Subject: [Shop-talk] Air impact dead?

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 12:07:25 -0600

--===============1360620436638700995==

--0000000000008f044a05b981117e

IR2131 - 1/2" impact.

It's maybe 20 years old. Been used maybe half a dozen times in twenty years
(it has a brother that gets used usually) and has lived a coddled life in a
padded tool drawer. Not even really dusty.

Tried it the other day and it acts like there's no air in the compressor.
Turns really slow with no power at all. Not even a first good smack.

I'm trying to use it with a portable roofing compressor (the two long
tanks, maybe three gallon capacity), but it puts out 100+ p.s.i. and it
filled up.

Should I try to take it (the wrench) apart and see if something's in the
passages? Do they just wear out over time, even if not used? Might the
compressor be too small? My only thought is maybe a wasp got into it and
made a nest somewhere in there. I don't *see* anything, but...

--0000000000008f044a05b981117e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">IR2131 - 1/2&quot; impact.<div><br></div><div>It&#39;s may=
be 20 years old. Been used maybe half a dozen times in twenty years (it has=
 a brother that gets used usually) and has lived a coddled life in a padded=
 tool drawer. Not even really dusty.</div><div><br></div><div>Tried it the =
other day and it acts like there&#39;s no air in the compressor. Turns real=
ly slow with no power at all. Not even a first good smack.</div><div><br></=
div><div>I&#39;m trying to use it with a portable roofing compressor (the t=
wo long tanks, maybe three gallon capacity), but it puts out 100+ p.s.i. an=
d it filled up.</div><div><br></div><div>Should I try to take it (the wrenc=
h) apart and see if something&#39;s in the passages? Do they just wear out =
over time, even if not used? Might the compressor be too small? My only tho=
ught is maybe a wasp got into it and made a nest somewhere in there. I don&=
#39;t *see* anything, but...</div></div>

--0000000000008f044a05b981117e--

--===============1360620436638700995==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============1360620436638700995==--

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 10:43:29 -0800

--===============8778261860685711619==

--00000000000031d04505b9819111

I have seen this with seldom used air impact wrenches. The air paddles in
the motor get stuck in their slots and will not seal. You will hear the air
escaping from the wrench, but with little movement or power.

You could try to squirt some air tool oil in it, spin it just a little to
spread it around the paddles, let it set for a few hours and try it again
to see if it free the paddles before you open it up.

best,

doug

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:08 AM Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> IR2131 - 1/2" impact.
>
> It's maybe 20 years old. Been used maybe half a dozen times in twenty
> years (it has a brother that gets used usually) and has lived a coddled
> life in a padded tool drawer. Not even really dusty.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000031d04505b9819111
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I have seen this with seldom used air impact wrenches. The=
 air paddles in the motor get stuck in their slots and will not seal. You w=
ill hear the air escaping from the wrench, but with little movement or powe=
r.<div><br></div><div>You could try to squirt some air tool oil in it, spin=
 it just a little to spread it around the paddles, let it set for a few hou=
rs and try it again to see if it free the paddles before you open it up.</d=
iv><div><br></div><div>best,</div><div><br></div><div>doug</div></div><br><=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, Jan=
 22, 2021 at 10:08 AM Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.hall.personal@=
gmail.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquot=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px s=
olid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">IR2131 - 1/2&quot;=
 impact.<div><br></div><div>It&#39;s maybe 20 years old. Been used maybe ha=
lf a dozen times in twenty years (it has a brother that gets used usually) =
and has lived a coddled life in a padded tool drawer. Not even really dusty=
.</div><div><br></div><div>Tried it the other day and it acts like there&#3=
9;s no air in the compressor. Turns really slow with no power at all. Not e=
ven a first good smack.</div><div><br></div><div>I&#39;m trying to use it w=
ith a portable roofing compressor (the two long tanks, maybe three gallon c=
apacity), but it puts out 100+ p.s.i. and it filled up.</div><div><br></div=
><div>Should I try to take it (the wrench) apart and see if something&#39;s=
 in the passages? Do they just wear out over time, even if not used? Might =
the compressor be too small? My only thought is maybe a wasp got into it an=
d made a nest somewhere in there. I don&#39;t *see* anything, but...</div><=
/div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000031d04505b9819111--

--===============8778261860685711619==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8778261860685711619==--