Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 03:46:23 GMT

--===============3499343983876102128==

----__JWM__J4f7a884f.7cb49639S.2c399f13M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

I had studded tires for a while when I lived in AK but I bought them new=
, ready to go with the studs installed.  If you can&rsquo;t find some li=
ke that for your application, chains might be an easier solution or even=
 some of the fabric solutions.  Good luck!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:16:28 -0500

A gazillion years ago (before the invention of dirt) I wanted to put stu=
dded snow tires on my daily driver MGA. (I lived in Massachusetts then.)=
 Tire stores were not allowed to sell studded snow tires. But they could=
 sell snow tires and a package of studs for the DIY'er to install. The t=
ires had a series of holes molded into the tread. The package of studs -=
 they looked like solid rivets - came with an installation tool sort of =
like a screwdriver handle. Put the stud into the end of the tool, press =
the head of the stud into the holes molded into the tread and push until=
 they were seated. It was a lot of work but I was young and hearty. As I=
 recall, the studs had to be installed before the tires were driven on -=
 I assume that otherwise the holes might get filled with dirt (a new inv=
ention) preventing the studs from being fully seated.
Eric Russell
 Mebane, NC
 On 12/17/2020 12:51 PM, [email-masked] wrote:OK, I'm looking to put =
studs on my zero turn tractor for when I'm plowing snow. &#65533;Is ther=
e any 'method' to putting them on? &#65533;How many per tire? &#65533;Pa=
tterns? &#65533;The tires are a knobby design and work pretty good in th=
e snow already, but once the snow packs a little to ice, they can't get =
any bite. &#65533;So I figured some studs would be perfect. =

----__JWM__J4f7a884f.7cb49639S.2c399f13M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>I had studded tires for a while when I lived in AK but I boug=
ht them new, ready to go with the studs installed. &nbsp;If you can&rsqu=
o;t find some like that for your application, chains might be an easier =
solution or even some of the fabric solutions. &nbsp;Good luck!</div>
<div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: Eric Russel=
l &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Subjec=
t: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs<br>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:16:28 -0500<b=
r><br></p>
<p>A gazillion years ago (before the invention of dirt) I wanted to put =
studded snow tires on my daily driver MGA. (I lived in Massachusetts the=
n.) Tire stores were not allowed to sell studded snow tires. But they co=
uld sell snow tires and a package of studs for the DIY'er to install. Th=
e tires had a series of holes molded into the tread. The package of stud=
s - they looked like solid rivets - came with an installation tool sort =
of like a screwdriver handle. Put the stud into the end of the tool, pre=
ss the head of the stud into the holes molded into the tread and push un=
til they were seated. It was a lot of work but I was young and hearty. A=
s I recall, the studs had to be installed before the tires were driven o=
n - I assume that otherwise the holes might get filled with dirt (a new =
invention) preventing the studs from being fully seated.</p>
<p>Eric Russell<br> Mebane, NC</p>
<div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">&nbsp;</div>
<div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 12/17/2020 12:51 PM, <a class=3D"moz-t=
xt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]=
</a> wrote:</div>
<blockquote cite=3D"mid:OF85A47AB2.EC6FA9FD-ON85258641.006166BD-85258641=
[email-masked]"><span style=3D"font-family: sans-serif; fon=
t-size: small;">OK, I'm looking to put studs on my zero turn tractor for=
 when I'm plowing snow. &#65533;Is there any 'method' to putting them on=
? &#65533;How many per tire? &#65533;Patterns? &#65533;The tires are a k=
nobby design and work pretty good in the snow already, but once the snow=
 packs a little to ice, they can't get any bite. &#65533;So I figured so=
me studs would be perfect.</span></blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p></html>

----__JWM__J4f7a884f.7cb49639S.2c399f13M--

--===============3499343983876102128==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3499343983876102128==--