Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Kitchen vent hood?

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:12:32 -0500

Looks like the “vent” in my parents house that was built in 1950. Just a 6x6 hole in the ceiling & roof. 

I have been building houses with Habitat for Humanity for about 35 years. They use cheap hoods, which I wouldn’t recommend. Over the years the homes have had their share of rain leaking in around the flue so we went to venting through the wall instead. No more problems. 

Now, because you want some serious venting, wall venting may not work for you unless you can go vertically unto the attic, then out through a gable end wall. 

The quietest/strongest/most affordable  fans will probably have the fan unit in the duct In the attic. Fairly common on higher end homes & easy to source parts for down the road. 

The last vent fan I bought for a rental unit was a Broan PM390. It’s an insert that goes in a custom cabinet. It’s a squirrel cage rather than just a fan blade. The fan is fine but the light is terrible. It definitely needs a DIY light upgrade to better lighting than what can be screwed into the sockets. I won’t complain, it was new on ebay for $25 plus $50 shipping. 

Please let us know what you go with. 

Keep safe. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Sep 19, 2020, at 10:46 AM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:

The stove needing venting.

mjb.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 12:44:11 -0400

My stove hood has a fan in the attic that then vents out the side 
wall.  Definitely quieter.  They make different cfm models.  If you 
have a reasonably tight house and a fireplace or furnace, a big fan 
can reverse the flow in the flue and cause CO or smoke 
problems.  It's not usually a problem with typical consumer stuff, 
but if you want to suck pets into space like Jim, you should consider 
where the replacement air is going to come from.

-Steve T.

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 12:47:59 -0400

--===============3544015944873878362==

--000000000000c737c205afad615e

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Pat Horne <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Now, because you want some serious venting, wall venting may not work for
> you unless you can go vertically unto the attic, then out through a gable
> end wall.

My vent hood looks like it goes out the roof, but there's another story
above the kitchen.  Instead, it goes into a 3" by 14" duct that gows down
through the stud bay and into the crawl space and outside through a grill
on the exterior wall (under the deck, as it happens).

Many ways to route the vent; some of them are more involved than others.  A
remote fan sounds interesting.

--000000000000c737c205afad615e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">=
<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Pat =
Horne &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px=
 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br=
Now, because you want some serious venting, wall venting may not work for y=
ou unless you can go vertically unto the attic, then out through a gable en=
d wall. </blockquote><div><br></div><div>My vent hood looks like it goes ou=
t the roof, but there&#39;s another=C2=A0story above the kitchen.=C2=A0 Ins=
tead, it goes into a 3&quot; by 14&quot; duct that gows=C2=A0down through t=
he stud bay and into the crawl space and outside through a grill on the ext=
erior wall (under the deck, as it happens).</div><div><br></div><div>Many w=
ays to route the vent; some of them are more involved than others.=C2=A0 A =
remote fan sounds interesting.</div><div>=C2=A0</div></div></div>

--000000000000c737c205afad615e--

--===============3544015944873878362==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3544015944873878362==--

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:38:09 -0700

> I have been building houses with Habitat for Humanity for about 35
> years. They use cheap hoods, which I wouldn’t recommend. Over the
> years the homes have had their share of rain leaking in around the
> flue so we went to venting through the wall instead. No more
> problems.

FWIW we our house is kinda the opposite, we have two custom-made Abbaka
(http://abbaka.com/abbaka-original-custom-range-hoods/) hoods, they look 
very much like the ones in this pic except stainless and our tall one is 
even taller than the left one.

The tall one is the main hood, and because of it being sited between two 
openable skylights (you can't have any venting into the house near sewer 
vent, range hood, etc. exhausts) it's ducted along and down the truss 
bays to a big Thermador R2D2 roof-mounted remote blower.  Yes, it'd 
eject small animals at least two counties away.

The Thermador blower has two speeds, it and the lights in the hood are 
switched through our Lutron lighting control system, delays had to be 
coded into the switching to ensure that both speeds were not enabled at 
the same time which apparently results in a smoking bit of tin up on the 
roof.

What can I say, it was the 'net boom.  Love the range hoods, but great 
as the Lutron stuff has been, you could now do what it does for 0.08X 
what it cost.

The smaller hood over the Yick wok burner (that my wife wanted badly but 
never uses...) has an internal blower and vents further down the roof 
near the eaves, it also works well.

I hadn't realized there were places that don't have range hoods, except 
for those benighted cooktops with the blowers that suck laterally and 
down through the crawlspace...

The contractor installed the tall hood with some blocking to adjacent 
truss lower chords, I leaned on it and it flexed half an inch.  I told 
him "this sucks let me do this" and welded up a frame that ties it to 
four lower truss chords laterally and up and down the nearest chords 
about three feet in either direction, dragged it up there in three 
pieces and bolted it all together.  It don't damn well move now.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:07:49 -0700

> the same time which apparently results in a smoking bit of tin up on the 

By the way, the fact that we have seven power skylights was not 
intentional, it was supposed to be two power and five fixed, but the 
firm we ordered from screwed up.  They made us a great deal on them, so 
they're here.

In a way I'm glad it worked out that way, because back when we bought it 
and it was a poorly-insulated 1965 Sunset Magazine example one of the 
first things we did in the first six months was AC and it ran four 
months a year.  This in the temperate norcal Bay Area.

Now, with the high roofs and the skylights for ventilation in/out on 
opposite sides of the peak, we use it six maybe ten days a year.

John.

[email-masked]