Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Solar driveway runway lights?

From: Donald H Locker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:53:44 -0400

Would reflector posts work for you? Good reflectors would be very
visible, cost less, and require less maintenance than lighted markers.
<https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/road-markers/set-of-ten> As long as
your reversing lamps work and the snow is not _too_ high, these will be
visible.

To make them directional, paint the side you don't want visible.

HTH,
Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\ <https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>

On 2020-09-17 9:31 a.m., Jim Franklin wrote:
> It's impossible to back down my driveway at night because of the lack of light, so I need to add something. Ideally I'd have something like this; double ideally they'd be directional so they were only visible to someone backing down the driveway. And they'd need to be somewhat stout to deal with weather, errant feet, etc., but I think that's mostly an installation issue. Have any of you done anything like this? 
> 
> The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get into but it gives you an idea. I'd like solar powered with a daylight sensor. I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky pathway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget. 
> 
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14847873742968238/
> 
> thanks,
> jim
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:31:19 -0500

--===============7873348145501514096==

--00000000000058b41605af833fcf

Jim,

I am doing the same thing now (driveway and parking pad lights). There's no
way I'd try to do what that guy did and build LEDs.

My driveway is 350 feet and I didn't want to run power either, but the
independent solar lights were too flimsy and too dim. Right now I'm torn
between just LED rope lights or discrete lights. The rope lights mean I
would have to build something over them to protect them, the discrete
lights seem to require more power and are more expensive to buy but would
be quicker once I bought them--you just wire them, stick them in and go.

So...I don't have a good answer, just that I haven't found a solar-powered
option either and the wiring was actually one of the easiest parts. If you
do, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Scott

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's impossible to back down my driveway at night because of the lack of
> light, so I need to add something. Ideally I'd have something like this;
> double ideally they'd be directional so they were only visible to someone
> backing down the driveway. And they'd need to be somewhat stout to deal
> with weather, errant feet, etc., but I think that's mostly an installation
> issue. Have any of you done anything like this?
>
> The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get
> into but it gives you an idea. I'd like solar powered with a daylight
> sensor. I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky
> pathway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000058b41605af833fcf
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Jim,<div><br></div><div>I am doing the same thing now (dri=
veway and parking pad lights). There&#39;s no way I&#39;d try to do what th=
at guy did and build LEDs.</div><div><br></div><div>My driveway is 350 feet=
 and I didn&#39;t want to run power either, but the independent solar light=
s were too flimsy and too dim. Right now I&#39;m torn between just LED rope=
 lights or discrete lights. The rope lights mean I would have to build some=
thing over them to protect them, the discrete lights seem to require more p=
ower and are more expensive to buy but would be quicker once I bought them-=
-you just wire them, stick them in and go.</div><div><br></div><div>So...I =
don&#39;t have a good answer, just that I haven&#39;t found a solar-powered=
 option either and the wiring was actually one of the easiest parts. If you=
 do, I&#39;d be interested to hear about it.</div><div><br></div><div>Scott=
</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_=
attr">On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 8:32 AM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ja=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><block=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1=
px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">It&#39;s impossible to back dow=
n my driveway at night because of the lack of light, so I need to add somet=
hing. Ideally I&#39;d have something like this; double ideally they&#39;d b=
e directional so they were only visible to someone backing down the drivewa=
y. And they&#39;d need to be somewhat stout to deal with weather, errant fe=
et, etc., but I think that&#39;s mostly an installation issue. Have any of =
you done anything like this? <br>
<br>
The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get into=
 but it gives you an idea. I&#39;d like solar powered with a daylight senso=
r. I don&#39;t have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky pat=
hway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget. <br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14847873742968238/" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14847873742968238/</a>=
<br>
<br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<=
/a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000058b41605af833fcf--

--===============7873348145501514096==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7873348145501514096==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:02:00 -0400

I did the lollipop snowplow reflectors and they kept twisting in the wind so I'd need to go correct them every once in a while, plus they looked hokey. But, they worked. A reflector post, like on roadsides, on a 4x4, now you have me thinking. One issue that comes to mind is, people walking up the driveway could trip on them, especially when the garage carriage lights are relatively bright compared to everything else in their field of view and would blind them to ground based obstacles. 

Maybe I need some kind of top reflector as well. Hmm. 

