Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] drawer glides

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 21:51:03 -0500

--===============8800788784620228248==

--000000000000577a8305b9c4baa3

I'm guessing that the drawer half of the guide fits into a dado the length
of the drawer box? This is not a commonly available fitment. If the drawer
box is 1" narrower than the opening in the dresser then it would be easy to
adapt any of the commonly available drawer guides. In that case you might
need to make a filler piece to fill in the dado.

A photo of the drawer guides would help.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:51 PM Peter Murray <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Kind Lads and Lassies-
>
> I received a 6-drawer danish dresser (3 drawers down, 2 across) from my
> sister, and while it is in good condition, her kids were pretty hard on the
> drawer glides, and they're in need of replacement. Unfortunately, the
> glides have no manufacturer markings of any sort.
>
> The vendor of the dresser (30 years ago) doesn't know where to acquire
> replacement glides, so I ask of this Big Brain Trust - where would one find
> replacements?
>
> These are side-mount glides which mount in a groove in the side of the
> drawer. Ideally, I'd find an exact replacement to these two-piece (plus
> ball-bearings and plastic clip to keep the bearings in place). The 420mm
> outer piece mounts in the drawer, the smaller, 343mm inner glide is mounted
> on the dresser. The height of the glide has been the big challenge, as
> they're about 27mm, though I'm going to get more precise with my measuring
> to be sure).
>
> I've seen what Rockler, Rufkahrs, The Hardware Hut, Cabinet Parts and
> others have on offer, but I'm wondering if I'm looking in the wrong place,
> or if I'm overthinking this. Underthinking is also a distinct possibility.
>
> I supplicate myself to your superior intellect.
>
> -Peter
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--000000000000577a8305b9c4baa3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I&#39;m guessing that the drawer half of the guide fits in=
to a dado the length of the drawer box? This is not a commonly available fi=
tment. If the drawer box is 1&quot; narrower than the opening in the dresse=
r then it would be easy to adapt any of the commonly available drawer guide=
s. In that case you might need to make a filler piece to fill in the dado.=
=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>A photo of the drawer guides would help.=C2=A0</d=
iv><div><br></div><div>Eric Russell</div><div>Mebane, NC=C2=A0</div></div><=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon,=
 Jan 25, 2021 at 8:51 PM Peter Murray &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peterwmurray@gm=
ail.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Kind Lads and Lassies-<di=
v><br></div><div>I received a 6-drawer danish dresser (3 drawers down, 2 ac=
ross) from my sister, and while it is in good condition, her kids were pret=
ty hard on the drawer glides, and they&#39;re in need of replacement. Unfor=
tunately, the glides have no manufacturer markings of any sort.<div><br></d=
iv><div>The vendor of the dresser (30 years ago) doesn&#39;t know where to =
acquire replacement glides, so I ask of this Big Brain Trust - where would =
one find replacements?</div><div><br></div><div>These are side-mount glides=
 which mount in a groove in the side of the drawer. Ideally, I&#39;d find a=
n exact replacement to these two-piece (plus ball-bearings and plastic clip=
 to keep the bearings in place). The 420mm outer piece mounts in the drawer=
, the smaller, 343mm inner glide is mounted on the dresser. The height of t=
he glide has been the big challenge, as they&#39;re about 27mm, though I&#3=
9;m going to get more precise with my measuring to be sure).</div><div><br>=
</div><div>I&#39;ve seen what Rockler, Rufkahrs, The Hardware Hut, Cabinet =
Parts and others have on offer, but I&#39;m wondering if I&#39;m looking in=
 the=C2=A0wrong place, or if I&#39;m overthinking this. Underthinking is al=
so a distinct possibility.</div><div><br></div><div>I supplicate myself to =
your superior=C2=A0intellect.</div><div><br></div><div>-Peter</div></div></=
div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=
x.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Eric Russell<div>Mebane, NC</di=
v></div></div>

--000000000000577a8305b9c4baa3--

--===============8800788784620228248==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8800788784620228248==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 20:17:21 -0500

About 13 years ago, I got a Norco Air/hydraulic floor jack.  I have 
been very happy with it when it works, but there have been some 
problems.  Contemplating a replacement, I am not really seeing 
anything like this available now.  Have you guys found anything 
similar?  It is a pretty traditional hydraulic floor jack, except it 
also has a compressed air connection.  This operates a pump that 
moves the hydraulic fluid instead of pumping the handle.  The Norco 
is 2.25 Ton, which is plenty for me.  I need to lift everything from 
my Miata to a large SUV.  Besides saving my back, I sometimes find 
the jack in a position where I can't raise the jack handle enough 
before it hits the bumper or other part of the car.  Is there 
anything clever available these days?  If you have a fancy lift, I am 
jealous, but I don't have the room or ceiling height for one.  Thanks.

