Subject: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:14:08 -0500 01/04/2021 08:14:08 AM, Serialize complete at 01/04/2021 08:14:08 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============7326749738640284768==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0048B4D585258653_=

OK, this is half vent and half "can someone explain why the heck do they 
do this to us?"

I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains horizontally 
and not vertically (where the plug come straight down from the bottom of 
the oil pan.)  This make's oil changes SO much harder and messier.

Then, I've even seen (2018 Ford F150) where it has a frame rail right in 
front of the oil hole and it splashes the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil 
everywhere.  Then, the oil filter has a 'slide' under it to redirect the 
oil to the front of the frame, which is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn't go 
all the way back to under the oil filter!  This means that some oil drips 
under the oil filter while more drips in front of the frame rail about 2 
feet away (meaning no single oil pan can catch both.)  I'm seeing this in 
more and more cars that have stupid oil drains.

Now I get that engines are sometime designed in a vacuum and the frame 
builders don't care what is in the way, but it just seems that for optimal 
oil changes, a plug should be at the bottom of the pan.  With all the 
environmental concerns, I would also imagine that any way to prevent oil 
spills and splashes would be ideal.

Can anyone explain this?  Or is it just a case of designers really HATE 
mechanics?

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 0048B4D585258653_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">OK, this is half vent and half &quot;can
someone explain why the heck do they do this to us?&quot;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I notice that just about EVERY modern's
car drain plug drains horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come
straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.) &nbsp;This make's oil changes
SO much harder and messier.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then, I've even seen (2018 Ford F150)
where it has a frame rail right in front of the oil hole and it splashes
the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil everywhere. &nbsp;Then, the oil filter has
a 'slide' under it to redirect the oil to the front of the frame, which
is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn't go all the way back to under the oil filter!
&nbsp;This means that some oil drips under the oil filter while more drips
in front of the frame rail about 2 feet away (meaning no single oil pan
can catch both.) &nbsp;I'm seeing this in more and more cars that have
stupid oil drains.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Now I get that engines are sometime
designed in a vacuum and the frame builders don't care what is in the way,
but it just seems that for optimal oil changes, a plug should be at the
bottom of the pan. &nbsp;With all the environmental concerns, I would also
imagine that any way to prevent oil spills and splashes would be ideal.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Can anyone explain this? &nbsp;Or is
it just a case of designers really HATE mechanics?</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 0048B4D585258653_=--

--===============7326749738640284768==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============7326749738640284768==--