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Donald H Locker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:04:26 -0700

--===============7670355280786763453==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_F2929457-081C-461A-BB14-3CBD23B2C733"

--Apple-Mail=_F2929457-081C-461A-BB14-3CBD23B2C733
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

What about the reflector dots they use on the street?=20

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 8:02 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> I did the lollipop snowplow reflectors and they kept twisting in the =
wind so I'd need to go correct them every once in a while, plus they =
looked hokey. But, they worked. A reflector post, like on roadsides, on =
a 4x4, now you have me thinking. One issue that comes to mind is, people =
walking up the driveway could trip on them, especially when the garage =
carriage lights are relatively bright compared to everything else in =
their field of view and would blind them to ground based obstacles.=20
>=20
> Maybe I need some kind of top reflector as well. Hmm.=20

--Apple-Mail=_F2929457-081C-461A-BB14-3CBD23B2C733
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D""><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>What about the reflector dots they use =
on the street?&nbsp;<br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote =
type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Sep 17, 2020, at 8:02 AM, =
Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">I did the lollipop snowplow =
reflectors and they kept twisting in the wind so I'd need to go correct =
them every once in a while, plus they looked hokey. But, they worked. A =
reflector post, like on roadsides, on a 4x4, now you have me thinking. =
One issue that comes to mind is, people walking up the driveway could =
trip on them, especially when the garage carriage lights are relatively =
bright compared to everything else in their field of view and would =
blind them to ground based obstacles.<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Maybe I need some kind of top =
reflector as well. Hmm.<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></div></blockquote></d=
iv><br class=3D""></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_F2929457-081C-461A-BB14-3CBD23B2C733--

--===============7670355280786763453==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7670355280786763453==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:43:09 -0400

--===============7650581983507219370==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_28FFFDC8-0FC2-4CBD-A1E3-FEEB822A3055"

--Apple-Mail=_28FFFDC8-0FC2-4CBD-A1E3-FEEB822A3055
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

To be visible as one is walking up the driveway, they'd need a light =
source behind me. The ones I've seen in the street have reflectors front =
and back, to reflect headlights. I could probably come up with an =
elaborate multi-reflector contraption for using the garage lights to =
illuminate the backside of the unit, but at that point it's not worth =
it. I need about 20 units.=20

jim

> On Sep 17, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Darrell Walker <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>> On Sep 17, 2020, at 8:02 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked] =
>>=20
>> Maybe I need some kind of top reflector as well. Hmm.=20

--Apple-Mail=_28FFFDC8-0FC2-4CBD-A1E3-FEEB822A3055
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">To =
be visible as one is walking up the driveway, they'd need a light source =
behind me. The ones I've seen in the street have reflectors front and =
back, to reflect headlights. I could probably come up with an elaborate =
multi-reflector contraption for using the garage lights to illuminate =
the backside of the unit, but at that point it's not worth it. I need =
about 20 units.&nbsp;<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite"=
 class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Sep 17, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Darrell Walker =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D""><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div>What about the reflector dots they use on the =
street?&nbsp;<br class=3D""><div class=3D""><br class=3D""><blockquote =
type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Sep 17, 2020, at 8:02 AM, =
Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">I did the lollipop snowplow =
reflectors and they kept twisting in the wind so I'd need to go correct =
them every once in a while, plus they looked hokey. But, they worked. A =
reflector post, like on roadsides, on a 4x4, now you have me thinking. =
One issue that comes to mind is, people walking up the driveway could =
trip on them, especially when the garage carriage lights are relatively =
bright compared to everything else in their field of view and would =
blind them to ground based obstacles.<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Maybe I need some kind of top =
reflector as well. Hmm.<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span></div></blockquote></d=
iv><br class=3D""></div></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_28FFFDC8-0FC2-4CBD-A1E3-FEEB822A3055--

--===============7650581983507219370==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7650581983507219370==--

