 
> Be sure to screw the unused terminal all the way in to minimize contact with metal.

For some types of switch, the only real option is a three way switch. (Good quality led dimmers,for example).  I expect even ordinary three way snap switches are listed for use as a single switch. 

I tape devices, to prevent errant contact with screws. 

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]