Subject: [Shop-talk] ohms law help

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 15:22:27 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format

--===============5127272601346886182==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format

--O1NuzDczNgtaeZgdMFue9G=_kJUeGXKq6t
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

been a long time since I used this   =20

175 watt ac/dc converter
12 volt dc

looking for amp draw off battery

power/voltage =3D amps

175/12 =3D 14.5 amps    right ??    and 10' of 12 gauge wire should do=
 it  right ??

thanks
john

--O1NuzDczNgtaeZgdMFue9G=_kJUeGXKq6t
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css> body { margin:0.7em; } body.OECFntDef, body.OE=
CFntDef div { font-family:"Segoe UI",Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:12pt; }</STYLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.10570.1001"></HEAD>
<BODY spellcheck=3Dtrue class=3DOECFntDef>
<DIV>been a long time since I used this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>175 watt ac/dc converter</DIV>
<DIV>12 volt dc</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>looking for amp draw off battery</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>power/voltage =3D amps</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>175/12 =3D 14.5 amps&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; right ??&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
 and 10' of 12 gauge wire should do it&nbsp; right ??</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>thanks</DIV>
<DIV>john</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--O1NuzDczNgtaeZgdMFue9G=_kJUeGXKq6t--

--===============5127272601346886182==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============5127272601346886182==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 17:01:46 -0400

--===============8608797432308514211==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_D191F046-30BF-41A1-B669-8A5147D6B7A5"

--Apple-Mail=_D191F046-30BF-41A1-B669-8A5147D6B7A5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

Any converter will have some inefficiency which is lost as heat. You =
need to find out what that 175 means. It sounds like it means the useful =
side of the converter which means the input will be higher. I'm guessing =
you already tried looking for a label or specs online?=20

jim

> On Sep 26, 2020, at 4:22 PM, john niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> =20
> =20
> =20
> =20
> =20
> 175/12 =3D 14.5 amps    right ??    and 10' of 12 gauge wire should do =
it  right ??
> =20
> =20
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk> http://autox.team.net/archive =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_D191F046-30BF-41A1-B669-8A5147D6B7A5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">Any =
converter will have some inefficiency which is lost as heat. You need to =
find out what that 175 means. It sounds like it means the useful side of =
the converter which means the input will be higher. I'm guessing you =
already tried looking for a label or specs online?&nbsp;<div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div><br=
 class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Sep =
26, 2020, at 4:22 PM, john niolon &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">been =
a long time since I used this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div =
style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><div style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;" class=3D"">175 watt ac/dc converter</div><div style=3D"font-family:=
 &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">12 volt dc</div><div =
style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><div style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;" class=3D"">looking for amp draw off battery</div><div =
style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" =
class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><div style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: =
none;" class=3D"">power/voltage =3D amps</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">175/12 =3D 14.5 =
amps&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; right ??&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and 10' of 12 gauge =
wire should do it&nbsp; right ??</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">thanks</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">john</div><div style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D"">&nbsp;</div><span style=3D"caret-color:=
 rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, =
Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" style=3D"font-family: =
&quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; =
font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, =
Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe =
UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: =
16px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, =
Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench=
.org" style=3D"font-family: &quot;Segoe UI&quot;, Tahoma, Verdana, =
Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbe=
nch.org</a></div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_D191F046-30BF-41A1-B669-8A5147D6B7A5--

--===============8608797432308514211==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8608797432308514211==--

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 16:25:00 -0500

What Jim said. 

Is there a supply side fuse on it? If so, I’d select wire size to equal to or greater than the fuse rating. 

It’s been a long time for me too but i seem to remember that inverters were only 60-70% efficient. Newer ones are better. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Sep 26, 2020, at 3:26 PM, john niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:

been a long time since I used this    
 
175 watt ac/dc converter
12 volt dc

power/voltage = amps

175/12 = 14.5 amps    right ??    and 10' of 12 gauge wire should do it  right ??
 
thanks
john

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 11:16:05 +0000 (UTC)

--===============6651297721673388278==
	boundary="----=_Part_1133941_1193995851.1601205365673"

------=_Part_1133941_1193995851.1601205365673
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 The real question is what are you powering?=C2=A0 A 175 watt inverter powe=
ring a 100W load will draw 100W/12V =3D 8.3A.=C2=A0 Just because the invert=
er has a 175 capacity it will draw only the power it needs to run the load.=
=C2=A0 So if you have a specific load in mind start there.=C2=A0 If this is=
 for generic use then go with the capacity.