-Steve T. 

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 20:17:21 -0500

-Steve T. 

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 21:24:01 -0500

--===============6340351800795851794==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_9976EA2B-0B12-459B-A075-1127C560ABF1"

--Apple-Mail=_9976EA2B-0B12-459B-A075-1127C560ABF1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

This got me thinking, that with the current battery and motor tech, =
there should be electric assist ones. Pneumatics seem to be fading away. =
I did find a bunch of crap, mostly for roadside emergencies that =
wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly nothing approaching the version in =
my head.

But you asked for clever:

https://www.quickjack.com/ <https://www.quickjack.com/>

jim

> On Jan 30, 2021, at 8:17 PM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> About 13 years ago, I got a Norco Air/hydraulic floor jack.  I have =
been very happy with it when it works, but there have been some =
problems.  Contemplating a replacement, I am not really seeing anything =
like this available now.  Have you guys found anything similar?  It is a =
pretty traditional hydraulic floor jack, except it also has a compressed =
air connection.  This operates a pump that moves the hydraulic fluid =
instead of pumping the handle.  The Norco is 2.25 Ton, which is plenty =
for me.  I need to lift everything from my Miata to a large SUV.  =
Besides saving my back, I sometimes find the jack in a position where I =
can't raise the jack handle enough before it hits the bumper or other =
part of the car.  Is there anything clever available these days?  If you =
have a fancy lift, I am jealous, but I don't have the room or ceiling =
height for one.  Thanks.
>=20
> -Steve T.=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_9976EA2B-0B12-459B-A075-1127C560ABF1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">This =
got me thinking, that with the current battery and motor tech, there =
should be electric assist ones. Pneumatics seem to be fading away. I did =
find a bunch of crap, mostly for roadside emergencies that wouldn't fit =
under sports cars. Sadly nothing approaching the version in my head.<div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">But you asked for =
clever:</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"https://www.quickjack.com/" =
class=3D"">https://www.quickjack.com/</a></div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div><br =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Jan =
30, 2021, at 8:17 PM, Steven Trovato &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div class=3D"">About =
13 years ago, I got a Norco Air/hydraulic floor jack. &nbsp;I have been =
very happy with it when it works, but there have been some problems. =
&nbsp;Contemplating a replacement, I am not really seeing anything like =
this available now. &nbsp;Have you guys found anything similar? &nbsp;It =
is a pretty traditional hydraulic floor jack, except it also has a =
compressed air connection. &nbsp;This operates a pump that moves the =
hydraulic fluid instead of pumping the handle. &nbsp;The Norco is 2.25 =
Ton, which is plenty for me. &nbsp;I need to lift everything from my =
Miata to a large SUV. &nbsp;Besides saving my back, I sometimes find the =
jack in a position where I can't raise the jack handle enough before it =
hits the bumper or other part of the car. &nbsp;Is there anything clever =
available these days? &nbsp;If you have a fancy lift, I am jealous, but =
I don't have the room or ceiling height for one. &nbsp;Thanks.<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">-Steve T. <br class=3D""><br class=3D"">-- <br =
class=3D"">This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus =
software.<br class=3D""><a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus" =
class=3D"">https://www.avast.com/antivirus</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">[email-masked]<br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_9976EA2B-0B12-459B-A075-1127C560ABF1--

--===============6340351800795851794==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6340351800795851794==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 22:14:38 -0500

--===============7647338276712344208==
	boundary="=====================_111874697==.ALT"

--=====================_111874697==.ALT

Jim,

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  There should be some sort of 
electric alternative, perhaps using one of the common battery packs 
like Milwaukee.  But as you found, apparently no such thing exists 
yet.  As for the Quickjack, those are definitely clever.  One concern 
is the way they describe the sizing based on the kind of car.  I 
wonder if there is a model that can handle both a small car like a 
Miata and a large SUV.  I am not buying a selection of these 
things!  Also, I can currently lift a project car for long term work 
and then jack up another car for an oil change or brake job.  I guess 
I would still need a jack and stands for that scenario.  They do look 
nice, though, and they would probably be very useful for most situations.