---

From: RandE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:04:17 -0500

--===============2543655232422182501==

--0000000000000cc6db05af848aa9

Maybe reflective tape or paint.  Make a stripe down the edge of the drive.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:46 AM Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> To be visible as one is walking up the driveway, they'd need a light
> source behind me. The ones I've seen in the street have reflectors front
> and back, to reflect headlights. I could probably come up with an elaborate
> multi-reflector contraption for using the garage lights to illuminate the
> backside of the unit, but at that point it's not worth it. I need about 20
> units.
>
> jim
>
> On Sep 17, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Darrell Walker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> What about the reflector dots they use on the street?
>
> On Sep 17, 2020, at 8:02 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I did the lollipop snowplow reflectors and they kept twisting in the wind
> so I'd need to go correct them every once in a while, plus they looked
> hokey. But, they worked. A reflector post, like on roadsides, on a 4x4, now
> you have me thinking. One issue that comes to mind is, people walking up
> the driveway could trip on them, especially when the garage carriage lights
> are relatively bright compared to everything else in their field of view
> and would blind them to ground based obstacles.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000000cc6db05af848aa9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div><div dir=3D"auto">Maybe reflective tape or paint.=C2=A0 Make a stripe =
down the edge of the drive.</div></div><div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">=
<div>On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:46 AM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ja=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><block=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc=
 solid;padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;line-break:afte=
r-white-space">To be visible as one is walking up the driveway, they&#39;d =
need a light source behind me. The ones I&#39;ve seen in the street have re=
flectors front and back, to reflect headlights. I could probably come up wi=
th an elaborate multi-reflector contraption for using the garage lights to =
illuminate the backside of the unit, but at that point it&#39;s not worth i=
t. I need about 20 units.=C2=A0</div><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;lin=
e-break:after-white-space"><div><br></div><div>jim<br><div><br><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>On Sep 17, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Darrell Walker &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&g=
t; wrote:</div><br><div><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word;line-break:after=
-white-space"><div><br></div>What about the reflector dots they use on the =
street?=C2=A0<br><div><br><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>On Sep 17, 2020, a=
t 8:02 AM, Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" targe=
t=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br><div><span styl=
e=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;font-style:normal;font-variant-ca=
ps:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-in=
dent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decor=
ation:none;float:none;display:inline!important">I did the lollipop snowplow=
 reflectors and they kept twisting in the wind so I&#39;d need to go correc=
t them every once in a while, plus they looked hokey. But, they worked. A r=
eflector post, like on roadsides, on a 4x4, now you have me thinking. One i=
ssue that comes to mind is, people walking up the driveway could trip on th=
em, especially when the garage carriage lights are relatively bright compar=
ed to everything else in their field of view and would blind them to ground=
 based obstacles.<span>=C2=A0</span></span><br style=3D"font-family:Helveti=
ca;font-size:12px;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:no=
rmal;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:=
none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoration:none"><br style=3D=
"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;font-style:normal;font-variant-caps:n=
ormal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-align:start;text-indent=
:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-decoratio=
n:none"><span style=3D"font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;font-style:norm=
al;font-variant-caps:normal;font-weight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;text-a=
lign:start;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spac=
ing:0px;text-decoration:none;float:none;display:inline!important">Maybe I n=
eed some kind of top reflector as well. Hmm.<span>=C2=A0</span></span></div=
></blockquote></div><br></div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div>____=
___________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--0000000000000cc6db05af848aa9--

--===============2543655232422182501==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2543655232422182501==--

---

From: [email-masked] ZFNn0IFTHgEzOjq9+82rfxaQh87hpn3m/jUwSi3b9EBmgw85OkfG8pZbIRiPDXTCyHzY18rLt932aw==
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 17:18:01 +0100

--===============0777823684866706678==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------IDQIZG3388BHBPL4ATJ0NLN5TDPYIF
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Maybe just white painted posts would be enough=2E Where I reverse park my c=
ar I have a white plant pot which makes it easier to spot where the edge is=
=2E

On 17 September 2020 16:02:00 BST, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench=2Eorg>=
 wrote:
>I did the lollipop snowplow reflectors and they kept twisting in the
>wind so I'd need to go correct them every once in a while, plus they
>looked hokey=2E But, they worked=2E A reflector post, like on roadsides, =
on
>a 4x4, now you have me thinking=2E One issue that comes to mind is,
>people walking up the driveway could trip on them, especially when the
>garage carriage lights are relatively bright compared to everything
>else in their field of view and would blind them to ground based
>obstacles=2E=20
>
>Maybe I need some kind of top reflector as well=2E Hmm=2E=20
>
>> On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast=2Enet>
>wrote:
>>=20
>> visible, cost less, and require less maintenance than lighted
>markers=2E
>> <https://www=2Etrafficsafetystore=2Ecom/road-markers/set-of-ten> As lon=
g
>as
>> visible=2E
>> To make them directional, paint the side you don't want visible=2E
>>=20
>> HTH,
>> Donald=2E
>> --
>> /\ <https://www=2Egeorgedillon=2Ecom/web/html_email_is_evil=2Eshtml>
>>=20
>> On 2020-09-17 9:31 a=2Em=2E, Jim Franklin wrote:
>>> It's impossible to back down my driveway at night because of the
>lack of light, so I need to add something=2E Ideally I'd have something
>like this; double ideally they'd be directional so they were only
>visible to someone backing down the driveway=2E And they'd need to be
>somewhat stout to deal with weather, errant feet, etc=2E, but I think
>that's mostly an installation issue=2E Have any of you done anything like
>this?=20
>>>=20
>>> The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to
>get into but it gives you an idea=2E I'd like solar powered with a
>daylight sensor=2E I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway=
=2E
>The bulky pathway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget=2E=20
>>>=20
>>> https://www=2Epinterest=2Ecom/pin/14847873742968238/
>>>=20
>>> thanks,
>>> jim
>Shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet
>Donate: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml
>Suggested annual donation  $12=2E96
>Archive: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk=
=2Enet