Then factor in efficiency which on any modern inverter is in the 85-95% ran=
ge.=C2=A0 So your 14.5 amps could be 17 amps.=C2=A0=20

Also consider that a 12 gauge wire has a resistance of 2.5 Ohms per 1000ft.=
=C2=A0 A 10 foot run there an back is a total of 20 ft.=C2=A0 So=20
2.5*20/1000 =3D .05 Ohms.=C2=A0 At 17 amps you will get a voltage drop of .=
85 volts.=C2=A0 Not an issue since an automotive battery typically produces=
 13 to 13.5 and a functioning alternator runs at 14 volts or more.=C2=A0 Bu=
t if you were making a longer run the voltage drop could be more of a wire =
size determinant than the wire's capacity.
Lastly, check the nameplate data.=C2=A0 Per UL, CSA, IEC, etc standard thes=
e devices will have a name plate indicating the power in (worst case) and t=
he power out (max ratings).
Other than that it's pretty simple.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: john niolon <[email-masked]>
To: shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat, Sep 26, 2020 3:22 pm
Subject: [Shop-talk] ohms law help

#yiv4470871034 body {margin:0.7em;}#yiv4470871034 body.yiv4470871034OECFntD=
ef, #yiv4470871034 body.yiv4470871034OECFntDef div {font-family:"Segoe UI",=
 Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;} been a long=
 time since I used this=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0175 watt ac/dc convert=
er12 volt dc=C2=A0looking for amp draw off battery=C2=A0power/voltage =3D a=
mps=C2=A0=C2=A0175/12 =3D 14.5 amps=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 right ??=C2=A0=C2=A0=
=C2=A0 and 10' of 12 gauge wire should do it=C2=A0 right ??=C2=A0thanksjohn=
=C2=A0_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive

[email-masked]

------=_Part_1133941_1193995851.1601205365673
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">The real question is what are you powering?&nbsp; A 175 watt inverter powering a 100W load will draw 100W/12V = 8.3A.&nbsp; Just because the inverter has a 175 capacity it will draw only the power it needs to run the load.&nbsp; So if you have a specific load in mind start there.&nbsp; If this is for generic use then go with the capacity.<br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Then factor in efficiency which on any modern inverter is in the 85-95% range.&nbsp; So your 14.5 amps could be 17 amps.&nbsp; <br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Also consider that a 12 gauge wire has a resistance of 2.5 Ohms per 1000ft.&nbsp; A 10 foot run there an back is a total of 20 ft.&nbsp; So <br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">2.5*20/1000 = .05 Ohms.&nbsp; At 17 amps you will get a voltage drop of .85 volts.&nbsp; Not an issue since an automotive battery typically produces 13 to 13.5 and a functioning alternator runs at 14 volts or more.&nbsp; But if you were making a longer run the voltage drop could be more of a wire size determinant than the wire's capacity.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Lastly, check the nameplate data.&nbsp; Per UL, CSA, IEC, etc standard these devices will have a name plate indicating the power in (worst case) and the power out (max ratings).</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">Other than that it's pretty simple.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: john niolon &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: shop-talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Sat, Sep 26, 2020 3:22 pm<br>
Subject: [Shop-talk] ohms law help<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv4470871034">
<style type="text/css">#yiv4470871034 body {margin:0.7em;}#yiv4470871034 body.yiv4470871034OECFntDef, #yiv4470871034 body.yiv4470871034OECFntDef div {font-family:"Segoe UI", Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;}</style>

<div>

<div>been a long time since I used this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>175 watt ac/dc converter</div>

<div>12 volt dc</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>looking for amp draw off battery</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>power/voltage = amps</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>175/12 = 14.5 amps&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; right ??&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; and 10' of 12 gauge wire should do it&nbsp; right ??</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>

<div>thanks</div>

<div>john</div>

<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk </a><a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_1133941_1193995851.1601205365673--

--===============6651297721673388278==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6651297721673388278==--