-Steve T.

At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:
>This got me thinking, that with the current battery and motor tech, 
>there should be electric assist ones. Pneumatics seem to be fading 
>away. I did find a bunch of crap, mostly for roadside emergencies 
>that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly nothing approaching the 
>version in my head.
>
><https://www.quickjack.com/>https://www.quickjack.com/
>
>jim

--=====================_111874697==.ALT

<html>
<body>
Jim,<br><br>
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.&nbsp; There should be some sort of
electric alternative, perhaps using one of the common battery packs like
Milwaukee.&nbsp; But as you found, apparently no such thing exists
yet.&nbsp; As for the Quickjack, those are definitely clever.&nbsp; One
concern is the way they describe the sizing based on the kind of
car.&nbsp; I wonder if there is a model that can handle both a small car
like a Miata and a large SUV.&nbsp; I am not buying a selection of these
things!&nbsp; Also, I can currently lift a project car for long term work
and then jack up another car for an oil change or brake job.&nbsp; I
guess I would still need a jack and stands for that scenario.&nbsp; They
do look nice, though, and they would probably be very useful for most
situations.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve T.<br><br>
At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">This got me thinking, that with
the current battery and motor tech, there should be electric assist ones.
Pneumatics seem to be fading away. I did find a bunch of crap, mostly for
roadside emergencies that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly nothing
approaching the version in my head.<br><br>
But you asked for clever:<br><br>
<a href="https://www.quickjack.com/">https://www.quickjack.com/</a><br>
<br>
jim</blockquote><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--=====================_111874697==.ALT--

--===============7647338276712344208==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7647338276712344208==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 19:57:24 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4394266681287672393==
 boundary="------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I have one of the 5,000lb models (Costco had them on sale for less than 
$1K a while back). They work as advertised, but there's one quirk: since 
they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves forward as they're 
lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place jackstands as the car moves 
forward as it's lowered.

Maybe they should call them "QuirkJack?"

On 1/30/2021 7:14 PM, Steven Trovato wrote:
> Miata and a large SUV.  I am not buying a selection of these things!  
> Also, I can currently lift a project car for long term work and then 
> jack up another car for an oil change or brake job.  I guess I would 
> still need a jack and stands for that scenario. They do look nice, 
> though, and they would probably be very useful for most situations.
>
> -Steve T.
>

--------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    I have one of the 5,000lb models (Costco had them on sale for less
    than $1K a while back). They work as advertised, but there's one
    quirk: since they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves
    forward as they're lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place
    jackstands as the car moves forward as it's lowered.<br>
    <br>
    Maybe they should call them "QuirkJack?"<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/30/2021 7:14 PM, Steven Trovato
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      Jim,<br>
      <br>
      Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  There should be some sort of
      electric alternative, perhaps using one of the common battery
      packs like
      Milwaukee.  But as you found, apparently no such thing exists
      yet.  As for the Quickjack, those are definitely clever.  One
      concern is the way they describe the sizing based on the kind of
      car.  I wonder if there is a model that can handle both a small
      car
      like a Miata and a large SUV.  I am not buying a selection of
      these
      things!  Also, I can currently lift a project car for long term
      work
      and then jack up another car for an oil change or brake job.  I
      guess I would still need a jack and stands for that scenario. 
      They
      do look nice, though, and they would probably be very useful for
      most
      situations.  <br>
      <br>
      -Steve T.<br>
      <br>
      At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:<br>
      <blockquote type="cite" class="cite" cite="">This got me thinking,
        that with
        the current battery and motor tech, there should be electric
        assist ones.
        Pneumatics seem to be fading away. I did find a bunch of crap,
        mostly for
        roadside emergencies that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly
        nothing
        approaching the version in my head.<br>
        <br>
        But you asked for clever:<br>
        <br>
        <a href="https://www.quickjack.com/" moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.quickjack.com/</a><br>
        <br>
        jim</blockquote>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8--

--===============4394266681287672393==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4394266681287672393==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 23:29:23 -0500

--===============6121326670583336703==
	boundary="=====================_116357978==.ALT"

--=====================_116357978==.ALT

It is possible to use it to put the car on jack stands?  Everything I 
see shows the car lifted and then it stays on the quickjacks for the 
duration of the work.  It looks like they make the appropriate jack 
stand spots inaccessible.  I guess it depends on the vehicle.

