Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cooling of air compressor

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 18:15:03 -0400

--===============5690417118847889809==
	boundary="=====================_15624779==.ALT"

--=====================_15624779==.ALT

At 05:39 PM 10/23/2020, Robert Nogueirao wrote:

 >I've got a two stage 80 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor which 
is mounted in
 >a small shead atached to the back of the garage.....

 >Anyway when the compressor started up with the new nest inside the squirrel
 >cage blower the fan was blown to bits but nothing else was damaged. THE
 >PROBLEM:   Campbell Hausfeld no longer carries parts and a search 
online found
 >no blowers which look like the would work. So the question is is 
the cooling air
 >blowing over the cylinders important enough that I should shut the 
compressor
 >Down until blower can be found or will occasional use be okay.? Bob Nogueira

Bob,

I hope your shed is well ventelated.  I have a Craftsman 30gal horizontal 5hp
compressor that I've had since about 93.  It's on wheels so it can be 
rolled around.
When I first got it, it was sitting out in the middle of my garage 
and the only air
being forced across it was what the blades on the drive wheel 
had.  Then I built a
work bench and put the compressor under that with very little air 
flow around the
compressor.  So I took an old box fan and hung it from the bottom of my work
bench next to the compressor.  So when I turn on the compressor I turn on the
box fan and I think it gets a good bit of are moving by it.  Like 
yours mine isn't
seeing the work up it use to get, from sanding & paint cars, to 
running a blasting
cabinet, and a pressure blaster in the back yard.  But it's still 
going some 25+
years later.  So I think the box fan really helped.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_15624779==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 05:39 PM 10/23/2020, Robert Nogueirao wrote:<br><br>
&gt;I've got a two stage 80 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor which is
mounted in <br>
&gt;a small shead atached to the back of the garage.....<br><br>
&gt;Anyway when the compressor started up with the new nest inside the
squirrel <br>
&gt;cage blower the fan was blown to bits but nothing else was damaged.
THE <br>
&gt;PROBLEM:&nbsp;&nbsp; Campbell Hausfeld no longer carries parts and a
search online found <br>
&gt;no blowers which look like the would work. So the question is is the
cooling air <br>
&gt;blowing over the cylinders important enough that I should shut the
compressor <br>
&gt;Down until blower can be found or will occasional use be okay.? Bob
Nogueira <br><br>
Bob,<br><br>
I hope your shed is well ventelated.&nbsp; I have a Craftsman 30gal
horizontal 5hp <br>
compressor that I've had since about 93.&nbsp; It's on wheels so it can
be rolled around.<br>
When I first got it, it was sitting out in the middle of my garage and
the only air <br>
being forced across it was what the blades on the drive wheel had.&nbsp;
Then I built a<br>
work bench and put the compressor under that with very little air flow
around the <br>
compressor.&nbsp; So I took an old box fan and hung it from the bottom of
my work<br>
bench next to the compressor.&nbsp; So when I turn on the compressor I
turn on the <br>
box fan and I think it gets a good bit of are moving by it.&nbsp; Like
yours mine isn't <br>
seeing the work up it use to get, from sanding &amp; paint cars, to
running a blasting<br>
cabinet, and a pressure blaster in the back yard.&nbsp; But it's still
going some 25+ <br>
years later.&nbsp; So I think the box fan really helped.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2">
<br /><br />
<hr style='border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: 1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style='border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=0 src="https://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png" alt="Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style='color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
<a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_15624779==.ALT--

--===============5690417118847889809==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============5690417118847889809==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 18:27:45 -0400

I can't imagine that occasional use would be a problem. I assume the 
compressor fills a tank and only comes on when the tank pressure drops 
below a set amount. If you wanted to use it for longer can you aim a box 
fan at it?

Check with HVAC parts suppliers. Maybe there is a squirrel cage fan 
there that would fit?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

On 10/23/2020 5:39 PM, Robert Nogueirao wrote:
> ...when the compressor started up with the new nest inside the squirrel cage blower the fan was blown to bits but nothing else was damaged.
> THE PROBLEM:   Campbell Hausfeld no longer carries parts and a search online found no blowers which look like the would work. So the question is is the cooling air blowing over the cylinders important enough that I should shut the compressor Down until blower can be found or will occasional use be okay.?
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 20:50:39 -0400

I use my small 25 gallon air compressor to winterize my sprinkler 
system.  The pros use a tow-behind compressor that produces enough cfm 
that they can blow out each zone in a minute or less.  My little 
compressor can't come close to that so it takes 4-5 tank-fulls per 
zone.  So the compressor winds up running for 90+ minutes continuously 
while I cycle through the system.  One year I noticed the compressor 
fins were so hot that I couldn't touch them for more than a second or 
so. Ever since then, I've aimed an 18" metal floor fan at the compressor 
when I need to run it continuously like that.  Now the compressor 
housing and motor don't go above lukewarm to the touch.

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary but I have to think that 
cooler is better in this case.

On 2020-10-23 17:39, Robert Nogueirao wrote:
> I’ve got a two stage 80 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor which is mounted in a small shead atached to the back of the garage. It has served well for the past twenties years giving me no problems. It Is seeing far least uses in the last few years oon
> Y providing tire air and the occasional blowing off of dust.
>      I went into the shead yesterday to drain water from the tank and it appears a rodent had taken up residents there making a nest in the squirrel cage fan which is fitted to the compressor to cool the cylinders. The flywheel also has fan type blades but they appear to be more of a ‘ what to hell why not’ addition than a attempt to provide air movement. Anyway when the compressor started up with the new nest inside the squirrel cage blower the fan was blown to bits but nothing else was damaged.
> Bob Nogueira
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]