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
------IDQIZG3388BHBPL4ATJ0NLN5TDPYIF
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body>Maybe just white painted posts would be enough=2E =
Where I reverse park my car I have a white plant pot which makes it easier =
to spot where the edge is=2E<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 17 Septem=
ber 2020 16:02:00 BST, Jim Franklin &lt;jamesf@groupwbench=2Eorg&gt; wrote:=
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; bor=
der-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">I did the lollipop snowplow reflectors and they kept=
 twisting in the wind so I'd need to go correct them every once in a while,=
 plus they looked hokey=2E But, they worked=2E A reflector post, like on ro=
adsides, on a 4x4, now you have me thinking=2E One issue that comes to mind=
 is, people walking up the driveway could trip on them, especially when the=
 garage carriage lights are relatively bright compared to everything else i=
n their field of view and would blind them to ground based obstacles=2E <br=
><br>Maybe I need some kind of top reflector as well=2E Hmm=2E <br><br><blo=
ckquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 1ex 0=2E8ex; border-=
left: 1px solid #729fcf; padding-left: 1ex;">On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:53 AM, D=
onald H Locker &lt;dhlocker@comcast=2Enet&gt; wrote:<br><br>Would reflector=
 posts work for you? Good reflectors would be very<br>visible, cost less, a=
nd require less maintenance than lighted markers=2E<br>&lt;<a href=3D"https=
://www=2Etrafficsafetystore=2Ecom/road-markers/set-of-ten">https://www=2Etr=
afficsafetystore=2Ecom/road-markers/set-of-ten</a>&gt; As long as<br>your r=
eversing lamps work and the snow is not _too_ high, these will be<br>visibl=
e=2E<br><br>To make them directional, paint the side you don't want visible=
=2E<br><br>HTH,<br>Donald=2E<br>--<br>*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessi=
bility issue<br>() no proprietary attachments; no html mail<br>/\ &lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"https://www=2Egeorgedillon=2Ecom/web/html_email_is_evil=2Eshtml">http=
s://www=2Egeorgedillon=2Ecom/web/html_email_is_evil=2Eshtml</a>&gt;<br><br>=
On 2020-09-17 9:31 a=2Em=2E, Jim Franklin wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gm=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 1ex 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid #ad=
7fa8; padding-left: 1ex;">It's impossible to back down my driveway at night=
 because of the lack of light, so I need to add something=2E Ideally I'd ha=
ve something like this; double ideally they'd be directional so they were o=
nly visible to someone backing down the driveway=2E And they'd need to be s=
omewhat stout to deal with weather, errant feet, etc=2E, but I think that's=
 mostly an installation issue=2E Have any of you done anything like this? <=
br><br>The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to g=
et into but it gives you an idea=2E I'd like solar powered with a daylight =
sensor=2E I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway=2E The bulk=
y pathway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget=2E <br><br><a href=3D"h=
ttps://www=2Epinterest=2Ecom/pin/14847873742968238/">https://www=2Epinteres=
t=2Ecom/pin/14847873742968238/</a><br><br>thanks,<br>jim<hr></blockquote></=
blockquote><hr>Shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet<br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://ww=
w=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>=
m=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk</a=
> <a href=3D"http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive">http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/a=
rchive</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/=
mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk=2Enet">http://autox=2Eteam=
=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk=2Enet</a><br><br></pr=
e></blockquote></div><br>-- <br>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=
=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E</body></html>
------IDQIZG3388BHBPL4ATJ0NLN5TDPYIF--

--===============0777823684866706678==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0777823684866706678==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 18:06:38 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6023866847056955716==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_026F_01D68DE6.74722340"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_026F_01D68DE6.74722340
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0270_01D68DE6.74722340"

------=_NextPart_001_0270_01D68DE6.74722340
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

What about the fiberglass snow sticks? Aka Fiberglass Safety =
Markers=E2=80=A6

=20

----------------

All the best,

=20

Al Fuller

=20

From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of =
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Solar driveway runway lights?

=20

Maybe just white painted posts would be enough. Where I reverse park my =
car I have a white plant pot which makes it easier to spot where the =
edge is.

On 17 September 2020 16:02:00 BST, Jim Franklin <[email-masked] =

On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Donald H Locker <[email-masked] =

HTH,
Donald.