At 10:57 PM 1/30/2021, Bob Spidell wrote:
>Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>jackstands as the car moves forward as it's lowered.
>
>>car.  I wonder if there is a model that can handle both a small car 
>>like a Miata and a large SUV.  I am not buying a selection of these 
>>work and then jack up another car for an oil change or brake 
>>job.  I guess I would still need a jack and stands for that 
>>scenario.  They do look nice, though, and they would probably be 
>>very useful for most situations.
>>
>>-Steve T.
>>
>>>This got me thinking, that with the current battery and motor 
>>>tech, there should be electric assist ones. Pneumatics seem to be 
>>>fading away. I did find a bunch of crap, mostly for roadside 
>>>emergencies that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly nothing 
>>>approaching the version in my head.
>>>
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--=====================_116357978==.ALT

<html>
<body>
It is possible to use it to put the car on jack stands?&nbsp; Everything
I see shows the car lifted and then it stays on the quickjacks for the
duration of the work.&nbsp; It looks like they make the appropriate jack
stand spots inaccessible.&nbsp; I guess it depends on the vehicle. 
<br><br>
<br>
At 10:57 PM 1/30/2021, Bob Spidell wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">Content-Type:
multipart/alternative;<br>
&nbsp;boundary=&quot;------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8&quot;<br>
Content-Language: en-US<br><br>
I have one of the 5,000lb models (Costco had them on sale for less than
$1K a while back). They work as advertised, but there's one quirk: since
they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves forward as they're
lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place jackstands as the car moves
forward as it's lowered.<br><br>
Maybe they should call them &quot;QuirkJack?&quot;<br><br>
<br>
On 1/30/2021 7:14 PM, Steven Trovato wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">Jim,<br><br>
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.&nbsp; There should be some sort of
electric alternative, perhaps using one of the common battery packs like
Milwaukee.&nbsp; But as you found, apparently no such thing exists
yet.&nbsp; As for the Quickjack, those are definitely clever.&nbsp; One
concern is the way they describe the sizing based on the kind of
car.&nbsp; I wonder if there is a model that can handle both a small car
like a Miata and a large SUV.&nbsp; I am not buying a selection of these
things!&nbsp; Also, I can currently lift a project car for long term work
and then jack up another car for an oil change or brake job.&nbsp; I
guess I would still need a jack and stands for that scenario.&nbsp; They
do look nice, though, and they would probably be very useful for most
situations.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve T.<br><br>
At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">This got me thinking, that with
the current battery and motor tech, there should be electric assist ones.
Pneumatics seem to be fading away. I did find a bunch of crap, mostly for
roadside emergencies that wouldn't fit under sports cars. Sadly nothing
approaching the version in my head.<br><br>
But you asked for clever:<br><br>
<a href="https://www.quickjack.com/">https://www.quickjack.com/</a><br>
<br>
jim</blockquote></blockquote><br>
_______________________________________________<br><br>
[email-masked]<br>
Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" eudora="autourl">
Archive:
<a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" eudora="autourl">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br><br>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>
</blockquote><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--=====================_116357978==.ALT--

--===============6121326670583336703==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6121326670583336703==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 20:47:33 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------85ECF1A68B9F2A482761D112
 boundary="------------CFE799DE7AF0FD787E1429AE"

--------------CFE799DE7AF0FD787E1429AE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

It's possible; for my Healeys, I put the QJ rubber blocks under the 
chassis, then lower the rear springs and front A-arms on jackstands (but 
only to get the axles back to ride-height, and I leave the QJ there for 
safety). On my Mustang, I put the blocks under the seam welds. You have 
the same problem with a floor jack, which moves as you lower it, but 
it's not as pronounced.

On 1/30/2021 8:29 PM, Steven Trovato wrote:
>> quirk: since they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves forward 
>> as they're lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place jackstands as 
>> the car moves forward as it's lowered.
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html <http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>> <http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk> 
>> http://autox.team.net/archive <http://autox.team.net/archive>
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>> <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]> 
>
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> 
> 	Virus-free. www.avast.com 
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link> 
>
>
> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--------------CFE799DE7AF0FD787E1429AE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    It's possible; for my Healeys, I put the QJ rubber blocks under the
    chassis, then lower the rear springs and front A-arms on jackstands
    (but only to get the axles back to ride-height, and I leave the QJ
    there for safety). On my Mustang, I put the blocks under the seam
    welds. You have the same problem with a floor jack, which moves as
    you lower it, but it's not as pronounced.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 1/30/2021 8:29 PM, Steven Trovato
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      It is possible to use it to put the car on jack stands? 
      Everything
      I see shows the car lifted and then it stays on the quickjacks for
      the
      duration of the work.  It looks like they make the appropriate
      jack
      stand spots inaccessible.  I guess it depends on the vehicle. <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      At 10:57 PM 1/30/2021, Bob Spidell wrote:<br>
      <blockquote type="cite" class="cite" cite="">Content-Type:
        multipart/alternative;<br>
         boundary="------------E222F060A886C2AB07BF38B8"<br>
        Content-Language: en-US<br>
        <br>
        I have one of the 5,000lb models (Costco had them on sale for
        less than
        $1K a while back). They work as advertised, but there's one
        quirk: since
        they're parallelogram-shaped, the platform moves forward as
        they're
        lowered. This makes it a bit tricky to place jackstands as the
        car moves
        forward as it's lowered.<br>
        <br>
        Maybe they should call them "QuirkJack?"<br>
        <br>
        <br>
        On 1/30/2021 7:14 PM, Steven Trovato wrote:<br>
        <blockquote type="cite" class="cite" cite="">Jim,<br>
          <br>
          Yes, I was thinking the same thing.  There should be some sort
          of
          electric alternative, perhaps using one of the common battery
          packs like
          Milwaukee.  But as you found, apparently no such thing exists
          yet.  As for the Quickjack, those are definitely clever.  One
          concern is the way they describe the sizing based on the kind
          of
          car.  I wonder if there is a model that can handle both a
          small car
          like a Miata and a large SUV.  I am not buying a selection of
          these
          things!  Also, I can currently lift a project car for long
          term work
          and then jack up another car for an oil change or brake job. 
          I
          guess I would still need a jack and stands for that scenario. 
          They
          do look nice, though, and they would probably be very useful
          for most
          situations.  <br>
          <br>
          -Steve T.<br>
          <br>
          At 09:24 PM 1/30/2021, Jim Franklin wrote:<br>
          <blockquote type="cite" class="cite" cite="">This got me
            thinking, that with
            the current battery and motor tech, there should be electric
            assist ones.
            Pneumatics seem to be fading away. I did find a bunch of
            crap, mostly for
            roadside emergencies that wouldn't fit under sports cars.
            Sadly nothing
            approaching the version in my head.<br>
            <br>
            But you asked for clever:<br>
            <br>
            <a href="https://www.quickjack.com/" moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.quickjack.com/</a><br>
            <br>
            jim</blockquote>
        </blockquote>
        <br>
        _______________________________________________<br>
        <br>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
        Donate:
        <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" eudora="autourl"
          moz-do-not-send="true">
          http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
        Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
        Archive:
        <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"
          eudora="autourl" moz-do-not-send="true">
          http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
        <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" eudora="autourl"
          moz-do-not-send="true">
          http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
        <br>
        Unsubscribe/Manage:
        <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]"
          eudora="autourl" moz-do-not-send="true">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>
      </blockquote>
      <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br>
        <table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
          <tbody>
            <tr>
              <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a
href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=link&amp;utm_campaign=sig-email&amp;utm_content=emailclient&amp;utm_term=icon"
                  target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"><img
src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif"
                    alt="" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;"
                    moz-do-not-send="true" width="46" height="29"></a></td>
              <td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color:
                #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica,
                sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a
href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&amp;utm_source=link&amp;utm_campaign=sig-email&amp;utm_content=emailclient&amp;utm_term=link"
                  target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;"
                  moz-do-not-send="true">www.avast.com</a> </td>
            </tr>
          </tbody>
        </table>
        <a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1"
          height="1" moz-do-not-send="true"> </a></div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------CFE799DE7AF0FD787E1429AE--

--------------85ECF1A68B9F2A482761D112
 name="QJ.JPG"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="QJ.JPG"

--------------85ECF1A68B9F2A482761D112
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--------------85ECF1A68B9F2A482761D112--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 01:39:23 -0500

If the floor is smooth and  the jack has decent wheels, the jack 
should move as you lower it, instead of the car moving.