It's impossible to back down my driveway at night because of the lack of =
light, so I need to add something. Ideally I'd have something like this; =
double ideally they'd be directional so they were only visible to =
someone backing down the driveway. And they'd need to be somewhat stout =
to deal with weather, errant feet, etc., but I think that's mostly an =
installation issue. Have any of you done anything like this?=20

The project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get =
into but it gives you an idea. I'd like solar powered with a daylight =
sensor. I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky =
pathway lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget.=20

thanks,
jim

  _____ =20

  _____ =20

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

------=_NextPart_001_0270_01D68DE6.74722340
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><!--[if =
!mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Consolas;
	panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
pre
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
	{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
	font-family:Consolas;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>What about =
the fiberglass snow sticks? Aka Fiberglass Safety =
Markers=E2=80=A6<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><img width=3D263 =
height=3D346 style=3D'width:2.7395in;height:3.6041in' =
id=3D"Picture_x0020_1" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]"><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>----------------<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>All the best,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Al =
Fuller<o:p></o:p></p></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><div =
style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in =
0in 0in'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> Shop-talk =
&lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, September 17, =
2020 12:18 PM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> =
Re: [Shop-talk] Solar driveway runway =
lights?<o:p></o:p></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>Maybe just white painted posts would be =
enough. Where I reverse park my car I have a white plant pot which makes =
it easier to spot where the edge is.<o:p></o:p></p><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>On 17 September 2020 16:02:00 BST, Jim Franklin &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<o:p></o:p></p><blockquote style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid =
#CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in'><pre =
style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'>I did the lollipop snowplow reflectors =
and they kept twisting in the wind so I'd need to go correct them every =
once in a while, plus they looked hokey. But, they worked. A reflector =
post, like on roadsides, on a 4x4, now you have me thinking. One issue =
that comes to mind is, people walking up the driveway could trip on =
them, especially when the garage carriage lights are relatively bright =
compared to everything else in their field of view and would blind them =
to ground based obstacles. <br><br>Maybe I need some kind of top =
reflector as well. Hmm. <o:p></o:p></pre><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid #729FCF 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:6.0pt'><pre>On =
Sep 17, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Donald H Locker &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br><br>Would reflector posts work for you? Good reflectors would =
be very<br>visible, cost less, and require less maintenance than lighted =
markers.<br>&lt;<a =
href=3D"https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/road-markers/set-of-ten">https=
://www.trafficsafetystore.com/road-markers/set-of-ten</a>&gt; As long =
as<br>your reversing lamps work and the snow is not _too_ high, these =
will be<br>visible.<br><br>To make them directional, paint the side you =
don't want visible.<br><br>HTH,<br>Donald.<br>--<br>*Plain Text* email =
-- it's an accessibility issue<br>() no proprietary attachments; no html =
mail<br>/\ &lt;<a =
href=3D"https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml">https:=
//www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml</a>&gt;<br><br>On =
2020-09-17 9:31 a.m., Jim Franklin wrote:<o:p></o:p></pre><blockquote =
style=3D'border:none;border-left:solid #AD7FA8 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in =
6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:6.0pt'><pre>It's =
impossible to back down my driveway at night because of the lack of =
light, so I need to add something. Ideally I'd have something like this; =
double ideally they'd be directional so they were only visible to =
someone backing down the driveway. And they'd need to be somewhat stout =
to deal with weather, errant feet, etc., but I think that's mostly an =
installation issue. Have any of you done anything like this? <br><br>The =
project in the link below is a bit more complex than I want to get into =
but it gives you an idea. I'd like solar powered with a daylight sensor. =
I don't have an easy way to run power to the driveway. The bulky pathway =
lights at $30 apiece is way out of budget. <br><br><a =
href=3D"https://www.pinterest.com/pin/14847873742968238/">https://www.pin=
terest.com/pin/14847873742968238/</a><br><br>thanks,<br>jim<o:p></o:p></p=
re><pre style=3D'text-align:center'><hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" =
align=3Dcenter></pre></blockquote></blockquote><pre =
style=3D'text-align:center'><hr size=3D2 width=3D"100%" =
align=3Dcenter></pre><pre style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>=
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/a><br>Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipe=
rmail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><=
br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talkt=
alk.net">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talk=
talk.net</a><o:p></o:p></pre></blockquote></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><br>-- <br>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. =
Please excuse my brevity.<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_001_0270_01D68DE6.74722340--

------=_NextPart_000_026F_01D68DE6.74722340
	name="image002.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_000_026F_01D68DE6.74722340--

--===============6023866847056955716==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6023866847056955716==--