At 11:47 PM 1/30/2021, Bob Spidell wrote:
>you lower it, but it's not as pronounced.

[email-masked]

---

From: nick brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:02:09 +0000

> https://www.quickjack.com/ <https://www.quickjack.com/>
Interesting piece of kit, can be used transversely according to the 
website. Although that might make for interesting reactions when the car 
moves away from (or towards) you as you lift it. Like the portability 
and ease of setup.

I have a lift using a similar principle, but beefed up, made by AC 
Hydraulic :

http://www.profo.cz/files/doc/L20PH.pdf

Had it 20+ years now and still satisfied/irritated with it. Ideal for 
brake and suspension work, exhausts not so much. Works for MX5 (Miata) 
up to 2 tonne 4x4 but needs an assortment of cradle blocks and ramps to 
avoid fouling exhausts on the cross member. But the cross member gives 
stability that won't be there with the Quickjacks. The portability means 
it can be used anywhere there is a stable foundation and a compressed 
air supply. The parallelogram action means that the handbrake should be 
off before lifting and lowering.

AC Hydraulic/Weber make good stuff. I have a 6t trolley jack, good for 
LGV work.

Nick Brearley

[email-masked]

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 07:00:07 -0800

--===============5383177409222658613==

--0000000000001f65c205ba337f50

Hi guys,

I did all of my lifting with a standard 2.5 ton floor jack and four jack
stands for decades.

Although I still have a decent hydraulic floor jack that must be close to
thirty years old now, I do have a four-post lift (Backyard Buddy), and
bought some air jacks to use on with the lift (you cannot use a floor jack
very easily with the lift, though I do have center panels for the lift.

I have found, though, that I use the air jacks now on the floor almost
exclusively instead of the floor jack. They go up so easily, quickly,
controllably, etc., with just one finger and you can watch closely as you
position them..

I bought Zendex (all USA made) and they have two heights (a two bag and a
three bag). The two bag jack is ideal for sports cars (it will slide under
my Lotus Elise,), but barely has enough lift for my GMC cargo van where the
three bagger is much better.

I also use the two bagger on my motorcycles:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=446D39C8B1E43758&id=446D39C8B1E43758%21166810&parId=446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&o=OneUp
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=446D39C8B1E43758&id=446D39C8B1E43758%21166817&parId=446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&o=OneUp

For close work, like lifting a motorcycle high enough to slide an axle
through the wheel and swing arm, these jacks are terrific.

They are a little heavy and a little pricey, though there are cheaper
Chinese copies out there.

Thay make one on wheels that works like a floor jack as well: I have not
used one, but it looks bulky:
https://shop.zendextool.com/GA3620--GoJak%C2%AE-Air%E2%84%A2_p_179.html

I also have the old fashion chain fall on an I-beam trolley that I still
use often:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=446D39C8B1E43758&id=446D39C8B1E43758%21166813&parId=446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&o=OneUp

And the Backyard Buddy:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=446D39C8B1E43758&id=446D39C8B1E43758%21166814&parId=446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&o=OneUp

And if you have motorcycles, you really need one of these:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=446D39C8B1E43758&id=446D39C8B1E43758%21166815&parId=446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&o=OneUp

For lifting purposes I still use a mix of all of them depending upon what
works best for the particular task at hand.

best,

doug

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 2:04 AM nick brearley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000001f65c205ba337f50
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi guys,<div><br></div><div>I did all of my lifting with a=
 standard 2.5 ton floor jack and four jack stands for decades.</div><div><b=
r></div><div>Although I still have a decent hydraulic floor jack that must =
be close to thirty years old now, I do have a four-post lift (Backyard Budd=
y), and bought some air jacks to use on with the lift (you cannot use a flo=
or jack very easily with the lift, though I do have center panels for the l=
ift.<div><br></div><div>I have found, though, that I use the air jacks now =
on the floor almost exclusively instead of the floor jack. They go up so ea=
sily, quickly, controllably, etc., with just one finger and you can watch c=
losely as you position them..</div><div><br></div><div>I bought Zendex (all=
 USA made) and they have two heights (a two bag and a three bag). The two=
=C2=A0bag jack is ideal for sports cars (it will slide under my Lotus Elise=
,), but barely has enough lift for my GMC cargo van where the three bagger =
is much better.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>I also use the two =
bagger on my motorcycles:</div><div><a href=3D"https://onedrive.live.com/?c=
id=3D446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166810&amp;parId=3D446D39=
C8B1E43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp">https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D446D39C=
8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166810&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E43758%2=
1166807&amp;o=3DOneUp</a><br></div><div><a href=3D"https://onedrive.live.co=
m/?cid=3D446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166817&amp;parId=3D44=
6D39C8B1E43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp">https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D446=
D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166817&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E437=
58%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>For close work, =
like lifting a motorcycle high enough to slide an axle through the wheel an=
d swing arm, these jacks are terrific.</div><div><br></div><div>They are a =
little heavy and a little pricey, though there are cheaper Chinese copies o=
ut there.</div><div><br></div><div>Thay make one on wheels that works like =
a floor jack as well: I have not used one, but it looks bulky:</div><div><a=
 href=3D"https://shop.zendextool.com/GA3620--GoJak%C2%AE-Air%E2%84%A2_p_179=
.html">https://shop.zendextool.com/GA3620--GoJak%C2%AE-Air%E2%84%A2_p_179.h=
tml</a><br></div><div><br></div><div>I also have the old fashion chain fall=
 on an I-beam trolley that I still use often:</div><div><a href=3D"https://=
onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%2116681=
3&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp">https://onedrive.liv=
e.com/?cid=3D446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166813&amp;parId=
=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp</a></div><div><br></div><div>And=
 the Backyard Buddy:</div><div><a href=3D"https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D=
446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166814&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E=
43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp">https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D446D39C8B1E4=
3758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166814&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E43758%211668=
07&amp;o=3DOneUp</a></div><div><br></div><div>And if you have motorcycles, =
you really need one of these:</div><div><a href=3D"https://onedrive.live.co=
m/?cid=3D446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166815&amp;parId=3D44=
6D39C8B1E43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp">https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D446=
D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166815&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E437=
58%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp</a></div><div><br></div><div>For lifting purposes=
 I still use a mix of all of them depending upon what works best for the pa=
rticular task at hand.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>best,</div><div><br><=
/div><div>doug</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br><=
/div></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"g=
mail_attr">On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 2:04 AM nick brearley &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><block=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1=
px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
On 31/01/2021 02:24, Jim Franklin wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; But you asked for clever:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://www.quickjack.com/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_b=
lank">https://www.quickjack.com/</a> &lt;<a href=3D"https://www.quickjack.c=
om/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.quickjack.com/</a>&gt=
;<br>
&gt;<br>
Interesting piece of kit, can be used transversely according to the <br>
website. Although that might make for interesting reactions when the car <b=
r>
moves away from (or towards) you as you lift it. Like the portability <br>
and ease of setup.<br>
<br>
I have a lift using a similar principle, but beefed up, made by AC <br>
Hydraulic :<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://www.profo.cz/files/doc/L20PH.pdf" rel=3D"noreferrer" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://www.profo.cz/files/doc/L20PH.pdf</a><br>
<br>
Had it 20+ years now and still satisfied/irritated with it. Ideal for <br>
brake and suspension work, exhausts not so much. Works for MX5 (Miata) <br>
up to 2 tonne 4x4 but needs an assortment of cradle blocks and ramps to <br=
avoid fouling exhausts on the cross member. But the cross member gives <br>
stability that won&#39;t be there with the Quickjacks. The portability mean=
s <br>
it can be used anywhere there is a stable foundation and a compressed <br>
air supply. The parallelogram action means that the handbrake should be <br=
off before lifting and lowering.<br>
<br>
AC Hydraulic/Weber make good stuff. I have a 6t trolley jack, good for <br>
LGV work.<br>
<br>
Nick Brearley<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000001f65c205ba337f50--

--===============5383177409222658613==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5383177409222658613==--